+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 3 PORTSMOUTH. Match thread

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 3 PORTSMOUTH. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    Just got back, some observations

We played well in the first half, put together some good passes, had a goal disallowed for offside. Philogene was excellent, Whyte not too bad either. Tanner hardly got the ball which was a bit disappointing.

Second half was garbage, let in a really soft goal, then Nelson gave away a penalty although in fairness it looked very soft from where we were. Thought Denham and Nelson were both poor, Campbell was OK but got sent off for a shocking tackle at the end. Alnwick did well in goal in fairness. Colwill looked really bright when we came on and Harris was a million times better down the left in the second than up front in the first.

In general there was a lot of passing around on the edge of the box and smashing shots into Pompey defenders. For all out good approach play we really struggled to get decent chances.
    Where did Colwill play when he came on?

I’m already pinning my hopes on him for addressing our lack of creativity!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Cardiff manager Steve Morison: "I'm at a loss at the minute. Such poor goals, just clear the ball, just defend properly.

"You've been given an opportunity to try and get yourself selected for Saturday [against Birmingham in the Championship] and no-one chose to do it.

"It's tough to take a positive out of tonight."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62387893

(The match stats are missing most of the first half action)
    Why didn’t he just say ‘it was always going to be difficult for the players with so many changes and that is on me’ or similar, and move on.

‘I’m at a loss’ just makes it sound like he doesn’t know what he is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Where did Colwill play when he came on?

I’m already pinning my hopes on him for addressing our lack of creativity!
    I'm not too sure and I was there!. I mentioned to Pedro that I thought he had slimmed down, looked leaner and even taller! It wasn't great but I'm not too worried about him as it was a grim 'team' to be playing in. He needed game time and he got it. I sensed some frustration with the situation but that would be understandable. That's all I've got I'm afraid BD. I just want to forget about it now, do some yoga. burn some incense and meditate until Saturday!

I am shocked that a team with mediocre centre-backs and centre-forwards struggled at the business ends of the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Why didn’t he just say ‘it was always going to be difficult for the players with so many changes and that is on me’ or similar, and move on.

‘I’m at a loss’ just makes it sound like he doesn’t know what he is doing.
    Doesn't really matter what he says, as with most managers it's a game of post match comments roulette.

Personally I'd have given more of the first team chance to gel and added in a few you wanted to look at. But I'm just a four times quadruple winner on football manager, what do I know

To be fair the team put out should be competitive enough, pompey also made a number of changes albeit not as many as us.

I can understand his disappointment that none of those selected haven't performed.

I really dislike the way we (and seemingly most of the championship) are happy to exit a third of our competitions a couple of matches in. Given the number of championship sides exiting yesterday pompey have a decent opportunity of a few rounds if luck is on their side.

There's almost an argument if you are promotion candidates and you can argue you have bigger fish to fry but when your ceiling is mid table in the championship a cup run may be a bit more exciting.

Bit late I know, but I do apologise for mentioning the false 9 role; apologies in particular to anyone who had the misfortune of reading through the replies

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I'm not too sure and I was there!. I mentioned to Pedro that I thought he had slimmed down, looked leaner and even taller! It wasn't great but I'm not too worried about him as it was a grim 'team' to be playing in. He needed game time and he got it. I sensed some frustration with the situation but that would be understandable. That's all I've got I'm afraid BD. I just want to forget about it now, do some yoga. burn some incense and meditate until Saturday!
    Thanks CN

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Nothing I can add to the comments......nice to see Zimba and James Waite scoring for County last night.......
    And Sam Bowen played Zimba in for his goal.

Morison seems to love distancing himself from a defeat.

A lot of his comments seem to smack of 'well I told them to go out and win and they ignored my instructions'.
    Comments like "I'm at a loss" and "You'll have to get them up here and ask them" lays the blame directly at the players door.

As much as I appreciate he hasn't had any money to work with he is very much working with the players he has brought in and if those players aren't doing it then much of the blame has to rest with him.

I think the way we have approached playing more football has been a breath of fresh air but the lack of cutting edge and soft underbelly, especially to a counter attack, is seeing the excitement Morison mentioned when assembling his squad ebbing away.
    We also haven't got an embarrassment of riches but some players clearly aren't up to it but seem to get many chances whereas others are simply overlooked.

Of the raft of new signings, Tanner is one of those I'm most interested in. Definitely a punt at £50k, he's taken a huge step up the pyramid from the Isthmian League. I wouldn't go as far as saying he was a huge disappointment last night as it was his first team debut, but clearly Morison wasn't happy and replaced him at half time. Definitely one that could benefit from a loan to a L1 or L2 team, but I like this type of purchase.

As for the others, I'd love nothing more than to see Welsh players in the team, but I'm losing patience with Harris. He clearly doesn't have the attributes to be an an out-and-out striker and doesn't look like a natural goal scorer. I agree with another post that said he was more effective in the second half out wide, but there's a queue ahead of him for starting places there and it wouldn't surprise me to see him moved on soon. Rotherham were keen on him last year, from memory. Maybe it's best for both parties that he has a fresh start somewhere else.

Despite having watched him for many years and therefore it should come as no surprise, Ralls looked even more one-footed and one-paced last night than usual. I see him quickly turning it in to another Marlon Pack. Neat and tidy when patrolling the centre of the park, but very safe and predictable. Personally I'd have let him go over the summer.

I do like the look of Eli King. He has a presence in midfield and looks to have bulked up a bit from last season. I hope he stays at the club and is given an opportunity this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Anyone know the attendance? Wasn’t announced over the tannoy.
    6,303 inc 1,114 Pompey support

Newport County 3 Portsmouth 2 last night.

We missed an opportunity with our sh*t show. Learned nothing. I hate the arrogance of Championship clubs who can't be arsed.

Waite scored and Zimba assist.