+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: It’s early August, so it must be League Cup embarrassment time again!

It’s early August, so it must be League Cup embarrassment time again!

Red cards mounting up for outfought Cardiff.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: It’s early August, so it must be League Cup embarrassment time again!

Any positives?
    Still, I hope Richard Kompany ups his offer for Isaak Davies.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Missed a trick by not playing the 1st team in the cup, with so many new faces we should’ve done what Malky Mackay did in his first season.
    Great cup run and into the playoffs, just ran out of steam in the playoffs.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

The first half was OK, we looked fairly comfortable, Ralls, Denham, Colwill when he came on looked like potential first team players, Phologene looked ok and Tanner had the odd good touch and one great pass, but other than that all I learned is that if we have injuries the sqaud doesn't have that much qaulity in back up.

It's been great to see us keep the ball better and play a lot more football over the last 3 games but....We still can't defend can we. Keep giving pretty soft goals away.

You can point to individual errors but for me that's often maybe a symptom of wider issues with the system and players not fully understanding what the directions are.

We should have a structure where, whoever is playing, can step into the back 3/4 and knows exactly what the shape is, where they need to be and what's required of them. Surely you're less likely to make mistakes if 100% clear on your job and expectations.

This is not new, it was an issue under McCarthy too but I thought Hudson's influence would have tightened us up. He can't be happy with what he's seeing so far this season.

I'm not sure you can blame a lack of understanding on a system when we have a Central defender making mistakes continually with poor passes, who then resorted to pulling yet another player down in the box.
    Lack of quality definitely

I thought Ralls was wasteful and in a game where you'd want him to lead by example he was a disappointment

Fair summary of another depressing evening.

Like you I only listened to an audio commentary - plus a few live blogs and the goals on SSN - but the match stats you quote are not accurate. The BBC match page was down until the 32nd minute and none of the 'action' in that time was picked up apart from Nelson's early yellow card. According to the Wales Online live blog there were at least 8 more Cardiff shots in that time - so at least 22 on the night (maybe 5 on target?)

How and where did Colwill play? I wasn't sure from the commentary. Getting him back is one of very few positives (Philogene maybe the other) from a night to forget.

Total joke IMO. The club could get a decent family crowd in for the summer holidays, put a strong team out and beat a lower league opposition.

Would help the team gel, build confidence, build enthusiasm for fans, bring on another cup game, potential big pay day.

Instead we have a dreadful attendance, crap result, everyone is annoyed, confidence reduced and out of the cup. What benefit is there to treating the cups with such disdain?

Seriously pisses me off!

Last night wasn't great of course. But to put some perspective on this, every other Championship club lost last night to lower league opposition (the 2 that went through beat Championship opponents).

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Total joke IMO. The club could get a decent family crowd in for the summer holidays, put a strong team out and beat a lower league opposition.

Would help the team gel, build confidence, build enthusiasm for fans, bring on another cup game, potential big pay day.

Instead we have a dreadful attendance, crap result, everyone is annoyed, confidence reduced and out of the cup. What benefit is there to treating the cups with such disdain?

Seriously pisses me off!
    I agree. I can see a justification for the team selection - although I think it was a mistake (especially with such a new squad) to send out an almost totally changed team. But the lack of interest in promoting the game and filling more of the ground is just bizarre.

City had 80% of the game early on doing all the right things ..

Early doors to make an early judgment, lots changes, youngsters, players needing time ..

Nelson needs to be moved on I wonder if he and Whyte were in the shop window ...

P.M.A .

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    Last night wasn't great of course. But to put some perspective on this, every other Championship club lost last night to lower league opposition (the 2 that went through beat Championship opponents).
    So what? The important thing is that last night was a total waste of time. Morison won’t have learned much watching his reserves getting beaten by a League One side, his players won’t have gained any confidence from a wretched performance and result, and the chance of a decent cup run has been squandered yet again.

The attitude to cup competitions these days from clubs like Cardiff is a joke. And, sadly, many fans seem to share the same attitude.

Nothing ventured, absolutely nothing gained.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    Good spot says a lot about the clubs approach to this competition..

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    City had 80% of the game early on doing all the right things .
    Fannying about with the ball in the final third and failing to score against a League One side were not the right things.

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Fair summary of another depressing evening.

Like you I only listened to an audio commentary - plus a few live blogs and the goals on SSN - but the match stats you quote are not accurate. The BBC match page was down until the 32nd minute and none of the 'action' in that time was picked up apart from Nelson's early yellow card. According to the Wales Online live blog there were at least 8 more Cardiff shots in that time - so at least 22 on the night (maybe 5 on target?)

How and where did Colwill play? I wasn't sure from the commentary. Getting him back is one of very few positives (Philogene maybe the other) from a night to forget.

Colwill didn't come on till quite late, he was really trying his best, and was chasing back when we lost the ball, he had a few shots blocked, he was better than the rest in that short spell. He looked to be playing side left but maybe had a bit of a free role as was in and around the box he was our main chance of scoring.

We were quite easy to defend against, they just packed the box, we were afraid to shoot and when we did it was almost always blocked, it was quite frustrating.

Harris tried hard but came up short again, I think Etete might start on Saturday, and Colwill might get a game?

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Fannying about with the ball in the final third and failing to score against a League One side were not the right things.
    By the time we get the ball into their final third, their whole team are in the box ready to defend, in these situations you need quality attacking players to pick them off, thats where I think we will struggle with the new approach.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    By the time we get the ball into their final third, their whole team are in the box ready to defend, in this situations you need quality attcking players to pick them off, thats where I think we will struggle with the new approach.
    Ironically, the most direct and incisive player in attack during the first half was Whyte, and I’ve little doubt he’ll be on his way out before the window closes.

Harris looks a lost cause to me. He works hard but just doesn’t seem to have the ability to hurt the opposition.

Would love to know what's happened with Nelson. Always thought he looked like a good defender but he was poor last year and seems to have completely imploded this year

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Seriously pisses me off!
    Lots of new faces and families in the GS last night but could have been many more. Sadly, many left early. You're right, it has a lasting impression.

Thank the gods it wasn't raining and cold.

These games are an opportunity to get experience into those players that need it.
    We should be starting these matches with most of a first team on the pitch, hopefully gaining a goal or two cushion, then using the opportunity to bring in less experienced players while confidence is high.

Last night was an opportunity completely wasted and now we already have no more league cup games to use for this purpose.

Farcical approach really.