+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How are “Hundred “ squads chosen ?

How are “Hundred “ squads chosen ?

I’m trying to find out how most of the other squads have top names, but Welsh Fire do not. The withdrawal of Jonny Bairstow was extremely disappointing, with a lot of fans buying tickets ,on the pretence of watching him play. It just seems unfair that some teams have big names, but the apart from Ollie Pope, the Fire have no one of any real significance. Can someone please enlighten me how it all works out ?

Re: How are “Hundred “ squads chosen ?

It’s an IPL type auction where the coaches choose the players I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    I’m trying to find out how most of the other squads have top names, but Welsh Fire do not. The withdrawal of Jonny Bairstow was extremely disappointing, with a lot of fans buying tickets ,on the pretence of watching him play. It just seems unfair that some teams have big names, but the apart from Ollie Pope, the Fire have no one of any real significance. Can someone please enlighten me how it all works out ?
    There’s nothing Welsh about them and they have zero Fire

Supporting them as it says Welsh was my starting point but I live nearer Southern Brave. I have no affinity to Welsh Fire but wanted them to do well this season and last.

I agree about the Bairstow point; I went to their first game and my kids love the Hundred. The kids tried to support them but the players gave nothing. The oldest two bought Southern Brave hats as they left

Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post

Supporting them as it says Welsh was my starting point but I live nearer Southern Brave. I have no affinity to Welsh Fire but wanted them to do well this season and last.

I agree about the Bairstow point; I went to their first game and my kids love the Hundred. The kids tried to support them but the players gave nothing. The oldest two bought Southern Brave hats as they left
    Is anybody voicing their disapproval at Southern Brave if their players are not Southern?

Well Pope will be off with England test team and Duckett called up for the England Lions .... I don't understand playing The Hundred,One Day 50 Over and Test matches at the same time ....

We went to the Oval invincible game last Sunday afternoon, with our g/children. Perfect afternoon for a good game. We bought the tickets ages ago, but when I compared both line ups, the result was always going to be a formality. I would go again for certain, but it would help if it was a more level playing field. Don’t think the cricket loving South Wales public are treated fairly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Is anybody voicing their disapproval at Southern Brave if their players are not Southern?
    Southern Brave are based in Southampton and have two Hampshire players and seven from Sussex in their squad - a completely different situation compared to the Welsh Fire.

Western would have been a better name. Western Fire. Why try to cash in on Welsh.

Western would have been a better name. Western Fire. Why try to cash in on Welsh.
    Because it is in Cardiff. It's a terrible competition and the sooner Tom Harrison sods off the better. He's done a right number on cricket. The 100 can **** off into the Sun for all I care. It's a dreadful franchise system, designed to kill the counties and will do precisely **** all for involvement and participation, it might even harm it. At least the ECB board made a few mil each over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Because it is in Cardiff. It's a terrible competition and the sooner Tom Harrison sods off the better. He's done a right number on cricket. The 100 can **** off into the Sun for all I care. It's a dreadful franchise system, designed to kill the counties and will do precisely **** all for involvement and participation, it might even harm it. At least the ECB board made a few mil each over it.
    Maybe.

But the crowds suggest not

It looks like Welsh Fire had all the stragglers still standing against the wall. I can’t see them staying the course and will soon be replaced.

I did find it quite amusing looking through the squads. Only the 2nd season and there was also another auction this year, yet there are certain squads that look miles stronger than others. Must have been some real idiots amongst certain selection panels.

Maybe.

But the crowds suggest not
    The crowds are comparable to Blast games pre 100.

The crowds are comparable to Blast games pre 100.
    That crowd dwarfed anything pre Hundred T20 Blast wise in Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    I did find it quite amusing looking through the squads. Only the 2nd season and there was also another auction this year, yet there are certain squads that look miles stronger than others. Must have been some real idiots amongst certain selection panels.
    It does look like the Welsh Fire squad is a lot weaker than some.

Bairstow just pulling out when he likes doesn't help though.

That crowd dwarfed anything pre Hundred T20 Blast wise in Cardiff.
    Average attendances across all counties in 2017 was 7500. If you include just the major counties, that's a hell of a lot higher, and some of those games are on silly nights at silly times. https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/b...83-000-1119058

Average attendances across all counties in 2017 was 7500. If you include just the major counties, that's a hell of a lot higher, and some of those games are on silly nights at silly times. https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/b...83-000-1119058
    But… add in a comparative or womens games and u find their matches up from a few hundred to c7500/ 8000 a game.

Hundreds as a format then wins hands down

Bit like the end of this... https://youtu.be/in3KKja8iA8

But… add in a comparative or womens games and u find their matches up from a few hundred to c7500/ 8000 a game.

Hundreds as a format then wins hands down
    No, they don't. If you go to a roses game or a London derby, they sold out in the blast. Go to a Cider derby, they'll sell out. The Hundred is manufactured bollocks. The women's game is great, they didn't need the Hundred to do it, and they certainly didn't need to pay counties hush money if it was such a guaranteed success

If you like the 100, fine. I don't but don't pretend it isn't designed to damage the domestic game.

Every Roses t20 game has sold out until they brought in the 100. Look how many empty seats are in his photo of the 100 version:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-b2139307.html

No, they don't. If you go to a roses game or a London derby, they sold out in the blast. Go to a Cider derby, they'll sell out. The Hundred is manufactured bollocks. The women's game is great, they didn't need the Hundred to do it, and they certainly didn't need to pay counties hush money if it was such a guaranteed success

If you like the 100, fine. I don't but don't pretend it isn't designed to damage the domestic game.

Every Roses t20 game has sold out until they brought in the 100. Look how many empty seats are in his photo of the 100 version:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-b2139307.html
    Looks like it’s time for some parts of the game to move on

Looks like it’s time for some parts of the game to move on
    Did you support the European Super League, then? Be very careful what you wish for. The IPL franchises are already buying up South African and UAE franchises, if we accept this, cricket as we know it will be done. Boult has already retired. The Mumbai Indians want to sign players to exclusive 12 month deals.

Thankfully the ECB have come to their senses and appointed Richard Thompson who may be able to wrestle back control after the damage Graves and Harrison have done.