+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: West Ham

West Ham

Now has the biggest capacity in London for league games.

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/...adium-capacity

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/62441004

62,443 today , amazing support

Re: West Ham

And have sold a record number of season tickets. 55,000!

Quite something. My mum is from that part of the world and I remember going to a family party in the late 90s in the east end and driving around there and essex and seeing west ham shirts hanging on the lines everywhere.

The whole issue with their capacity is weird though. Why so many hoops to jump through!?

How long is this sustainable ?

United , Liverpool , have the day tripper support

And whilst West Ham have a good following they are no Spurs or Arsenal in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    How long is this sustainable ?

United , Liverpool , have the day tripper support

And whilst West Ham have a good following they are no Spurs or Arsenal in my opinion
    I hate the hammers.
    I still hold a grudge with Defoe after that 3-2 defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    I hate the hammers.
    Big club

Third in size in London after Spurs and Arsenal ?

But I don't think they can compete with the big boys

It remains to be seen if these 60000 gates continue

However there were loads of empty seats at this new ground not long back ?

Big club

Third in size in London after Spurs and Arsenal ?

But I don't think they can compete with the big boys

It remains to be seen if these 60000 gates continue

However there were loads of empty seats at this new ground not long back ?
    Not sure why you don’t think they’ll keep these crowds. We get ~4k walk ups on average with 14k season tickets. If it scales up evenly then their 55k ST would be ~15k walk ups. Considering they’re a much bigger club and have a much bigger catchment area plus the tourists in London I wouldn’t be surprised if it was higher.

As for the empty seats they’ve had restrictions on their capacity from the local government. The reason for the record crowd today was they were given permission to increase capacity by 2500.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Not sure why you don’t think they’ll keep these crowds. We get ~4k walk ups on average with 14k season tickets. If it scales up evenly then their 55k ST would be ~15k walk ups. Considering they’re a much bigger club and have a much bigger catchment area plus the tourists in London I wouldn’t be surprised if it was higher.

As for the empty seats they’ve had restrictions on their capacity from the local government. The reason for the record crowd today was they were given permission to increase capacity by 2500.
    I think that Liverpool and United have fans to replace any fan that wants to give up their season ticket

They are enormous worldwide clubs

Below them in British football are spurs , the arse , man City, Newcastle

West Ham are a well supported club but if they dropped down the league or just tread water like I think they probably will do I can't see them getting 60000 plus gates

That puts them above Newcastle in terms of support . I don't think they are that big personally .

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    I hate the hammers.
    Yes. Earnie scored a belter, we battered them that first half, then that dodgy penalty and they took over. It was only just after we got promoted and we showed we were a good side at that new level. Earnshaw was unstoppable at the time.

I think that Liverpool and United have fans to replace any fan that wants to give up their season ticket

They are enormous worldwide clubs

Below them in British football are spurs , the arse , man City, Newcastle

West Ham are a well supported club but if they dropped down the league or just tread water like I think they probably will do I can't see them getting 60000 plus gates

That puts them above Newcastle in terms of support . I don't think they are that big personally .
    Apparently they've got 20k-30k members which automatically puts you on the ST waiting list. Most people on the waiting list seem to wait several years before getting one.

We sold 14500 STs last season and are on around the same now after our worst season in 20 odd years. I can only see relegation being enough to take their crowds below 60,000.

Apparently they've got 20k-30k members which automatically puts you on the ST waiting list. Most people on the waiting list seem to wait several years before getting one.

We sold 14500 STs last season and are on around the same now after our worst season in 20 odd years. I can only see relegation being enough to take their crowds below 60,000.
    Well you might be right . I personally feel they are going to find it difficult to keep up that level of support .

We could win the league ten times in a row and wouldn't get those gates

Well you might be right . I personally feel they are going to find it difficult to keep up that level of support .

We could win the league ten times in a row and wouldn't get those gates
    Oh yes we would. You're basing our support on the 80s and 90s when there was a UK wide problem with attendances.

Cannot stand West Ham. The sooner they go down to league 3 the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Oh yes we would. You're basing our support on the 80s and 90s when there was a UK wide problem with attendances.
    Not a chance could we ever average gates of 60000

CCFC could be playing in some people's back garden and the excuses would come out to go shopping

Not a chance could we ever average gates of 60000

CCFC could be playing in some people's back garden and the excuses would come out to go shopping
    We took 40k for the FA Cup final in a season we were averaging 13k crowds and could’ve taken more. We were selling out 33k when facing relegation in the Premier League.

If we won the PL 10 times in a row we’d be moving to the Millennium Stadium.

We sold out 40k for the FA Cup final in a season we were averaging 13k crowds. We were selling out 33k when facing relegation in the Premier League.

Absolutely. We'd sell it out as well. Sludge reckons we'd be having crowds of 4k if we were relegated.

We took 40k for the FA Cup final in a season we were averaging 13k crowds and could’ve taken more. We were selling out 33k when facing relegation in the Premier League.

Glory seekers

I know plenty of so called Cardiff fans who pleaded for fa cup final tickets and have barely watched us since

The fact we were only getting gates of 13000 or so in the championship surely shows you that we simply don't have the support the bigger clubs have ?

We returned 1500 tickets to Middlesborough when we beat them to get to Wembley

Again that tells a story to anyone except the most one eyed of Cardiff fans

We got good gates in the Premier league but they don't stick around do they ?

Against Norwich we had a crowd of just under 20000 with 1500 or so Norwich

18500 home fans

Swansea City had around 16000 home fans on Saturday

Now people may not like this but part of our problem is embarrassing ourselves thinking we are a bigger club than we actually are . We are , given that Swansea is a much smaller populated area , a club of similar size . I can't stand the jacks but you don't hear them talking about getting big crowds .

When hammam was here he and his followers were talking about huge crowds of 60000 !

I can't believe people are still doing it , it really is embarrassing 😳

Glory seekers

I know plenty of so called Cardiff fans who pleaded for fa cup final tickets and have barely watched us since

The fact we were only getting gates of 13000 or so in the championship surely shows you that we simply don't have the support the bigger clubs have ?

We returned 1500 tickets to Middlesborough when we beat them to get to Wembley

Again that tells a story to anyone except the most one eyed of Cardiff fans

We got good gates in the Premier league but they don't stick around do they ?

Against Norwich we had a crowd of just under 20000 with 1500 or so Norwich

18500 home fans

Swansea City had around 16000 home fans on Saturday

Now people may not like this but part of our problem is embarrassing ourselves thinking we are a bigger club than we actually are . We are , given that Swansea is a much smaller populated area , a club of similar size . I can't stand the jacks but you don't hear them talking about getting big crowds .

When hammam was here he and his followers were talking about huge crowds of 60000 !

I can't believe people are still doing it , it really is embarrassing 😳
    Yeah you’ve cracked it. We wouldn’t get any glory seekers for winning the PL 10 times in a row.

Absolutely. We'd sell it out as well. Sludge reckons we'd be having crowds of 4k if we were relegated.
    The only way that the millennium stadium would be full for a football match would be to get Liverpool or Man United to play there .

There are plenty of football fans around here but sadly most of them are not Cardiff fans .

I wish it wasn't true , I would love to see a successful Cardiff City , supported by the crowds you talk about but its never going to happen .

Sorry .

Yeah you’ve cracked it. We wouldn’t get any glory seekers for winning the PL 10 times in a row.
    Our fans emerge out of the woodwork for the big games ......take the fa Cup, carling Cup etc ......then vanish

The history of Cardiff City crowds don't tell of these huge crowds , they show a region capable of getting good gates for big games but then a return to moderate support.

It's always been this way .

Our fans emerge out of the woodwork for the big games ......take the fa Cup, carling Cup etc ......then vanish

The history of Cardiff City crowds don't tell of these huge crowds , they show a region capable of getting good gates for big games but then a return to moderate support.

True, you’ve conceived me. A Premier League title challenge is more in line with a championship fixture against Norwich than a major cup final.

It's that way for most clubs at our level. The only clubs at our level who still get the best gates are the ones who have had sustained presence in the PL.

I'm getting a bit fed up of discussing crowds with you. Your knowledge of football crowds beyond the 90s clearly hasn't improved. There is no evidence of our crowds plummeting to 90s levels. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that if we were PL regulars, we would soon outgrow the CCS. This is the same for so many clubs, not just us. I can see it. The data proves it.

It's that way for most clubs at our level. The only clubs at our level who still get the best gates are the ones who have had sustained presence in the PL.

I'm getting a bit fed up of discussing crowds with you. Your knowledge of football crowds beyond the 90s clearly hasn't improved. There is no evidence of our crowds plummeting to 90s levels. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that if we were PL regulars, we would soon outgrow the CCS. This is the same for so many clubs, not just us. I can see it. The data proves it.
    yet again sludge clueless on his favourite subject, Cardiff crowds and now also West Ham crowds

its been explained why West Hams crowds have been lower, council restrictions, they are a big club support wise, the Boleyn ground was great but they outgrew the capacity, the will easily sustain an average of 60000 all season,support for them in East London and Essex is massive
    As for Cardiff Sludge just cannot grasp that we have NEVER had sustained success and that's what builds higher support base, getting to the prem and staying there would easily see us fill CCS on a weekly basic,

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    yet again sludge clueless on his favourite subject, Cardiff crowds and now also West Ham crowds

its been explained why West Hams crowds have been lower, council restrictions, they are a big club support wise, the Boleyn ground was great but they outgrew the capacity, the will easily sustain an average of 60000 all season,support for them in East London and Essex is massive
    As for Cardiff Sludge just cannot grasp that we have NEVER had sustained success and that's what builds higher support base, getting to the prem and staying there would easily see us fill CCS on a weekly basic,
    You are another deluded Cardiff City fan , the type the jacks take the piss out of on a regular basis

When we were in the lower leagues some of our fans , the likes of you clearly , would say oh wait till we get back into the championship , watch our crowds then ! , huge , sell outs , potential , sleeping giant and all that bollocks 😴

Our first crowd back v Bradford? , including 500 of them ......16421

17 years away from any sort of success .....we get some .......and that's the sort of crowd we get

Basically what Cardiff fans like you are saying is yes we can get big crowds .......but only if we are doing well

That's a pretty poor defence 😕

As for West Ham I don't think they will be getting 60000 gates for long

The data proves that considering we have a catchment area of about 1 million , with no other professional club to compete with , this club does not get crowds on a regular basis to justify us being mooted as a big club , even by championship standards

I know this hurts people , we would all love CCFC to be getting better support from the locals but it's always been the same

Even a successful Cardiff City doesn't seem to hold onto its support . People fight to get season tickets when we go up but after the inevitable relegation 15000 of them disappear . I almost feel that locally people are there to watch the big teams as much as they are to watch us .

Cardiff fans and some of our players believe their own hype .....big club , massive club etc

We are no bigger than Swansea , Plymouth , Bristol , Coventry etc

It's sad but it's true