+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New signing: Jack Simpson

Re: New signing: Jack Simpson

Rangers are probably a bit better than us so one may hope our ( developing ) club will benefit from his left sided defence skills , has more game experience than other youngsters at the club h .. Let's judge the lad after he has actually kicked a ball ....

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Rangers are probably a bit better than us so one may hope our ( developing ) club will benefit from his left sided defence skills , has more game experience than other youngsters at the club h .. Let's judge the lad after he has actually kicked a ball ....
    That's not the way of some on this board - written off before he starts and a queue waiting for SM to fail so they can say told you so and then we repeat with the next signing and/or player.

Looking forward to Saturday and WBA away - excited by this group and I am going as I want to be part of it 👍

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    If that word salad means what I think it does; then I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    That's not the way of some on this board - written off before he starts and a queue waiting for SM to fail so they can say told you so and then we repeat with the next signing and/or player.

Looking forward to Saturday and WBA away - excited by this group and I am going as I want to be part of it 👍
    If we avoid a relegation scrap, for me that will be success, albeit modest. Everything has to be taken into consideration - the loss of experienced players, the bringing together 14 new faces who at most have only had 1.5 competitive games together, and the not inconsequential fact that few if any have experience of football at this level. Oh, and throw in the by-now-accepted-by-nearly-everybody fact that our forward options are barely league 1 standard.

Early, early days.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post

Not sure if that’s aimed at me. I never want any of our new signings or managers to fail. I’ll be over the moon if the boy does well for us.
    I am entitled to an opinion though. I’d like our club to be a bit more ambitious and attempt another promotion bid.
    The Scottish old firm are both shadows of their former selves nowadays, so picking up a player of that age from them, who can’t get a run in their first team, hardly inspires me.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Not sure if that’s aimed at me. I never want any of our new signings or managers to fail. I’ll be over the moon if the boy does well for us.
    I am entitled to an opinion though. I’d like our club to be a bit more ambitious and attempt another promotion bid.
    The Scottish old firm are both shadows of their former selves nowadays, so picking up a player of that age from them, who can’t get a run in their first team, hardly inspires me.
    Absolutely you are entitled to your opinion - I was just voicing mine in terms that how this board feels after a loss - if you feel it was aimed at you specifically then I doubt it as if so I would have referred to a particular post of yours.

As I said each to their own - surely that is what this board is about - I was purely making an opinionated observation that I don't agree with that approach and will take a different view

👍

Could this signing mean it's time up for Mark McGuinness already? He made 34 league appearances last season, but he didn't make the bench for either of City's first two league games and he was left on the bench last night despite the dire defending from Nelson.

McGuinness was given the number 5 shirt before the season started. I assumed that meant we'd be seeing him in the side in the early season games, but he's been the odd man out so far.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Could this signing mean it's time up for Mark McGuinness already? He made 34 league appearances last season, but he didn't make the bench for either of City's first two league games and he was left on the bench last night despite the dire defending from Nelson.

McGuinness was given the number 5 shirt before the season started. I assumed that meant we'd be seeing him in the side in the early season games, but he's been the odd man out so far.
    I can see him going out on a season long loan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I can see him going out on a season long loan.
    if we DO revert to 3 at the back, presumably we would want at least 2 to cover those positions, that can be Denham and McGuiness, and challenge them to force their way into the first XI.
    I can't see us suddenly keeping a load of clean sheets either, so there should be opportunities still

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    if we DO revert to 3 at the back, presumably we would want at least 2 to cover those positions, that can be Denham and McGuiness, and challenge them to force their way into the first XI.
    I can't see us suddenly keeping a load of clean sheets either, so there should be opportunities still
    I know we almost certainly shouldn’t read too much into such things, but the fact that the club used Nelson for the kit launch pictures sent shivers down my spine. To me, that suggested he’ll be sticking around come what may.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Why would we go back to 3/5 at the back? We haven’t played it once this season or in pre season

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We're up to what, 15 signings now? Absolutely ridiculous, I'm not sure many of them could be described as above average Championship footballers

Hopefully now people will stop buying the bullshit about Morison being good for our young players
    But Morison says he will use them? Just because we have 30ish senior pros won’t affect that

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Let’s be honest this window has been quantity rather than quality. Worrying times.
    Absolutely. Scatter gun approach. Little spent on anyone. If a few become good, then fantastic. If not, League 1.

I wouldn't describe this window as scattergun at all - quite the opposite. SM has clearly tried to get two first team quality players available for each position with a few extras (assuming there will be outgoings).

He's had to do it on a much reduced wage budget and very few transfer funds. Inevitably some of the signings will be duds but we won't really know that for a few months yet.

"English side"? Bit of a pointless dig

Quote Originally Posted by Sts'ikel View Post
    I wouldn't describe this window as scattergun at all - quite the opposite. SM has clearly tried to get two first team quality players available for each position with a few extras (assuming there will be outgoings).

He's had to do it on a much reduced wage budget and very few transfer funds. Inevitably some of the signings will be duds but we won't really know that for a few months yet.
    He's signed 15 players, and wants more. We have 29 players. We do not have the tiny budget that the club or seemingly the press want us to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

I mentioned much the same on another thread - back around the turn of the year (so under Morison’s management) he was probably our first choice centreback, now with Simpson’s arrival, it looks to me like he’s sixth in the queue. As others have remarked, we could probably do with losing a few senior players after bringing in so many new ones with the chance of more to come - McGuinness has become a pretty obvious candidate to leave in my view.

After the debacle of Tuesday night, I would McGuinness has moved up a few places in the pecking order, with one maybe going out on loan and the other one back to League 1 or even 2 on that performance.
    Some of the other players who featured on Tuesday like Tanner, King and Campbell need to oo out on loan to help there development.
    2 or 3 others just need to be moved on

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    After the debacle of Tuesday night, I would McGuinness has moved up a few places in the pecking order, with one maybe going out on loan and the other one back to League 1 or even 2 on that performance.
    Some of the other players who featured on Tuesday like Tanner, King and Campbell need to oo out on loan to help there development.
    2 or 3 others just need to be moved on
    Nelson in particular needs to hit the ejector seat.