+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big game Saturday

Big game Saturday

Feels like we’ve put a bit of pressure on ourselves here after what was a cracking start against the Canaries.

A third consecutive defeat and the panic will start to set in with West Brom away to come. Morison not the most experienced either.

A win and we can write off last night and focus on two wins from two at home.

A good start this season was always crucial.

Re: Big game Saturday

Here's hoping Birmingham's coaches haven't done their homework on us- guys, if you're reading this, definitely don't man-mark Ryan Wintle or play a low block/counter attack on Saturday.

Yep can see the frustration growing when we are 1 down.

The last few days has undone a lot of positivity.

Feels massive doesn't it.

I know there are some on here who are just dying for all of this to go tits up so they can revel in it. Really weird behaviour.

I'm still optimistic for the season. But forget SM's "we want x number of points after 8 games". Reading and Birmingham were in the bottom three of nearly everyone's predictions. If we can't beat at least one of them, then it's going to be really hard to remain patient going forward.

This has to be a win. And a win with more than one chance created. And bring back that ****ing effort from Norwich.

I see the usual suspects are out in force with their glass half empty attitude already (not in this thread).

Just watched 3 minutes of highlights and the first 3 plays were us passing it about going forward and creating good opportunities to score.

As soon as the first goal is conceded, through yet another defensive error, the panic button gets pressed and players stop doing their jobs.

It is a little early to be stressing but the basic principles need to be got right.
    Sticking the ball in the onion bag and keeping the ball out of the onion bag. Simples no?

Currently we seem unable to do both but given that SM is trying to implement what many have been crying out for, for a decade, that is playing a bit of football with a clear identity, then he should be given a lot more time than three games before writing him off.

Changing the team for cup games in order to have a look at other players happens at every level so losing to Portsmouth should not be viewed as a catastrophe.
    Morison I hope will have learned a lot from his players last nights performance.

The players when selected need to stand up and be counted.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I see the usual suspects are out in force with their glass half empty attitude already (not in this thread).

Just watched 3 minutes of highlights and the first 3 plays were us passing it about going forward and creating good opportunities to score.

As soon as the first goal is conceded, through yet another defensive error, the panic button gets pressed and players stop doing their jobs.

It is a little early to be stressing but the basic principles need to be got right.
    Sticking the ball in the onion bag and keeping the ball out of the onion bag. Simples no?

Currently we seem unable to do both but given that SM is trying to implement what many have been crying out for, for a decade, that is playing a bit of football with a clear identity, then he should be given a lot more time than three games before writing him off.

Changing the team for cup games in order to have a look at other players happens at every level so losing to Portsmouth should not be viewed as a catastrophe.
    Morison I hope will have learned a lot from his players last nights performance.

The players when selected need to stand up and be counted.
    He will have learned a lot. He’ll have learnt he has brought in a load of duds.

Massive game really, Birmingham have started well, they should have beaten Huddersfield by more than they did probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    In my opinion bit early to come to that conclusion after three games of which 7 of the starting line up last night were players that's were already here

Me I am happy to wait and see how this works out

Where was this video? Which website?

I find it incredible that it's always the players fault. Guess what Steve, this is wholly YOUR squad. 15 recruits aided by a bunch of academy prospects that he championed himself.
    No excuses, he done fvcked up royally.
    Too many recruits and not enough quality. Yet somehow not his fault.

This isn't glass half empty by the way, for those of you that always want to criticise even the tiniest hint of negativity.
    It's bare facts. How many times has any club made such sweeping player changes and had any level of success?

He's showing himself to be very arrogant and too clever for his own good. I suspect he'll be gone by Christmas and we'll have an Allardyce and hoofball to look forward to in order to save our season.

If I'm wrong, I'll happily take the tearing apart that you lot give me come Xmas

When does 'my players just didn't perform' become 'he can't motivate his team'?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post

I find it incredible that it's always the players fault. Guess what Steve, this is wholly YOUR squad. 15 recruits aided by a bunch of academy prospects that he championed himself.
    No excuses, he done fvcked up royally.
    Too many recruits and not enough quality. Yet somehow not his fault.

This isn't glass half empty by the way, for those of you that always want to criticise even the tiniest hint of negativity.
    It's bare facts. How many times has any club made such sweeping player changes and had any level of success?

He's showing himself to be very arrogant and too clever for his own good. I suspect he'll be gone by Christmas and we'll have an Allardyce and hoofball to look forward to in order to save our season.

If I'm wrong, I'll happily take the tearing apart that you lot give me come Xmas
    He has publicly said it is his team and he also said that he needs to look at everything including the role of managers and coaches as well as the performance of the team

Not sure where he is abdicating responsibility for all this and as said by someone else in another thread it is early early days

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    When does 'my players just didn't perform' become 'he can't motivate his team'?
    They looked motivated last night. There was no lack of effort. Just a lack of quality.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    They looked motivated last night. There was no lack of effort. Just a lack of quality.
    This.
    Don't matter how many "bodies through the door" you can fit if they don't have the quality.
    We look likely to keep leaking goals and unlikely to score anywhere near enough.

After Norwich I was hoping he might have struck lucky and we might somehow improve quickly.
    Reading and Pompey have shown the polar opposite. They highlighted how fortunate we were to get 3 points against Norwich.

Norwich was a free hit. Not many expected us to get anything and we did which altered the expectations.
    Reading was disappointing following on from the start we made.
    Portsmouth was always a tricky one considering the fact SM had to give a game to everyone else.
    It’s a shame we couldn’t have gone a couple of rounds at least to have certain squad players playing.
    It looks a mess.

These next 3 games in a week could be pivotal if we don’t don’t begin to gel and get a bit of fluency about our game and threaten the oppositions goal more and have viable options off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Portsmouth was always a tricky one considering the fact SM had to give a game to everyone else.
    I don’t agree. I don’t believe Morison was obliged to give game time to anyone. I am of the opinion that he (and every other Championship manager for that matter) should have picked the strongest side he had available to him while allowing for injuries and those who obviously needed resting.

This notion that managers must field weakened sides in cup competitions does my head in. These are professional footballers we’re talking about. They are paid to win football games. The reserves losing to a League One outfit doesn’t benefit anyone in any way.

I don’t agree. I don’t believe Morison was obliged to give game time to anyone. I am of the opinion that he (and every other Championship manager for that matter) should have picked the strongest side he had available to him while allowing for injuries and those who obviously needed resting.

This notion that managers must field weakened sides in cup competitions does my head in. These are professional footballers we’re talking about. They are paid to win football games. The reserves losing to a League One outfit doesn’t benefit anyone in any way.
    I agree , no wonder the crowd last night was poor, that said I had a good evening apart from the second half.

What was the crowd in the end , bearing in mind Pompey brought close to 1,200

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I agree , no wonder the crowd last night was poor, that said I had a good evening apart from the second half.

What was the crowd in the end , bearing in mind Pompey brought close to 1,200
    I had a good evening too and the game was fairly entertaining, even allowing for the fact that City were shocking in the second half.

I don’t think they’ve released the crowd figure. Maybe they’re embarrassed by it. Good turnout from Pompey, but I don’t think it was as high as 1,200. I’d say closer to 800, but that’s just a guess.

Where was this video? Which website?
    https://youtu.be/IUzNsibezyQ

My apologies but I did think it was 3 minutes and 3 chances whereas it looks like two on this.

Not difficult to find really, just Google Cardiff v Portsmouth.

Maybe so.
    Maybe he also learned that one or two go missing when the going gets tough.
    Maybe he learns that one or two players he gave starts to froze and maybe he learned that friendlies are far different to competitive games.
    Maybe he felt encouraged by one or two still giving it 100% even when others let their heads drop.
    Maybe he has learned that Nelson's poor form hasn't gone away and will "rest him" against Brum.

I would prefer to have learnt all these things in a league cup game.

International

I agree and to me in the first half they looked relatively composed and the better team, I thought I could see the difference in the quality and that we would win a comfortable 1 or 2 nil victory, the goal went in and they went to pieces!

Surprisingly naiive response given that you are generally perceived (on here) to know your stuff.

I doubt if managers are taking the view that they are fielding a weakened side, more like giving players valuable experience.

If my (rather poor at times) memory serves me right, haven't you always been on the side of blooding youngsters?
    I'd be interested to hear how you'd go about getting players who you have just brought in up to speed.

I'd done just that, but you said: "Just watched 3 minutes of highlights and the first 3 plays were us passing it about going forward and creating good opportunities to score," whereas the video I'd watched this morning was two minutes long and showed City's two best efforts. The first involved too much messing about on the edge of the area before Harris strayed offside, while the second resulted from a long punt out of defence. That chance eventually fell to Whyte, who I thought was City's best player last night but who I reckon will be on his way out of the club in the next few weeks.

I was keen to see the third attempt you alluded to as I didn't remember anything else of note in the first half. Indeed, our half time discussion in the ground revolved around the fact that most of us thought the game would end 0-0 and go to penalties, but Nelson stepped up and put paid to that idea.

Surprisingly naiive response given that you are generally perceived (on here) to know your stuff.
    Yes, naïve of me to expect professional football clubs to try to win cup matches, as they did for most of the forty-odd years I've followed the sport.

Am I on the side of blooding youngsters? Yes, when the time is right and when they have shown enough to warrant a place in the first team. How would I go about getting players up to speed? Well, this is a revolutionary concept I know, but I'd have a reserve team that plays in a reserves league.

Football has changed in many ways since I started watching in the mid-Seventies and plenty of those changes are undoubtedly for the better, but this bollocks about playing reserves in cup matches is certainly not one of them. I've been opposed to that idea ever since City started doing it.

Morison signed another player yesterday. So when does he get 'blooded'?

International

https://youtu.be/IUzNsibezyQ

My apologies but I did think it was 3 minutes and 3 chances whereas it looks like two on this.

Thanks for that, not great seeing it again!

Tanners long pass to Philogen from our own box was good and almost set up a goal.
    Was it Harris offside for the goal, why basics!
    Nelson terrible first goal gave the ball to them, then did nothing else, Bagan left the striker free to get the pass and score.
    Nelson was getting pulled, pulled him back and over the floor, definite penalty unless it's Morrison for us in which case the ref always say crack on that is allowed against him. Great penalty.
    Third goal great header, behind Bagan who missed it and didn't do enough to put him off.

Very poor defending Nelson and Bagan, who probably did let Morison down!