+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sports Report dropping the classified football results on a Saturday

Sports Report dropping the classified football results on a Saturday

A sporting tradition going back decades is no more - BBC Radio 5 Live will stop broadcasting the classified football results at 5pm on Saturdays.

"With the addition of the 5.30pm live Premier League match to our coverage, Sports Report has been condensed into a shorter programme," the BBC said.

The BBC said it would still offer goal updates throughout the day on air.

The results have been read out by Charlotte Green since she took over from James Alexander Gordon in 2013.

"We would like to thank everyone who has read the classified football results on 5 Live over the years," the BBC's statement continued.

The corporation added that fans could also keep across the results on the BBC Sport website and Final Score on BBC One.

The classified football results listed all football results across the English and Scottish leagues.

Alexander Gordon, who died at the age of 78 in 2014, read the results for more than 40 years.

Sports Report first ran on the BBC Light Programme before moving to Network 3 and later BBC Two before it found its permanent home on 5 Live in 1994.

Green was a BBC Radio 4 news announcer before taking up the baton from Alexander Gordon in 2013.

The results were preceded by its now famous theme tune.

Not all fans and commentators were happy with the news.

Chief football writer at The Times, Henry Winter, tweeted that "the decision to scrap the service shows a lack of understanding of the fans".

Re: Sports Report dropping the classified football results on a Saturday

How are we going to check our pools entries now?

Hasn't 5 Live broadcast the Saturday evening Premier League games before?

Being a right saddo there’s been many a time when City have been one up away from home with 20mins to go and the nerves got to me. I’d switch everything off until the classified results just praying that whoever we were playing hadn’t added to their 4.30 score. Worked sometimes but sadly not often enough. A great institution the classified results together with its associated military music.

Good decision for me. If you want to see a score you can find it without having to sit through the monotony of every result. A move with the times.

Social media is a great way to test public opinion.
    Make an announcement then see what the response is like. If its in general agreement then leave as it is. If there's strong feelings against then reverse the decision and look like a hero.
    It'll be back in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Good decision for me. If you want to see a score you can find it without having to sit through the monotony of every result. A move with the times.
    Maybe, as a football fan, rather than just a City fan, you want to know how other sides have got on?

I won't miss it

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Maybe, as a football fan, rather than just a City fan, you want to know how other sides have got on?
    Whether it's cricket, football - even golf, tradition only seems increasingly unimportant to all but a few. I was reading comments in the Daily Mail this morning about football fans walk back to their cars in the cold and damp after a game just in time to switch on Sports Report at 5pm for the 'classified results'.
    It's a shame. Probably the only time I actually tune into the BBC nowadays.

Not sure what the 5.30 kick off has to do with it. I suspect they used that as a reminder of their Saturday evening 'rights'.
    I'd say a full read through definitely makes you aware of other games, teams, leagues. If I just used my Livescore app I probably wouldn't look below the championship too often. I do like the broad perspective approach, surely that's what the BBC are supposed to be all about

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Not sure what the 5.30 kick off has to do with it. I suspect they used that as a reminder of their Saturday evening 'rights'.
    I'd say a full read through definitely makes you aware of other games, teams, leagues. If I just used my Livescore app I probably wouldn't look below the championship too often. I do like the broad perspective approach, surely that's what the BBC are supposed to be all about
    I am right in thinking that 5 Live don’t offer live commentary on every Saturday evening Premier League game aren’t I?

I am right in thinking that 5 Live don’t offer live commentary on every Saturday evening Premier League game aren’t I?
    They didn't used to but I'm guessing this has gone exclusive from this season hence their obvious plug.
    https://radiotoday.co.uk/2022/05/bbc...league-rights/

Real shame for me. Firstly, it is of genuine interest. If you are driving (or not) you know you will hear all the results in one go. If you are only interested in your club, it's likely you will be tuning into a local station, or following online, but by definition, the national station should cater more for people with a holistic interest in football.

We all support a club of course, and for some people, their interest in football ends there, but many others want to know whats happening in other leagues, or at games where friends are attending, or see how their second team is getting on, or just because they also follow the other leagues as well.

It takes a couple of minutes, is an iconic reason to listen to 5 live, and is genuinely useful. Retrograde step for me, and I suspect it will be back "by popular demand" before long.

Will miss this too. Generally my signal is rubbish down the stadium until I’m pretty much at the car so it’s easier to just chuck the results on

Yet more cap doffing to the Premier league tossers

Feck em all

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Absolutely fantastic

Henry Winter was on Radio 4's new programme 'PM' at 5 o'clock and is up in arms about it and elite football displacing non-Premier League activity. He reckons that the decision will have to be overturned.

Here are the classified football results

Read by (of course)

James Alexander Gordon.

City did well

and East Fife scored 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me8N...xTjERA&index=2

Did you know that on Sunday 22 July East Fife drew 1-1 with Forfar in then Scottish league cup

But on penalties Forfar wonGues how many by

Yes the penalty scorer was

East Fife 4 Forfar 5

I haven't bothered with the BBC since I got FotMob, and all the clubs and various football journalists are on Twitter anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I haven't bothered with the BBC since I got FotMob, and all the clubs and various football journalists are on Twitter anyway.
    What about tuning in to the car radio if you’re driving home straight after the game? Invaluable service having the full results read out.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    What about tuning in to the car radio if you’re driving home straight after the game? Invaluable service having the full results read out.
    I'd know the full results before I got out of the stadium

BBC sticking to their guns, it’ll give them more time to talk about the Premier League - they’re another broadcaster/media group that is beginning to forget that there is football beyond “the best league in the world”.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...s-radio-5-live

Look online 👋

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Look online ��
    While driving home from the match?