+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to Move

Re: Time to Move

.....and the swapping cocaine for MDMA idea? Too controversial? Too edgy? Just say no. Ask Frank. Hug-a-Jack.

CCS is perfectly capable of hosting a cracking atmosphere just as it is. It’s down to the fans and dare I say it, the players to make it happen. If you can’t enjoy the day without goading the opposition across a fence I feel sorry for you. As for winding up the home crowd in an away game, isn’t it better if they are silent?
    Last edited by Dave Blue; 11-08-22 at 15:20. Reason: More to say

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    And the reason ? Its mainly down to ground safety and segregation measures, as well as better stewarding. Opposing fans should never meet at a football match.
    I’d say it’s more to do with tough sentences handed out….

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The family stand to the Canton End. Regardless of how poor the home attendance was at Reading having the vocal home fans next to the away section works. We’ll have the same at The Hawthorns this coming Tuesday. A boisterous away following really gees up the home crowd when they’re in close proximity and certainly adds to the atmosphere.

Our lot may learn some new songs as well being cheek by jowl.
    When you posted this last week Mr P I was hot, cranky, suffering and was pretty flippant. My replies weren't meant to be personal, but generic, but on reflection, I didn't give you or this post the respect I feel it deserves.

I still feel it would be a bad idea but that's because I worry about the underbelly of our society being in a precarious situation for all kinds of reasons and can see what should normally be a fun day out spilling over into verbal or physical violence.

That said, I don't for one minute think you've made the suggestion for anything other than your enthusiasm for the club and a cracking atmosphere. We have a good sense of humour on here and though we've never met personally, I'd always welcome that as you're a proper football guy and I know I'd enjoy our conversations.

So, I'm sure you and others get where I'm coming from when I voice my concerns about things spilling over. Placing opposing fans closer together, in my view, would be a bad thing at CCS. I could be totally wrong, and I don't doubt that other clubs feel it's a good idea but we've yet to see just how that turns out. I'd be more cautious.

Ultimately, we all want what's best for the club and just because we may disagree doesn't mean that I think everyone who supports this idea is a hooligan!

Younger fans living their entire lives online and at the football are my bigger worry. This is the article I refer to and the kind of toxic elements I feel could spill over at matches. There are some seriously toxic male groups out there and I don't for one minute think you and most people on here belong to them but we have to be careful imo. We've seen it spilling over on here over the last few months and some of the extremism that can be deeply unpleasant.

Alpha males’ are on the rise

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    When you posted this last week Mr P I was hot, cranky, suffering and was pretty flippant. My replies weren't meant to be personal, but generic, but on reflection, I didn't give you or this post the respect I feel it deserves.

I still feel it would be a bad idea but that's because I worry about the underbelly of our society being in a precarious situation for all kinds of reasons and can see what should normally be a fun day out spilling over into verbal or physical violence.

That said, I don't for one minute think you've made the suggestion for anything other than your enthusiasm for the club and a cracking atmosphere. We have a good sense of humour on here and though we've never met personally, I'd always welcome that as you're a proper football guy and I know I'd enjoy our conversations.

So, I'm sure you and others get where I'm coming from when I voice my concerns about things spilling over. Placing opposing fans closer together, in my view, would be a bad thing at CCS. I could be totally wrong, and I don't doubt that other clubs feel it's a good idea but we've yet to see just how that turns out. I'd be more cautious.

Ultimately, we all want what's best for the club and just because we may disagree doesn't mean that I think everyone who supports this idea is a hooligan!

Younger fans living their entire lives online and at the football are my bigger worry. This is the article I refer to and the kind of toxic elements I feel could spill over at matches. There are some seriously toxic male groups out there and I don't for one minute think you and most people on here belong to them but we have to be careful imo. We've seen it spilling over on here over the last few months and some of the extremism that can be deeply unpleasant.

Alpha males’ are on the rise
    Gerrin to ‘em
    F*ck ‘em up

Gerrin to ‘em
    F*ck ‘em up
    Fair enough!

Ninian stand alongside away is home for me ..

The issue isn't the location of the Canton, it's that the Ninian makes very little noise in comparison so the sound doesn't go around the ground

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The issue isn't the location of the Canton, it's that the Ninian makes very little noise in comparison so the sound doesn't go around the ground
    No noise at all tbh- was completely silent last year, bar 99% of the block I was sat in endlessly moaning and whinging of course.

.....and the swapping cocaine for MDMA idea? Too controversial? Too edgy? Just say no. Ask Frank. Hug-a-Jack.
    I'm all for it

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    I'm all for it
    🤙😜

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Yeah if fans want to be near the away fans and sing why don’t they just buy tickets that end of the Ninian? Or did they and the club stopped them or something bizarre? I can’t recall. Maybe they should just encourage that and the atmosphere and noise would be far louder akin to Wales games when more than one stand joins in and it sounds top

Out of curiosity, who feels that away fans coming to Cardiff should be intimidated or should they be able to enjoy a game without idiots goading them?

The majority of Andrew Tate's fans, the Tate-r Tots, are perennially online virgins and incels who would literally shit themselves at the first sign of anything kicking off.

Tate's a pick-up artist, groomer and nonce. It's why they like the stupid c***.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    But other clubs have shown that a safe stadium is still possible with opposing fans next to each other. Unless you think Cardiff City would be the exception?

Back when our hooligan element was at its worst we were getting ~4k at games. Now we get 20k. Our club has (thankfully) become much more accessible to families and younger fans and our hooligan element is all but gone. Not only that, the idiots that used to enjoy getting into fights and running riot with the police are in their 50’s and 60’s now. I’d imagine they’re all bark and no bite these days.

I would argue any trouble from our fans is more likely to happen at away games than home games as that’s the more hardcore support and they’re more drunk and drugged up. How many away games in the past decade have had trouble? Bristol last year, Man City in 2014 and a bit further back, Chelsea in 2010. That’s all I can recall at the moment, perhaps there’s others.

These days fans drink in the same pubs and walk down the same streets after games and mingle. I don’t expect simply switching the ends would change that.
    We do have opposing fans next to the away fans.

Ive been in the Family and Ninian and the atmosphere was better in the Family Stand.

The Canton Stand do sing. The Ninian Stand atmosphere is poor.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Yeah if fans want to be near the away fans and sing why don’t they just buy tickets that end of the Ninian? Or did they and the club stopped them or something bizarre? I can’t recall. Maybe they should just encourage that and the atmosphere and noise would be far louder akin to Wales games when more than one stand joins in and it sounds top
    More expensive and the Canton is the designated standing area. Has been for years. I know in the past the club have asked stewards to stop people from standing in the Ninian.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Out of curiosity, who feels that away fans coming to Cardiff should be intimidated or should they be able to enjoy a game without idiots goading them?
    You obviously are dead against it and were quite insulting earlier in the thread. I’ve been away plenty of times and our section has been next to the vocal home fans, I’ve not been intimidated once. The idiots goading each other are usually about twenty strong and site themselves as near to each other as possible, it certainly doesn’t affect the vast majority on both sides who are intent on watching the game. You sound like one of those people who never go and ask you in the pub after ‘Any trouble down there?’.

A bit of edge adds to the atmosphere and everyone mixes outside the ground without a pick of bother. Perhaps it’s you who can’t help himself and, when near the opposing fans, has to watch them rather than the match.

I’m just all for improving the atmosphere at our ground, it gets quite embarrassing on times when our support is completely drowned out by the away fans (it does seem that the acoustics are better at the Grange End) if we go behind in a game. Whereas that is the precise time the team needs the backing and, in my opinion, home fans near the away fans, rather than go into their shell when their team is losing up their game to match the the away support. It certainly happened at a Reading the other Saturday and has happened a few times at the Hawthorns.

Unfortunately you still seem to be stuck in the ‘hooligan, let’s get over the fence era’. Thankfully fans mix freely outside grounds now, get buses together, nobody is still charging up and down Sloper Rd. What goes on in the ground, stays in the ground.

You obviously are dead against it and were quite insulting earlier in the thread. I’ve been away plenty of times and our section has been next to the vocal home fans, I’ve not been intimidated once. The idiots goading each other are usually about twenty strong and site themselves as near to each other as possible, it certainly doesn’t affect the vast majority on both sides who are intent on watching the game. You sound like one of those people who never go and ask you in the pub after ‘Any trouble down there?’.

A bit of edge adds to the atmosphere and everyone mixes outside the ground without a pick of bother. Perhaps it’s you who can’t help himself and, when near the opposing fans, has to watch them rather than the match.

I’m just all for improving the atmosphere at our ground, it gets quite embarrassing on times when our support is completely drowned out by the away fans (it does seem that the acoustics are better at the Grange End) if we go behind in a game. Whereas that is the precise time the team needs the backing and, in my opinion, home fans near the away fans, rather than go into their shell when their team is losing up their game to match the the away support. It certainly happened at a Reading the other Saturday and has happened a few times at the Hawthorns.

Unfortunately you still seem to be stuck in the ‘hooligan, let’s get over the fence era’. Thankfully fans mix freely outside grounds now, get buses together, nobody is still charging up and down Sloper Rd. What goes on in the ground, stays in the ground.
    I believe the issue on atmosphere is the Ninian Stand. Its really poor. Surely some groups in there want to sing.?

However for arguments sake they looked at switching the Canton always seems to be full. Who decides who moves across into a smaller area. Less fans in less face it the only vocal area.

Or do we move the away fans into part of the Ninian?

Also think your wrong on potential issues. Games v Swansea the wurzels Millwall there
    is definitely potential for trouble.

Has there ever been any trouble at the ccs? Or outside more likely? Anywhere in the city in the last 15/20 years football related? There will always be a group of young idiots at every ground but like SP says, who cares? You going to get angry and jump over the seats and through the stewards to get them? Of course not….those days have gone, long gone.

The Ninian stand is the problem

Wales games show the layout of the stadium is fine, you just need more than one stand making noise

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Has there ever been any trouble at the ccs? Or outside more likely? Anywhere in the city in the last 15/20 years football related? There will always be a group of young idiots at every ground but like SP says, who cares? You going to get angry and jump over the seats and through the stewards to get them? Of course not….those days have gone, long gone.
    Not wishing to stoke this up but yes, there has. When we were in the PL there were a few incidents (against Man United I think) in the ground and there's been scuffles with stewards at the away end.

I walk to matches from Grangetown and during the PL season's big matches Mrs Citizen was targeted with sexual, verbal abuse and no longer wears Cardiff colours. We've seen scuffles outside on Sloper road and there's been more of them. I've seen young Cardiff fans throwing coins at away fans coming out of CCS.

I've seen police drag middle-aged men off each other on Sloper road after matches. It's slowly started to get worse over the last decade imo. There's something wrong when a decade ago we both felt comfortable walking home but feel less so now. That feeling of vulnerability (especially being disabled) is amplified when you see violence or are on the end of verbal abuse.

To put some perspective on this, we'll walk to matches there and back around 30+ times over a season so we get to see and hear quite a bit. I'm not saying it's a massive problem, but I am concerned enough to feel a bit nervous these days when I didn't a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    But other clubs have shown that a safe stadium is still possible with opposing fans next to each other. Unless you think Cardiff City would be the exception?

Back when our hooligan element was at its worst we were getting ~4k at games. Now we get 20k. Our club has (thankfully) become much more accessible to families and younger fans and our hooligan element is all but gone. Not only that, the idiots that used to enjoy getting into fights and running riot with the police are in their 50’s and 60’s now. I’d imagine they’re all bark and no bite these days.

I would argue any trouble from our fans is more likely to happen at away games than home games as that’s the more hardcore support and they’re more drunk and drugged up. How many away games in the past decade have had trouble? Bristol last year, Man City in 2014 and a bit further back, Chelsea in 2010. That’s all I can recall at the moment, perhaps there’s others.

These days fans drink in the same pubs and walk down the same streets after games and mingle. I don’t expect simply switching the ends would change that.
    The reason that there is a lot less trouble at home games nowadays is almost entirely down to the layout and management of the new stadium, which was purpose built to provide a safe/secure and easily ‘policed’ environment for fans. Putting opposing fans right next to each other would drive a horse and cart through the whole system. There is evidence of bad behaviour by some City fans but especially other teams fans, in recent years as well, usually fuelled by alcohol. What about when someone scores at the Grange end and celebrates in front of their own fans - right next to the opposition fans !! Why anyone would want to change a system that works and encourage fan confrontation, is beyond me. Perhaps the people now complaining the loudest are part of the original problem and miss ‘the good old days’ ?

The reason that there is a lot less trouble at home games nowadays is almost entirely down to the layout and management of the new stadium, which was purpose built to provide a safe/secure and easily ‘policed’ environment for fans. Putting opposing fans right next to each other would drive a horse and cart through the whole system. There is evidence of bad behaviour by some City fans but especially other teams fans, in recent years as well, usually fuelled by alcohol. What about when someone scores at the Grange end and celebrates in front of their own fans - right next to the opposition fans !! Why anyone would want to change a system that works and encourage fan confrontation, is beyond me. Perhaps the people now complaining the loudest are part of the original problem and miss ‘the good old days’ ?
    Except lots of stadiums, modern and old, manage just fine with away fans next to the vocal home supporters. Unless you think Cardiff would be the one exception and we’d revert back to the days of 80’s style hooliganism?
    Which was before I was born I’ll add, so your last point is incorrect in my case.

I’m in the Grandstand and your ‘miss the good old days’ is a ridiculous quote. Someone has mentioned that Swansea & Millwall fans have caused a bit of trouble at the away end, so I’ll put another spin on it, is it wise to have our family stand so close to potential trouble? Or should we have our kids & families as far away as possible?

Anyway I only started this thread because I was impressed by the way Reading have sorted their atmosphere out with no trouble whatsoever. Fans of both sides post match chatting and catching the football buses back into town with no bother at all. Some of our fans seem to love harking back to, as you say ‘the good old days’, they may have been good old days to you dml1954 but they certainly weren’t to the majority of us.

I’ll tell you what wasn’t a good old day, ‘Play Up Pompey’ ringing around our ground last Tuesday.

Can’t say I particularly enjoy sitting next to them with my two boys (8 and 10)…luckily they couldn’t understand a word the northerners, brummies or cockneys were saying…..