+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: West Ham

Re: West Ham

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I read that but was Pearcey joking? Looking at just how poor their support was I just don't know (I'm not suggesting Pearcey you're making this up!). I follow the Greek Superleague and thought I was watching one of their matches outside of the top 3 or 4 clubs it was so empty.
    No it’s correct. Reading used to have a block next to the away end reserved for overflow if clubs sold out. That took the away end capacity to about 3500/4000.
    Reading then put their singing section in that overflow block meaning they’re now limited to only 2000 away fans.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Isn't league game capacity at West Ham 62500 ? There are 66000 seats but they are not able to use all of them due to safety restrictions. Therefore Spurs stadium at 62850 is still the biggest actual capacity.
    I’m led to believe West Ham have more “useable” seats than Tottenham and have installed measures like this (next to the away fans ) to decrease segregation 07115E08-71D8-4586-8B77-918C1F1A8966.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    No it’s correct. Reading used to have a block next to the away end reserved for overflow if clubs sold out. That took the away end capacity to about 3500/4000.
    Reading then put their singing section in that overflow block meaning they’re now limited to only 2000 away fans.
    I think we have discussed this before , but it must cost reading around £600k per season in lost away ticket revenue

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I think we have discussed this before , but it must cost reading around £600k per season in lost away ticket revenue
    They could hire a choir and full orchestra for less than that and get more atmosphere!

Bloody hell. As TWGL1 says, that's costing them over the course of a season. When Reading scored the winner, there's wasn't much noise. Cardiff fans could be heard though!

Edit: I didn't mean they were cheering the winner!

I’m led to believe West Ham have more “useable” seats than Tottenham and have installed measures like this (next to the away fans ) to decrease segregation 07115E08-71D8-4586-8B77-918C1F1A8966.jpg
    What the **** is that. The London Stadium already has a poor atmosphere, that’s hardly going to help.

What the **** is that. The London Stadium already has a poor atmosphere, that’s hardly going to help.
    yeah, that's pretty bad!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You think our 16 k hardcore support will stick around if we get relegated ?
    Some of them wont, but that's the same for all clubs, it just happens at a different rate due to the success or lack of at a football club. The majority of people don't want to be associated with a shit product-Shock, Horror!

You said that our hardcore was around 16000, 25 years ago it was probably around the 4000 mark. Due to us playing at a higher level and some relative success, our hardcore is now 16000. Do you see where this is going? That's a 400% increase in support by my reckoning.

Bit like our green blanket at Ninian Park
    Terrible

Why do they get empty seats at home games all around the stadium then ?
    I get the assumption you don’t even go to games anyway

I get the assumption you don’t even go to games anyway
    That would be definitely the wrong assumption to make . Lots of people including a few on this thread don't go to any games at all .

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Some of them wont, but that's the same for all clubs, it just happens at a different rate due to the success or lack of at a football club. The majority of people don't want to be associated with a shit product-Shock, Horror!

You said that our hardcore was around 16000, 25 years ago it was probably around the 4000 mark. Due to us playing at a higher level and some relative success, our hardcore is now 16000. Do you see where this is going? That's a 400% increase in support by my reckoning.
    Yes I see where this is going

Absolutely nowhere near 40000 fans turning up to watch Cardiff City every other Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I think this is a really good point and think has a huge bearing on PL relegation. But Eric, if we play football like we did last season then do you really think that if we got relegated to L1 that we wouldn't shed around 30%? Maybe not the ST holders in the first relegation season but if we didn't go up, and the football didn't improve, then I really couldn't imagine much more than around 10K on a good day and ST sales to gradually decline.
    It's impossible to predict and we can only have our opinions on it.

Our fanbase has changed somewhat over the last 20 years. We've lost fans due to the red shirt fiasco, fans will come and go for various reasons, but we've had a stable number of around 16k since the days of Russell Slade, which could be better, but is a figure we've improved on with promotion and I think we'll do better than that again this season. I assume the figure of around 13k season tickets is about right. I don't think that would be affected all that much.

I'm looking at attendance figures of teams that have been Championship regulars when they've gone down to League 1. If there's been a drop in attendance, it's been the season a club has been relegated, more often than a drop the season afterwards in League 1. Several sides have seen crowds improve after relegation. Not too many clubs see a drop in crowds, any drops seem to be no more than around 2k.

Last season we managed an average attendance of just shy of 19k in a season where we were utter shit and struggled at the bottom. This season we look set to have similar crowds. I know there's a gut instinct that crowds would drop if we did get relegated, but that doesn't match the statistics.

Yes I see where this is going

Absolutely nowhere near 40000 fans turning up to watch Cardiff City every other Saturday.
    So if we averaged 31.5k in a PL relegation season, you don't think we could ever improve on that if we held our own and spent several seasons in the top flight and had the capacity to reach 40k? Is it the mushrooms this time or something herbal?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's impossible to predict and we can only have our opinions on it.

Our fanbase has changed somewhat over the last 20 years. We've lost fans due to the red shirt fiasco, fans will come and go for various reasons, but we've had a stable number of around 16k since the days of Russell Slade, which could be better, but is a figure we've improved on with promotion and I think we'll do better than that again this season. I assume the figure of around 13k season tickets is about right. I don't think that would be affected all that much.

I'm looking at attendance figures of teams that have been Championship regulars when they've gone down to League 1. If there's been a drop in attendance, it's been the season a club has been relegated, more often than a drop the season afterwards in League 1. Several sides have seen crowds improve after relegation. Not too many clubs see a drop in crowds, any drops seem to be no more than around 2k.

Last season we managed an average attendance of just shy of 19k in a season where we were utter shit and struggled at the bottom. This season we look set to have similar crowds. I know there's a gut instinct that crowds would drop if we did get relegated, but that doesn't match the statistics.
    Away with the pixies you are

If we are getting a hardcore of 16 k then obviously our gates will drop quite considerably if we get relegated

It's hard enough getting em through the door now

So if we averaged 31.5k in a PL relegation season, you don't think we could ever improve on that if we held our own and spent several seasons in the top flight and had the capacity to reach 40k? Is it the mushrooms this time or something herbal?
    This region has a history of not supporting its sports teams very well

South Wales is a big events place , we can pull big crowds but not on a consistent basis

I know it's hard to accept but it's true . I would love to see us packed out with a waiting list for season tickets but it's not going to happen .

Away with the pixies you are

If we are getting a hardcore of 16 k then obviously our gates will drop quite considerably if we get relegated

It's hard enough getting em through the door now
    Over to you, then.

How many clubs see their crowds drop after relegation to League 1? Why would we be any different.

This region has a history of not supporting its sports teams very well

South Wales is a big events place , we can pull big crowds but not on a consistent basis

I know it's hard to accept but it's true . I would love to see us packed out with a waiting list for season tickets but it's not going to happen .
    Hang on, we were close to capacity for every home game in a relegation season in the PL. That's pretty consistent.

Over to you, then.

How many clubs see their crowds drop after relegation to League 1? Why would we be any different.
    I can't be arsed

Hang on, we were close to capacity for every home game in a relegation season in the PL. That's pretty consistent.
    Yes for one season

It wouldn't take fans long to complain about boring football to have an excuse

When I was supporting CCFC in the dungeon we were under the illusion that success would bring the crowds

It hasn't really has it ?

I mean considering the size of our support area ?

It's been very disappointing

Yes for one season

When I was supporting CCFC in the dungeon we were under the illusion that success would bring the crowds

There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that your opinion would happen. You're going by pure gut instinct because you have a downer on our fan base as a whole.

Define success.

I can't be arsed
    Precisely. You know I've won this one.

Yes for one season

How many clubs in the Premier League have seen their crowds decrease after several seasons staying there?

[QUOTE=Eric the Half a Bee;5330953]There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that your opinion would happen. You're going by pure gut instinct because you have a downer on our fan base as a whole.

Honestly I can't be arsed

You can get your little book out all day long

If you think success has brought increased crowds to Cardiff city you are ignoring the very facts you like to wax about

15500 v Leeds

Great win

4 days later

And this sort of event has been a regular occurance in this clubs history

Big game .....oh let's have some of that

Few games later ......can't be bothered

Deny it all you want , it's always been the same

How many clubs in the Premier League have seen their crowds decrease after several seasons staying there?
    Ask statto