First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Re: Super day of sport in the capital on Saturday

And a train strike…

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    And a train strike…
    Which is Wales national sport!!

All good until the Speedway, driving around in a circle isn’t a sport, same as Formula One

saw the Welsh fire bus driving to Wales on Friday when I was driving upto Wales to pick up my mum for the weekend down here, then when I dropped her home on Sunday I over took the same bus driving over the Bridge, didnt realise it was cricket, is it the 100 ball game ? ? ?

Certainly a fair few Birmingham fans have stayed down for the cricket today. In terms of attendance probably not much difference in bums on seats to the city game either. About 15k or so at sophia gardens again.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Certainly a fair few Birmingham fans have stayed down for the cricket today. In terms of attendance probably not much difference in bums on seats to the city game either. About 15k or so at sophia gardens again.
    A few Taffs too.

Cracking crowd.

The Hundred still seems like a circus to me but nice way to spend the day on the lash.

Well, the Fire fecked that right up! Again

Fair play to Kane Richardson.
    Super bowling at the death.

I’ll accept GSTQ in the MillStad for once. Superb result Dan Bewley. Another great night of entertainment (except the ffing air horns).

Not a sport 45,000? A few more than at Sophia Gardens I suspect!

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I’ll accept GSTQ in the MillStad for once. Superb result Dan Bewley. Another great night of entertainment (except the ffing air horns).

45 000 is impressive.

Those bikes won't do that pitch any good.

Is Phil Crump still racing?

Of course it's a sport, and a good one too, but it was a shambles tonight. The track was so poor, the racing was processional and it was dangerous for the riders. They've been doing it there for twenty years now, how can they be getting it so wrong? Considering Britain has got one of the best tracks out there in Belle Vue it's embarrassing to stage its Grand Prix at one of the worst.

Saying that, it's still a great event and Bewley saved the night by deservedly winning it. Madsen was an idiot for not taking blue in the final and Bewley cashed in. Not sure I've ever seen a sportsman with less of an ego than he's got, even the other riders seemed genuinely pleased for him. Top man.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

Is Phil Crump still racing?
    Yes, made the semis tonight. Excellent effort for a seventy-year-old.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Of course it's a sport, and a good one too, but it was a shambles tonight. The track was so poor, the racing was processional and it was dangerous for the riders. They've been doing it there for twenty years now, how can they be getting it so wrong? Considering Britain has got one of the best tracks out there in Belle Vue it's embarrassing to stage its Grand Prix at one of the worst.

Saying that, it's still a great event and Bewley saved the night by deservedly winning it. Madsen was an idiot for not taking blue in the final and Bewley cashed in. Not sure I've ever seen a sportsman with less of an ego than he's got, even the other riders seemed genuinely pleased for him. Top man.
    So do people watch this week in week out? Like home and away?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    So do people watch this week in week out? Like home and away?
    Yes but the club following in the UK varies massively, I guess Belle Vue probably take the biggest crowds with them.

Many traditional clubs have folded in recent years, including Newcastle this season. Commercially the Polish League dominates and they take a huge crowd to the GPs. At least quarter of tonight’s crowd.

Answering Loramski, yes the track was rubbish again, too many stoppages, they get it wrong too often, especially as it was an Ole Olesen track tonight.

I remember when they had to put some sort of matting by the corner flags at Somerton Park because they were part of the speedway track for Newport Wasps - wasn’t there speedway at Leckwith for a while as well?

Yes. 3 seasons in early 50,s. Stadium Close off Penarth Road is where the track was.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton68 View Post
    Yes. 3 seasons in early 50,s. Stadium Close off Penarth Road is where the track was.
    Picture of it here and a mention of one on Sloper Road (where City Gardens is now) between the wars.

https://cardiffpast.wordpress.com/20...ay-in-cardiff/

My mother-in-law (who is 81) says she used to watch speedway on Dinas Powys Common when she was a child but I can't find any reference to that.

Answering Loramski, yes the track was rubbish again, too many stoppages, they get it wrong too often, especially as it was an Ole Olesen track tonight.
    If you were wondering how the under-21 world championships would go today considering the best riders in the world were struggling to get round in one piece last night then you wouldn't have needed to let your imagination run riot to get the answer.

We turned up about an hour after the scheduled start time, I expected the meeting to be half over but heat 5 was just being restarted. Track grading was taking place after every other race in the interests of safety which was fair enough but it was time consuming and didn't seem to be making it safer at all. There were crashes virtually every race, even the current champion, Jakub Miskowiak, smashed into the air fence with no one near him.

The British boys (Brennan and Flint) rode well and both scored nine points. In normal circumstances this would've qualified them for the semi finals but there weren't any. After heat 20 got stopped three times the organisers decided to call it a day and awarded it on points gained in the heats. Start time was 1.00, it got called off at 4.40 with three races unridden.

A farcical weekend there. A decent crowd today and the presentation was excellent, as always, but if you neglect the sport itself then there's no point in doing it. Dan Bewley saved the organisers' skins by winning last night but I'm sure most riders, fans, viewers etc will realise it wasn't good enough.

I got to go to Newport to watch a days play in the Welsh Open tennis at Rodney Parade in the mid seventies when the group of school friends I was with managed to annoy Frew McMillan, who was playing singles that day, because we were making too much noise, but, although I always intended to, I never got around to going there to watch the speedway. Motor racing has always bored me rigid, but I don’t mind speedway - I’d quite often watch it when they had it on Sky a few years back.