Tuesday August 9th, ko 7:45pm
    Carabao Cup 1st round.

Match Officials:

Referee: Lee Swabey
    Assistant Referee: Christopher Husband
    Assistant Referee: Thomas Harty
    Fourth Official: Mark Derrien

Re: CARDIFF CITY v PORTSMOUTH. Match thread

I hope we put out a strong team. Based on the improvements under Morison last season and the (seemingly) good eye for signings he’s got, I’m not at all concerned about relegation this season. I think we’ll be comfortably mid table.

Might as well try go far in the cup and get a few paydays.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I hope we put out a strong team. Based on the improvements under Morison last season and the (seemingly) good eye for signings he’s got, I’m not at all concerned about relegation this season. I think we’ll be comfortably mid table.

Might as well try go far in the cup and get a few paydays.

I'd expect a full change with something like

Alnwick
    Vontae McGuinness Denham Bagan
    King Sang Ralls
    Tanner Etete Philogene

Hopefully Colwill and Davies can have some game time too, I noticed them both training with the team in a video last week so sounds positive.

International

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post

Alnwick
    King Sang Ralls
    Tanner Etete Philogene

Hopefully Colwill and Davies can have some game time too, I noticed them both training with the team in a video last week so sounds positive.

I would play most of those, we need to see what they can do and who can be added now to the first team, along with Etete next game.

I'd expect a full change…..
    You’re probably right, but I’ve never understood what a club like City stands to gain by fielding what is effectively a reserve team in a competition like this.

The manager’s unlikely to learn much by playing reserves alongside other reserves, and doing so obviously lessens the club’s chances of progressing in the competition. It seems to be standard practice now for most Championship teams, but I don’t see any benefits.

Alnwick
    King Sang Ralls
    Tanner Etete Philogene

Glen Williams seems to think Davies is out until the end of the month.

Alnwick
    King Sang Ralls
    Tanner Etete Philogene

Pretty much exactly what I'd like to see, though I'd love to see Colwill get a decent amount of gametime in a false 9 role, so I'd maybe like to see him start over Etete, and get 55/60 mins under his belt leading the line, keeping Etete sharp for a start next Saturday v Brum.

Is it 5 subs in this too, does anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin'sReversibleHat View Post
    Pretty much exactly what I'd like to see, though I'd love to see Colwill get a decent amount of gametime in a false 9 role, so I'd maybe like to see him start over Etete, and get 55/60 mins under his belt leading the line, keeping Etete sharp for a start next Saturday v Brum.
    I'd like to see colwill as a 10 behind Etete if he's fit.

I'd like to see a very similar team to Saturday's. Get them back out there and see if they can do better. We've been close to winning this competition before. We should be going for it.

Alnwick
    King Sang Ralls
    Tanner Etete Philogene

I think you're very near the mark with that team.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Is it 5 subs in this too, does anybody know?
    Been told by my son that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'd like to see a very similar team to Saturday's. Get them back out there and see if they can do better. We've been close to winning this competition before. We should be going for it.
    Forgetting the glory of winning, just making it through a few rounds nets the club some decent cash. Our trip to Anfield last season netted us somewhere in the region of £400k I believe I read. That was for a second round tie too, I'm not sure how much the reward money increases for each round you progress but I wouldn't be surprised if reaching round 4 gets us an extra £1m+

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Forgetting the glory of winning, just making it through a few rounds nets the club some decent cash. Our trip to Anfield last season netted us somewhere in the region of £400k I believe I read. That was for a second round tie too, I'm not sure how much the reward money increases for each round you progress but I wouldn't be surprised if reaching round 4 gets us an extra £1m+
    It was a 4th round tie at Anfield last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Glen Williams seems to think Davies is out until the end of the month.

Ah maybe mate, might be similar for Colwill then. At least they're both out on the grass again.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It was a 4th round tie at Anfield last season.
    Ah I worded that poorly, It was a 4th round game but only the second game of our cup run. I meant winning 3 games and getting to a 4th game.

I read on WoL that Colwill is unlikely to be involved until the end of the month. Davies I read is a little closer but I would expect both to play a few U23 games first.

After Saturday's performance there's a real incentive for a few of those players to put forward a case for Birmingham. One of the good things about this squad is the level of competition for places, so it's a good chance for a couple of people to put their hands up.

Does anyone know if this game will be available to watch or stream anywhere, by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You’re probably right, but I’ve never understood what a club like City stands to gain by fielding what is effectively a reserve team in a competition like this.

The manager’s unlikely to learn much by playing reserves alongside other reserves, and doing so obviously lessens the club’s chances of progressing in the competition. It seems to be standard practice now for most Championship teams, but I don’t see any benefits.
    To be fair I think for the first time in a long time we capable of putting out 2 different teams - both competitive.

Arguably, the front three proposed tonight might be more effective that our 'first' choice.

Match facts

• This is the first meeting between Cardiff and Portsmouth in any competition since August 2017, with the Bluebirds winning a first round League Cup tie 2-1.
    • Portsmouth have alternated between being eliminated (3) and progressing (2) from their five League Cup ties against Cardiff, getting knocked out the last time they faced them in August 2017.
    • Cardiff have lost five of their last six League Cup matches, with the exception being a 3-2 win against Sutton United at this stage last season.
    • Portsmouth have been eliminated at this stage of the League Cup in four of the last six seasons, losing 2-1 at Championship side Millwall last season.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    To be fair I think for the first time in a long time we capable of putting out 2 different teams - both competitive.

Arguably, the front three proposed tonight might be more effective that our 'first' choice.
    I think the same thing every season, then our second XI inevitably end up losing badly to a lower league team

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    [*]Cardiff have lost five of their last six League Cup matches, with the exception being a 3-2 win against Sutton United at this stage last season.
    What a mewling stat that is

Am I right in thinking it won't be available to watch on tv/ device anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    Am I right in thinking it won't be available to watch on tv/ device anywhere?
    That's right. Audio only. Won't be any streams.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    That's right. Audio only. Won't be any streams.
    Ok, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Colin'sReversibleHat View Post
    False 9 is a formation very few teams in the PL could play let alone a championship side. People
    have been watching too much Man City and Liverpool.