+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Fascism?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Fascism?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Just another day from Doucus on CCMB with him casually accusing people of supporting one of the most murderous regimes in history.
    Isn’t the point that they weren’t one of the most murderous regimes in history during the period Doucas mentions. I don’t believe for a second that the millions of Germans who backed the Nazis in the thirties did so because they were aware of what Hitler was going to do in the early forties - were they really in favour of the culling of the Jews on a scale like that?

I believe that it is completely possible for people who consider themselves to be entirely reasonable and normal to be won over by extreme parties on the right and left if the right buttons are pushed. We can argue the toss about the list of fourteen points about fascism as much as we like, but my point is that the current Government ticks more of those boxes than any other one, Conservative or Labour, of my lifetime. I said earlier in the thread that I put a question mark in the title because I wasn’t convinced that it was Fascism that I was referring to, but I do find some of the responses which followed a bit complacent - I can’t remember a time more like the thirties in my life than now and I feel it’s now a bit easier to see how people were taken in by the likes of Hitler and Mussolini back then.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Isn’t the point that they weren’t one of the most murderous regimes in history during the period Doucas mentions. I don’t believe for a second that the millions of Germans who backed the Nazis in the thirties did so because they were aware of what Hitler was going to do in the early forties - were they really in favour of the culling of the Jews on a scale like that?

I believe that it is completely possible for people who consider themselves to be entirely reasonable and normal to be won over by extreme parties on the right and left if the right buttons are pushed. We can argue the toss about the list of fourteen points about fascism as much as we like, but my point is that the current Government ticks more of those boxes than any other one, Conservative or Labour, of my lifetime. I said earlier in the thread that I put a question mark in the title because I wasn’t convinced that it was Fascism that I was referring to, but I do find some of the responses which followed a bit complacent - I can’t remember a time more like the thirties in my life than now and I feel it’s now a bit easier to see how people were taken in by the likes of Hitler and Mussolini back then.
    I suppose when you put it like that, it's a fair question to ask, although personally I would view it in the same way as asking whether Cardiff City on the trajectory to Champions League football having beaten Norwich 1-0 last week. We were moving in that direction afterall..

More generally, I think this kind of talk leads to people like Doucus speading more of his insults. I think there is also a concern about some on the left using fear as a voting technique..ie...vote for us, or else you get Tory fascism!

This is the kind of tactic some Republicans use in Florida to drive up the latino vote - ie, vote for us or else you get Democrat communism!

I think it's a bit of a radical and inflammatory position to take personally, but so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Did you really compare the world in the 1930s with today?

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    Did you really compare the world in the 1930s with today?
    What I said (it’s there in the post you replied to) is that I can’t remember a time more like the thirties than now - that’s not quite what you’re claiming I said, but I’d be interested to hear which decades since the fifties were more like the thirties in your opinion than the 2010s and 20s?