+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Just got back…..

  1. #1

    Just got back…..

    Well that was a disappointment and I was really looking forward to it…….

    We looked in control until we conceded the penalty which was very careless (Kipre seemed to get caught under the ball, meaning that Nelson pretty much had to bring down the Reading striker for the penalty, as he rounded the keeper)

    The second half was so poor (both us and them). We had no shape at all and no control of the ball, creating very little. That said, neither did they…..

    The substitution didn’t help and seemed to make matters worse - the midfield two of Wintle and Ralls didn’t work.

    No one really came out the game with any credit. We looked quite assured prior to their goal and I liked the way that we were trying to play.

    Watters was again so frustrating and can’t even seem to hold the ball up. Sparky showed more endeavour but never looks to threaten and we didn’t see enough of Etete.

    A game to forget. And one that we really should have taken something from as Reading were as poor as we were.

  2. #2

    Re: Just got back…..

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Well that was a disappointment and I was really looking forward to it…….

    We looked in control until we conceded the penalty which was very careless (Kipre seemed to get caught under the ball, meaning that Nelson pretty much had to bring down the Reading striker for the penalty, as he rounded the keeper)

    The second half was so poor (both us and them). We had no shape at all and no control of the ball, creating very little. That said, neither did they…..

    The substitution didn’t help and seemed to make matters worse - the midfield two of Wintle and Ralls didn’t work.

    No one really came out the game with any credit. We looked quite assured prior to their goal and I liked the way that we were trying to play.

    Watters was again so frustrating and can’t even seem to hold the ball up. Sparky showed more endeavour but never looks to threaten and we didn’t see enough of Etete.

    A game to forget. And one that we really should have taken something from as Reading were as poor as we were.
    What surprises me about Morison is that on one hand he seems to be able to pick a player and get a rhythm going within the side and appreciate 'proper' football, and still persists with Nelson and expects a combination of Ralls and Wintle to work. It's almost as if the ghost of 2018-2022 is lurking in the shadows.

  3. #3

    Re: Just got back…..

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Well that was a disappointment and I was really looking forward to it…….

    We looked in control until we conceded the penalty which was very careless (Kipre seemed to get caught under the ball, meaning that Nelson pretty much had to bring down the Reading striker for the penalty, as he rounded the keeper)

    The second half was so poor (both us and them). We had no shape at all and no control of the ball, creating very little. That said, neither did they…..

    The substitution didn’t help and seemed to make matters worse - the midfield two of Wintle and Ralls didn’t work.

    No one really came out the game with any credit. We looked quite assured prior to their goal and I liked the way that we were trying to play.

    Watters was again so frustrating and can’t even seem to hold the ball up. Sparky showed more endeavour but never looks to threaten and we didn’t see enough of Etete.

    A game to forget. And one that we really should have taken something from as Reading were as poor as we were.
    Good summary BD. Yeah, a game to forget for sure.

  4. #4

    Re: Just got back…..

    Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    What surprises me about Morison is that on one hand he seems to be able to pick a player and get a rhythm going within the side and appreciate 'proper' football, and still persists with Nelson and expects a combination of Ralls and Wintle to work. It's almost as if the ghost of 2018-2022 is lurking in the shadows.
    Wintle is fantastic in a 3 as the holding midfielder so why try and play him in a 2 with Ralls?

  5. #5

    Re: Just got back…..

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Well that was a disappointment and I was really looking forward to it…….

    We looked in control until we conceded the penalty which was very careless (Kipre seemed to get caught under the ball, meaning that Nelson pretty much had to bring down the Reading striker for the penalty, as he rounded the keeper)

    The second half was so poor (both us and them). We had no shape at all and no control of the ball, creating very little. That said, neither did they…..

    The substitution didn’t help and seemed to make matters worse - the midfield two of Wintle and Ralls didn’t work.

    No one really came out the game with any credit. We looked quite assured prior to their goal and I liked the way that we were trying to play.

    Watters was again so frustrating and can’t even seem to hold the ball up. Sparky showed more endeavour but never looks to threaten and we didn’t see enough of Etete.

    A game to forget. And one that we really should have taken something from as Reading were as poor as we were.

    Unfortunately Nelson should have gone during the clear out.
    Kipre looks a decent signing but we need additional defensive cover. So far, Morison has had a very good record in the free transfer market. He needs to do it again

  6. #6

    Re: Just got back…..

    I think Morison made a couple of mistakes today
    Nelson should never be near the starting 11
    Watters cant play up front on his own
    Hopefully we'll learn and kick on from this very poor performance

  7. #7

    Re: Just got back…..

    Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    I think Morison made a couple of mistakes today
    Nelson should never be near the starting 11
    Watters cant play up front on his own
    Hopefully we'll learn and kick on from this very poor performance
    Yes it is early doors,chop and change find a system that works.

  8. #8

    Re: Just got back…..

    Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    I think Morison made a couple of mistakes today
    Nelson should never be near the starting 11
    Watters cant play up front on his own
    Hopefully we'll learn and kick on from this very poor performance
    I agree with this about Watters. I don't like the stick the lad's getting. He was playing non-league football 4 years ago and is being asked to bang in goals for Cardiff City on his own. He's a 23 year-old who's game isn't going to be about holding the ball up in this division or set up. Harris has got a bit more edge to him but neither are loan strikers. I don't think the new lad is going to be either. So Morison is going to have to play two up top if we've any chance of scoring.

    Nelson's got some unfair stick today too. I don't particularly like him as a player but in fairness, he did a lot of good defending today. If anything Kipre looked to be a long way short of his performance against Norwich.

    I think we should lay off Watters and be more supportive tbh because I think it's still our midfield that's a problem.

    Watched Decordova-Reid today for Fulham. There were many on here who were glad to see the back of him and said Callum Paterson was a better striker.

  9. #9

    Re: Just got back…..

    Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    I think Morison made a couple of mistakes today
    Nelson should never be near the starting 11
    Watters cant play up front on his own
    Hopefully we'll learn and kick on from this very poor performance
    Nelson gave away the pelanty but the Reading player was going to score anyway after rounding our keeper.

  10. #10

    Re: Just got back…..

    We showed more fight and guts in that game than any home game throughout last season. We only had ten senior outfield players fit for this game and brought on three teenagers in the second half.

    Where is Colwill? I thought he was a big miss for Cardiff today. After a good start you seemed to lose your way. I expected the kitchen sink in the last twenty minutes but it didn’t happen.

    Early days for both our clubs. We can take positives from today. You can takes positives from the Norwich win.

  11. #11

    Re: Just got back…..

    Agree with this. Last week against Norwich we got the ball into the opposition penalty area on about four occasions. This week it was five or six. How is any striker going to score when when we seem incapable of creating opportunities?

  12. #12

    Re: Just got back…..

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    We showed more fight and guts in that game than any home game throughout last season. We only had ten senior outfield players fit for this game and brought on three teenagers in the second half.

    Where is Colwill? I thought he was a big miss for Cardiff today. After a good start you seemed to lose your way. I expected the kitchen sink in the last twenty minutes but it didn’t happen.

    Early days for both our clubs. We can take positives from today. You can takes positives from the Norwich win.
    Colwill’s got a (convenient?) hamstring injury - there’s a pretty persistent rumour that Morison doesn’t rate him. Isaak Davies has not played any football since he was brought on as a sub in the final game of last season after recovering from a hamstring injury and lasted about ten minutes before going off with another one.

  13. #13

    Re: Just got back…..

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Colwill’s got a (convenient?) hamstring injury - there’s a pretty persistent rumour that Morison doesn’t rate him. Isaak Davies has not played any football since he was brought on as a sub in the final game of last season after recovering from a hamstring injury and lasted about ten minutes before going off with another one.
    Doesn’t rate him?! He is the only player we have with that something different! He may not be consistent enough yet, but surely Morison can see his potential (like Robert Page does, for example…….)?

    That can’t be right TOBW? (I can’t understand how he can still be injured mind you….)

  14. #14

    Re: Just got back…..

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Colwill’s got a (convenient?) hamstring injury - there’s a pretty persistent rumour that Morison doesn’t rate him. Isaak Davies has not played any football since he was brought on as a sub in the final game of last season after recovering from a hamstring injury and lasted about ten minutes before going off with another one.
    Odd that Morison doesn’t rate Colwill as he surely suits the passing style he wants the team to play. He looked a cut above in the April fixture. He needs to be playing to press his Wales claims too.

  15. #15

    Re: Just got back…..

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Odd that Morison doesn’t rate Colwill as he surely suits the passing style he wants the team to play. He looked a cut above in the April fixture. He needs to be playing to press his Wales claims too.
    Although Morison has praised Colwill in the past, he's hardly talked about him in the same way that, say, the Wales camp have done. However, there's been plenty of critical stuff from our manager concerning the player who may be the most naturally talented we have in first team contention and how he needs to do more when we're out of possession (this week he said Colwill couldn't head the ball for toffee, although, to be fair, it was meant as a joke).

    I'd also say that Morison's criticisms are valid to a degree - the manager sets great store on what we do out of possession and it certainly isn't a strong part of Colwill's game, but my view is that, especially last season, beggars cannot be choosers. Colwill was one of very few players we had who, to use the current term, could be called a "difference maker", yet he spent more time on the bench than in the starting eleven under Morison and for a while after Tommy Doyle came in from Man City on loan he wasn't even making the matchday sixteen.

    It may be that Colwill will be an automatic choice when he's fit again, but I'd be surprised if that was the case and this goes some of the way to explaining that rumour (and I emphasise it's nothing more than that) about Morison not fancying Colwill.

  16. #16

    Re: Just got back…..

    I rate Colwill very highly, he's the type of player that you would look to build a team around in my view
    Morison needs to get the best out of him, and joking or not he's hardly likely to do that with public criticism of the lad.
    Yesterday we were crying out for someone who could take hold of the ball and drive at them, we dont have too many gifted players in our team who can do that, Colwill apart.
    We have a number of players who can probably make a decent living playing in Division one or 2
    Like Nelson Harris etc
    They simply don't have the ability, football intelligence or capability to be a good Championship player
    Rather than persist with them when its blantly obvious that this is the case, I'd sooner see Denham and Colwill given a run in the side.
    Its early days and Morison is learning on the job
    Let's hope he learns quickly enough that to get the best out the players he has, he needs to add man management to list of things to improve on!

  17. #17

    Re: Just got back…..

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Although Morison has praised Colwill in the past, he's hardly talked about him in the same way that, say, the Wales camp have done. However, there's been plenty of critical stuff from our manager concerning the player who may be the most naturally talented we have in first team contention and how he needs to do more when we're out of possession (this week he said Colwill couldn't head the ball for toffee, although, to be fair, it was meant as a joke).

    I'd also say that Morison's criticisms are valid to a degree - the manager sets great store on what we do out of possession and it certainly isn't a strong part of Colwill's game, but my view is that, especially last season, beggars cannot be choosers. Colwill was one of very few players we had who, to use the current term, could be called a "difference maker", yet he spent more time on the bench than in the starting eleven under Morison and for a while after Tommy Doyle came in from Man City on loan he wasn't even making the matchday sixteen.

    It may be that Colwill will be an automatic choice when he's fit again, but I'd be surprised if that was the case and this goes some of the way to explaining that rumour (and I emphasise it's nothing more than that) about Morison not fancying Colwill.

    Maybe the championship has come too soon and he needed loan time elsewhere. The bit I don’t understand is what is his position on a pitch. Is he a central mid, a ten, a winger, etc. I just don’t know what his position is and don’t think he works hard enough to be in the spine of a team. If fit he should have played every week at the end of last season and I think that’s telling of Morisons view.

    Saying that at yesterdays match I watched some of the subs warming up at Half time and it was embarrassing how poor one in particular was at passing; not once did he find his pass and when he came on he looked like someone you work with when u are 2 up not chasing a game . Colwill would offer more

  18. #18

    Re: Just got back…..

    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Saying that at yesterdays match I watched some of the subs warming up at Half time and it was embarrassing how poor one in particular was at passing; not once did he find his pass and when he came on he looked like someone you work with when u are 2 up not chasing a game . Colwill would offer more
    Well go on then...who was it?

  19. #19

    Re: Just got back…..

    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Maybe the championship has come too soon and he needed loan time elsewhere. The bit I don’t understand is what is his position on a pitch. Is he a central mid, a ten, a winger, etc. I just don’t know what his position is and don’t think he works hard enough to be in the spine of a team. If fit he should have played every week at the end of last season and I think that’s telling of Morisons view.

    Saying that at yesterdays match I watched some of the subs warming up at Half time and it was embarrassing how poor one in particular was at passing; not once did he find his pass and when he came on he looked like someone you work with when u are 2 up not chasing a game . Colwill would offer more
    I'm old enough and I think you are as well, to remember seventeen year olds like Joe Ledley and Chris Gunter performing to a perfectly acceptable level during the noughties in the Championship and I'm not sure that things have changed so much in the last fifteen years or so that a clearly talented nineteen year old, as Colwill was last season, has to be treated as if he's not yet ready for first team football.

    It's now almost a year since Colwill came on to win a game at Forest by scoring twice - who would someone watching as a neutral have rated as the better young Welsh prospect that afternoon, Colwill or the rather anonymous Brennan Johnson who started the game and was replaced for the last ten minutes?

    That's not me saying that Colwill is a better player than Johnson or that the latter plays in a worse team than Colwill does, but it is interesting, and somewhat depressing, to note the different attitude at the two clubs towards a talented young player.

  20. #20

    Re: Just got back…..

    We just don't create enough goal scoring opportunities and when we do Harris and Watters are not the answer.
    I can think of maybe 3 or 4 in 180 minutes of football.
    A more dynamic forward moving midfield player that can lay a pass like Collwill could be what we need.
    Because from what I've seen so far although pleasing on the eye there's no end product and I can't see us scoring many goals.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •