+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to Move

Time to Move

The family stand to the Canton End. Regardless of how poor the home attendance was at Reading having the vocal home fans next to the away section works. We’ll have the same at The Hawthorns this coming Tuesday. A boisterous away following really gees up the home crowd when they’re in close proximity and certainly adds to the atmosphere.

Our lot may learn some new songs as well being cheek by jowl.

Re: Time to Move

Agreed. Would be a better match day experience for those that enjoy that sort of stuff and wouldn’t have a negative impact on those who don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Agreed. Would be a better match day experience for those that enjoy that sort of stuff and wouldn’t have a negative impact on those who don’t.
    Never been in the Family Stand but my son took my granddaughter down last night. Been with him today and there was no bother whatsoever but I’d prefer them to be a length of a pitch away from some away followings.

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The family stand to the Canton End. Regardless of how poor the home attendance was at Reading having the vocal home fans next to the away section works. We’ll have the same at The Hawthorns this coming Tuesday. A boisterous away following really gees up the home crowd when they’re in close proximity and certainly adds to the atmosphere.

They've said Wayne Nash won't ever do it, why don't fans move from the Canton to the Ninian away end?

I agree though the atmosphere would be so much better is they just swopped ends!

And it means that you can wear long trousers now.

Been a topic every year on this board

Will never happen

Yes, it's more difficult to give certain hand gestures to the away fans from the other end of the ground.

When away fans shared the Grange End we had bellends who were only really interested in goading the away fans.

From another angle, I usually take my boy into the family stand, having spent one season in the Ninian, near the corner by the Canton end. It's great to have a family section in the concourse that is quieter than the rest of the ground. It would be difficult to create that at the Canton end. After the game we're able to walk through the away fans to get to Sloper Rd and all is trouble free.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Been a topic every year on this board

Will never happen
    Sadly very true not if Nash is still in charge. The days of the agro have gone no?

you wont hear them on tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yes, it's more difficult to give certain hand gestures to the away fans from the other end of the ground.

When away fans shared the Grange End we had bellends who were only really interested in goading the away fans.

From another angle, I usually take my boy into the family stand, having spent one season in the Ninian, near the corner by the Canton end. It's great to have a family section in the concourse that is quieter than the rest of the ground. It would be difficult to create that at the Canton end. After the game we're able to walk through the away fans to get to Sloper Rd and all is trouble free.
    The family stand is usually half full whereas the Canton is usually sold out hence the busier concourse. I don’t see why the concourse would be any busier underneath the family stand is the ends were switched.

loads of times i've come out of there and chatted to the away fans, and they've said to me how quiet they thought we were.

but i've been stood in The Canton Stand for the whole game and its barely been a quiet moment......

The family stand is usually half full whereas the Canton is usually sold out hence the busier concourse. I don’t see why the concourse would be any busier underneath the family stand is the ends were switched.
    I think you'd have to annex the Canton concourse from the Ninian concourse to retain that quietness under the stand though wouldn't you, as most of the stadium's footfall is to the Ninian.

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    you wont hear them on tuesday
    They rehearse on Tuesday

Just swap the booze and cocaine for MDMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin'sReversibleHat View Post
    I think you'd have to annex the Canton concourse from the Ninian concourse to retain that quietness under the stand though wouldn't you, as most of the stadium's footfall is to the Ninian.
    Do people move that far from their designated entrances/stairwells? I personally don't but maybe others do.
    Without the pre match band (which would presumably be moved) I don't see why anyone in the Ninian would wander over to the new Family concourse. There's more bars, food outlets, toilets and space under the Ninian.

Putting a load of p*ssed, coked, Cardiff fans closer to a load of p*ssed, coked, away fans. What could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Putting a load of p*ssed, coked, Cardiff fans closer to a load of p*ssed, coked, away fans. What could possibly go wrong?
    What goes wrong at the grounds that currently have away end and singing ends next to eachother?

Do people move that far from their designated entrances/stairwells? I personally don't but maybe others do.
    Without the pre match band (which would presumably be moved) I don't see why anyone in the Ninian would wander over to the new Family concourse. There's more bars, food outlets, toilets and space under the Ninian.
    I agree with you to a point, however if the Family Stand (in the Canton) were to be as deserted as it is in its current location, you can bet more people would migrate over there for shorter queues for bar/food etc. That being said, I'd imagine the club would be quick enough to shut a few outlets if the footfall was reduced.

What goes wrong at the grounds that currently have away end and singing ends next to eachother?
    I don't know. But to me that's irrelevant as we're talking about CCS. Why is it so difficult for us as a club to recognise that we have a sh*t history and we've spent years trying to undo that? We want more supporters around the ground. Cardiff trashed Bristol City toilets recently. We still belt out the pedo song. It'll cost the club more in policing and security. It too high risk. And for what? So p*ssed up coked up supporters can make a few more w*anker signs and still sing the crap chants and songs.

I guarantee it wouldn't take long before there was big trouble at our home matches again. There's nothing to suggest that a hardcore of fans have 'moved on'.

I do wonder what 'atmosphere' means to some people. I just want to see some good football, feel safe, make sure Mrs Citizen is safe and anyone around me. I don't think moving our fans closer to the away fans would improve those things.

If they like jail let them get on with it, maybe a few less idiots doing the same thing but probably getting away with it in town on the weekends? I don’t think we have the same level of nutter as 25 yrs ago, they went to jail as par for the course, the current crop won’t last a minute at her majesty’s pleasure. Reckon there would be banter, the odd idiot grappling with a steward like you might see out west, but that’s it.

I don't know. But to me that's irrelevant as we're talking about CCS. Why is it so difficult for us as a club to recognise that we have a sh*t history and we've spent years trying to undo that? We want more supporters around the ground. Cardiff trashed Bristol City toilets recently. We still belt out the pedo song. It'll cost the club more in policing and security. It too high risk. And for what? So p*ssed up coked up supporters can make a few more w*anker signs and still sing the crap chants and songs.

I guarantee it wouldn't take long before there was big trouble at our home matches again. There's nothing to suggest that a hardcore of fans have 'moved on'.

I do wonder what 'atmosphere' means to some people. I just want to see some good football, feel safe, make sure Mrs Citizen is safe and anyone around me. I don't think moving our fans closer to the away fans would improve those things.
    Nothing to suggest the hardcore haven’t moved on? that’s funny. In the midst of the mad old days we’d have 200 fans banned every year….I’d hazard a guess it’s down to handful these days.

The Canton end is bigger for a start, so if they swapped that would lead to less City fans being able to attend at a reasonable price. Also, on occasion, away teams bring extra support and people in the family stand have to be relocated. I cant imagine that going down well. Finally the ground was designed with a view to safety and segregation of fans. I don't understand why anyone would want to return to the days when foul and abusive language and various types of missile were regularly thrown back and forth between opposing fans who were next to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Nothing to suggest the hardcore haven’t moved on? that’s funny. In the midst of the mad old days we’d have 200 fans banned every year….I’d hazard a guess it’s down to handful these days.
    And the reason ? Its mainly down to ground safety and segregation measures, as well as better stewarding. Opposing fans should never meet at a football match.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I don't really understand what's funny. Isn't it a good thing that it's down to a handful? Isn't there a real risk that those numbers would start to increase? Why take the risk?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    The Canton end is bigger for a start, so if they swapped that would lead to less City fans being able to attend at a reasonable price. Also, on occasion, away teams bring extra support and people in the family stand have to be relocated. I cant imagine that going down well. Finally the ground was designed with a view to safety and segregation of fans. I don't understand why anyone would want to return to the days when foul and abusive language and various types of missile were regularly thrown back and forth between opposing fans who were next to each other.
    But other clubs have shown that a safe stadium is still possible with opposing fans next to each other. Unless you think Cardiff City would be the exception?

Back when our hooligan element was at its worst we were getting ~4k at games. Now we get 20k. Our club has (thankfully) become much more accessible to families and younger fans and our hooligan element is all but gone. Not only that, the idiots that used to enjoy getting into fights and running riot with the police are in their 50’s and 60’s now. I’d imagine they’re all bark and no bite these days.

I would argue any trouble from our fans is more likely to happen at away games than home games as that’s the more hardcore support and they’re more drunk and drugged up. How many away games in the past decade have had trouble? Bristol last year, Man City in 2014 and a bit further back, Chelsea in 2010. That’s all I can recall at the moment, perhaps there’s others.

These days fans drink in the same pubs and walk down the same streets after games and mingle. I don’t expect simply switching the ends would change that.