+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brexit and the Bluebirds

Brexit and the Bluebirds

Some interesting stuff on Brexit from Steve Morison earlier in the week. When asked why the club had signed just one player from abroad this summer (Jamilu Collins), he replied:

"The biggest problem with abroad is that they need to have a certain amount of points, they need fifteen points minimum. Jamilu had his points because he's played for Nigeria. He got his points by a few other things and it all added up and I think he got in by one point.

"Some players you start looking at as a recruitment team and think, 'Oh, he looks good'. You look into it, send all of the stuff over to them and then you find out he has only got twelve points, so you can't do it. So it's Brexit that's caused it to be more difficult. Unless you're signing them from the top European divisions, from the Bundesliga or Ligue 1 or Serie A, then it's a lot more difficult to bring players over here."

This set me thinking about City players from the recent past who maybe wouldn't have been able to sign for the club if the rules had been the same before Brexit and I reckon there are plenty, including Rudy Gestede, Loic Damour and Robert Glatzel. Perhaps even Bluebirds legend Andreas Cornelius wouldn't have been considered eligible, but it's all guesswork as I have no idea how the new system works.

Does anyone know how players accumulate points under this arrangement?

Re: Brexit and the Bluebirds

I'm sure there are some on here who like a table. The points system is described in a PDF on the FA Website - GBE Mens Players Criteria Jan 2021 861.9KB (PDF) (thefa.com)

My understanding is that we now have a points based immigration system that is equally applied around the world, whether you are in Germany or Ghana, whereas before signing from within the EU would have been easier.

The points based system applies across all sectors, unless the govt choose to loosen them in certain circumstances, such as if there was a nursing shortage or a lack of fork lift truck drivers or -theoretically-footballers.

It seems like a heck of a process to asign points for many different sectors, but I assume that points are accumulated based on different factors like salary, age, qualifications etc. That may be easier if talking about nurses, but probably harder to define for footballers. I guess the nearest to a qualification a footballer has is the league they are playing in, which would fit with SteMo's comment that it's easier to buy from the top leagues rather than lower down, the general principle being that the UK will take "the best from abroad" or otherwise you "hire or train up people locally". Sounds better for bricklayers or plumbers than footballers I suppose, but I guess thats the principle.

Edit: More on it here.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football...selling%20club.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I'm sure there are some on here who like a table. The points system is described in a PDF on the FA Website - GBE Mens Players Criteria Jan 2021 861.9KB (PDF) (thefa.com)
    Good grief, that's heavy going. Good luck to anyone having to work with that lot.

I hope he's not going to use that as an excuse. Same rules for everyone in the division.

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    I hope he's not going to use that as an excuse. Same rules for everyone in the division.
    He (Steve Morison) used it as an explanation for why we hadn't brought in more players this window from European leagues.

He was asked the question - and he answered it.

Yes the rules apply to all teams equally.

Morison definitely voted leave

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    100%.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    He (Steve Morison) used it as an explanation for why we hadn't brought in more players this window from European leagues.

He was asked the question - and he answered it.

Yes the rules apply to all teams equally.
    Unless you’re trying to sign someone on loan it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Unless you’re trying to sign someone on loan it seems.
    In which case, don't be Welsh.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Millwall player, explains it. He'd have been in trouble with their fans if he hadn't.

International

Good for Brittish players then, they will get the jobs and the wages and it's the same for all teams.

I'd love to know who the players we would have tried to get are

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Good for Brittish players then, they will get the jobs and the wages and it's the same for all teams.
    I notice this doesn't affect the top end of the market. I used to get fed up when some people would say that all the foreigners in the Premier League are stopping British players from developing. British players needed to up their game and be good enough. We would never have had the growth in the PL without foreigners and I dare say it is having a positive effect on British players, who now have to compete with foreign players.

there have never been as many talented young English and Welsh players as there are at the moment

Although if they don't manage to get a job over here, they now won't be able to get a job over there.

Given the BREXIT situation I wonder why the Bosman ruling remains applicable in football?

All clubs are in the same position so but of a moot point

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    All clubs are in the same position so but of a moot point
    I guess that depends what your point is or if you even have one.

From my perspective, it’d be interesting to know which foreign players City and other clubs would have been unable to sign had the Brexit rules been in place in the past. For instance, would Leicester have been able to sign Riyad Mahrez? Would Coventry have been able to sign Aron Gunnarsson? I’ve no idea, but it seems unlikely.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I notice this doesn't affect the top end of the market. I used to get fed up when some people would say that all the foreigners in the Premier League are stopping British players from developing. British players needed to up their game and be good enough. We would never have had the growth in the PL without foreigners and I dare say it is having a positive effect on British players, who now have to compete with foreign players.

Agreed with a lot of younger brittish players getting their first opportunities on loan to Championship clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Given the BREXIT situation I wonder why the Bosman ruling remains applicable in football?
    FIFA amended their transfer regulations in response to the Bosman ruling, hence the current system of "free transfers" for players over 23 but a "compensation" system for players under 23.

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I guess that depends what your point is or if you even have one.

From my perspective, it’d be interesting to know which foreign players City and other clubs would have been unable to sign had the Brexit rules been in place in the past. For instance, would Leicester have been able to sign Riyad Mahrez? Would Coventry have been able to sign Aron Gunnarsson? I’ve no idea, but it seems unlikely.
    Gunnersson would have probably had a lot of points?

I doubt it, Iceland wouldn't have been ranked high enough would they?

I doubt it. He was 19 when he signed for Coventry and had made just one appearance for AZ Alkmaar.

using an online tool it seems that the young striker at Kortrijk Pape Habib Gueye would only get 14 points