+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It’s not just us. Championship in Carabao Cup shocker

It’s not just us. Championship in Carabao Cup shocker

So far 14 Championship teams have played in the first round.

Only two have progressed to round 2 and they beat championship opposition so there was bound to be a Championship team going through.

The other 10 Championship teams that have played so far all lost to lower league opposition.

There could be more casualties still to come with more games tonight.

Re: It’s not just us. Championship in Carabao Cup shocker

What a shame that clubs don't seem to pay this competition the respect it deserves 🤷*♂️

It may not be just us, but it’s ALWAYS us.

it really is seen as a tinpot cup, 1st the EPL teams treated like they didnt want to know, then it filtered down to the Championship teams

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    It may not be just us, but it’s ALWAYS us.
    Exactly!

There's been talk for years about the League Cup being done away with hasn't there- the powers that be must be rubbing their hands together at the level of apathy towards it currently.

Football League cup - it should be just that. Remove the Premier League teams and it might get more exciting

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Football League cup - it should be just that. Remove the Premier League teams and it might get more exciting
    This is what I think should happen too. I guess it's difficult to sell overseas without those few biggest clubs

Let's be honest, even 20 years ago it didn't get folk enthused until they reached the quarter finals - usually by default. Poor crowds getting poorer, and cluttering up a busy schedule and possibility of injuries - I doubt managers or directors are too bothered at an early exit.

I feel we have a similar post every year with the amount of championship clubs out. Doesn’t make it any less disappointing but it is what it is, certainly doesn’t define our season.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Remove the Premier League teams and the interest in it would disappear altogether. It would become another Auto Windscreens Sherpa Van Leyland Daf Trophy.

League Cup winners the last few years, the top teams seem to take it seriously enough, why can't we?

2022 Liverpool FC
    2021 Manchester City
    2020 Manchester City
    2019 Manchester City
    2018 Manchester City
    2017 Manchester United
    2016 Manchester City
    2015 Chelsea FC
    2014 Manchester City

Is it still a route to European football? Can't underestimate how much of a carrot that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown Unicorn! View Post
    League Cup winners the last few years, the top teams seem to take it seriously enough, why can't we?

2022 Liverpool FC
    2021 Manchester City
    2020 Manchester City
    2019 Manchester City
    2018 Manchester City
    2017 Manchester United
    2016 Manchester City
    2015 Chelsea FC
    2014 Manchester City

Is it still a route to European football? Can't underestimate how much of a carrot that is.
    The thing is their third teams are probably good enough to win it, our second team obviously isn’t

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    The thing is their third teams are probably good enough to win it, our second team obviously isn’t
    Interesting you should say that. Manchester City's first game in the competition last season was against League Two side Wycombe. They were due to face Chelsea away in the Premier League a few days later. Nevertheless, Guardiola's starting line-up for the EFL Cup game included De Bruyne, Foden, Stirling and Mahrez.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown Unicorn! View Post

2022 Liverpool FC
    2021 Manchester City
    2020 Manchester City
    2019 Manchester City
    2018 Manchester City
    2017 Manchester United
    2016 Manchester City
    2015 Chelsea FC
    2014 Manchester City

Can't think why you didn't extend the list just 1 more year 🙂
    Yes there is a route to European football but most,if not all, of those teams qualified for the Champions league anyway. Dont Man City and Liverpool tend to play 2nd choice teams up to the quarters these days? and didn't Liverpool have a league game and a Cup game on consecutive days a year or 2 ago, with 2 separate squads and managers?

Middlesbrough 0 - 1 Barnsley
    Sheff Weds 2 - 0 Sunderland

Two more Championship sides knocked out by lower league sides.

That's 12 in total losing to sides below them.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Middlesbrough 0 - 1 Barnsley
    Sheff Weds 2 - 0 Sunderland

Two more Championship sides knocked out by lower league sides.

That's 12 in total losing to sides below them.
    Two league 1 sides who would have been well up for it as well!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Interesting you should say that. Manchester City's first game in the competition last season was against League Two side Wycombe. They were due to face Chelsea away in the Premier League a few days later. Nevertheless, Guardiola's starting line-up for the EFL Cup game included De Bruyne, Foden, Stirling and Mahrez.
    Fair play. That's impressive.

I'm impressed that De Bruyne, Foden, Stirling and Mahrez got the rocket they deserved from such a demotion and got themselves into the first team.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Fair play. That's impressive.
    It was. De Bruyne, Mahrez and Foden all scored in a 6-1 victory, and they beat Chelsea 1-0 four days later.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'm impressed that De Bruyne, Foden, Stirling and Mahrez got the rocket they deserved from such a demotion and got themselves into the first team.
    Gotta blood these players somewhere.

It was. De Bruyne, Mahrez and Foden all scored in a 6-1 victory, and they beat Chelsea 1-0 four days later.
    I'm amazed they weren't all burned out after a League Cup tie.

I see Pompey have drawn Newport in the next round. That could have been interesting. Never mind, though. It’s only a cup competition. Who needs a cup run when you finish 15th in the Championship?

I see Pompey have drawn Newport in the next round. That could have been interesting. Never mind, though. It’s only a cup competition. Who needs a cup run when you finish 15th in the Championship?
    I'll probably go to that. It'll be a better match than ours was on Tuesday and I've always enjoyed Newport's Cup matches. They'll get a decent crowd for that one too.

Edit: assuming its at Rodney Parade, I haven't checked!

woah woah, let's not get ahead of ourselves here