+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time to Move

Re: Time to Move

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’m in the Grandstand and your ‘miss the good old days’ is a ridiculous quote. Someone has mentioned that Swansea & Millwall fans have caused a bit of trouble at the away end, so I’ll put another spin on it, is it wise to have our family stand so close to potential trouble? Or should we have our kids & families as far away as possible?

Anyway I only started this thread because I was impressed by the way Reading have sorted their atmosphere out with no trouble whatsoever. Fans of both sides post match chatting and catching the football buses back into town with no bother at all. Some of our fans seem to love harking back to, as you say ‘the good old days’, they may have been good old days to you dml1954 but they certainly weren’t to the majority of us.

I’ll tell you what wasn’t a good old day, ‘Play Up Pompey’ ringing around our ground last Tuesday.
    I think this is the strongest argument tbh Mr P. I've often thought exactly that. So, ironically, there is a H&S element to it and I think that's worthy of discussion in its own right.

Maybe my own vulnerability is contributing to my caution.

We went to Birmingham away last season and had a great time. Met some lovely Brum fans and shared a cab to the ground. Apart from the overwhelming police presence and some issues getting out it was a really good day.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    The reason that there is a lot less trouble at home games nowadays is almost entirely down to the layout and management of the new stadium, which was purpose built to provide a safe/secure and easily ‘policed’ environment for fans. Putting opposing fans right next to each other would drive a horse and cart through the whole system. There is evidence of bad behaviour by some City fans but especially other teams fans, in recent years as well, usually fuelled by alcohol. What about when someone scores at the Grange end and celebrates in front of their own fans - right next to the opposition fans !! Why anyone would want to change a system that works and encourage fan confrontation, is beyond me. Perhaps the people now complaining the loudest are part of the original problem and miss ‘the good old days’ ?
    And just by co incidence not outside or anywhere in the city on match day either? That’s down to the stadium layout? That’s remarkable

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Except lots of stadiums, modern and old, manage just fine with away fans next to the vocal home supporters. Unless you think Cardiff would be the one exception and we’d revert back to the days of 80’s style hooliganism?
    Which was before I was born I’ll add, so your last point is incorrect in my case.
    I wasn't aiming it at you to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    And just by co incidence not outside or anywhere in the city on match day either? That’s down to the stadium layout? That’s remarkable
    I don’t know if you are being deliberately obtuse but Its down to the way that the stadium is policed and stewarded and the fact that rival fans are generally kept well apart. Its not rocket science really is it. The incidence of bad behaviour at our home games reduced considerably when we moved to the new stadium.

I don’t know if you are being deliberately obtuse but Its down to the way that the stadium is policed and stewarded and the fact that rival fans are generally kept well apart. Its not rocket science really is it. The incidence of bad behaviour at our home games reduced considerably when we moved to the new stadium.
    Or society has moved on from those days? Cardiff City included. What about all the teams that haven’t moved stadiums in the last ~30 years?
    Why don’t we have hooligan issues when we travel to these old stadiums without the modern stadium safety features?

Our crowds are 5 to 6 times bigger than back in the hooligan days and the football has become a family day out for many. What percentage of the crowds were women and children back in the 80’s compared to now?

I’m in the Grandstand and your ‘miss the good old days’ is a ridiculous quote. Someone has mentioned that Swansea & Millwall fans have caused a bit of trouble at the away end, so I’ll put another spin on it, is it wise to have our family stand so close to potential trouble? Or should we have our kids & families as far away as possible?

Anyway I only started this thread because I was impressed by the way Reading have sorted their atmosphere out with no trouble whatsoever. Fans of both sides post match chatting and catching the football buses back into town with no bother at all. Some of our fans seem to love harking back to, as you say ‘the good old days’, they may have been good old days to you dml1954 but they certainly weren’t to the majority of us.

I’ll tell you what wasn’t a good old day, ‘Play Up Pompey’ ringing around our ground last Tuesday.
    The fact that the words ‘good old days’ in my previous post were in inverted commas should have given you a clue to the fact that I didn't enjoy them either. You seem to be pining after them though to me. I attended games at Ninian Park in the 70’s and 80’s where I was literally afraid for my life (Leeds fans infiltrating the main grandstand in disguise right behind me to attack City fans in the enclosure, Millwall fans taking over the ground after a game, wrecking it and trying to get into the dressing rooms, Swansea fans in the grandstand ripping out seats and throwing them into the Cardiff fans in the grange end and enclosure etc etc etc). Anyone wanting to go back to those sorts of thing happening (which putting fans right next to each other would encourage) is frankly mad.

So tell me when you have seen rival fans fighting each other inside Ninian Park? It was lively sometimes I know in the Sam hammam era with away fans surrounded so to speak but it rarely got out of control (Leeds fa cup for ie but no fighting) It’s a bit of a myth really, plenty of trouble away caused by our fans but not here, not for a long time. I get the club might want to reduce the likelihood of it happening but apart from the odd idiot ( which will always be in society) I don’t think there would be any trouble at the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I think this is the strongest argument tbh Mr P. I've often thought exactly that. So, ironically, there is a H&S element to it and I think that's worthy of discussion in its own right.

Maybe my own vulnerability is contributing to my caution.

We went to Birmingham away last season and had a great time. Met some lovely Brum fans and shared a cab to the ground. Apart from the overwhelming police presence and some issues getting out it was a really good day.
    I think that you are missing the point as well. Having the family stand next to the away fans area actually helps control the whole system. There is no intimidatory behaviour being aimed at away fans and no missiles being thrown either. No one but the sickest away fan would therefore start reciprocation in the opposite direction and it rarely, if ever, appears to happen. This considerably reduces the intimidatory atmosphere within the stadium and reduces the risk of any violence or other problems occurring.

The fact that the words ‘good old days’ in my previous post were in inverted commas should have given you a clue to the fact that I didn't enjoy them either. You seem to be pining after them though to me. I attended games at Ninian Park in the 70’s and 80’s where I was literally afraid for my life (Leeds fans infiltrating the main grandstand in disguise right behind me to attack City fans in the enclosure, Millwall fans taking over the ground after a game, wrecking it and trying to get into the dressing rooms, Swansea fans in the grandstand ripping out seats and throwing them into the Cardiff fans in the grange end and enclosure etc etc etc). Anyone wanting to go back to those sorts of thing happening (which putting fans right next to each other would encourage) is frankly mad.
    Millwall? In 2000 was it? There was no one in the ground, I know because me and a few others were the last to leave on the Bob bank that day. The idiots got their arses handed back to them on a plate under the grandstand I believe, that’s the only time I’ve heard of actual fighting in the ground this century……

So tell me when you have seen rival fans fighting each other inside Ninian Park? It was lively sometimes I know in the Sam hammam era with away fans surrounded so to speak but it rarely got out of control (Leeds fa cup for ie but no fighting) It’s a bit of a myth really, plenty of trouble away caused by our fans but not here, not for a long time. I get the club might want to reduce the likelihood of it happening but apart from the odd idiot ( which will always be in society) I don’t think there would be any trouble at the ground.
    Your comments in this post beggar belief. Did you ever go to a game at Ninian Park ? I refer you to my reply to SP above which contains three occasions when I was in fear of my safety and there were many other occasions both inside and outside the ground, all caused by fans being allowed in close proximity to each other.

Do you even go to games? You’re talking through your arse, rival fans generally kept apart???? Rival fans are actively encouraged to park at Gôl or Canton Rugby Club, there were plenty of Brum fans walking alongside City fans up Leckwith Rd, even having the audacity to take a short cut through Lidl’s car park. Fans are certainly not kept apart and everything seems to go smoothly. You seem obsessed by this ‘good old days’ thing. Try nipping down to a match and see for yourself, this ‘trouble’ which you seem to have a fixation with is a figment of your imagination.

Millwall? In 2000 was it? There was no one in the ground, I know because me and a few others were the last to leave on the Bob bank that day. The idiots got their arses handed back to them on a plate under the grandstand I believe, that’s the only time I’ve heard of actual fighting in the ground this century……
    Wrong - i and a number of other City fans were stuck in the ground at the back of the bob bank, with the Millwall fans rampaging around and trying to get at us. Both exits had been closed as they were blocked by Millwall fans fighting outside with City fans and there was nowhere to go. We were ‘protected’ by a handful of stewards. Luckily the police managed to regain control before they got across the pitch into the terracing. You are trying to defend the indefensible. As I said before, the new stadium has largely solved all these problems which is why I am totally against the relaxing of crowd segregation.

Do you even go to games? You’re talking through your arse, rival fans generally kept apart???? Rival fans are actively encouraged to park at Gôl or Canton Rugby Club, there were plenty of Brum fans walking alongside City fans up Leckwith Rd, even having the audacity to take a short cut through Lidl’s car park. Fans are certainly not kept apart and everything seems to go smoothly. You seem obsessed by this ‘good old days’ thing. Try nipping down to a match and see for yourself, this ‘trouble’ which you seem to have a fixation with is a figment of your imagination.
    I have been to nearly every home game and a number of away games, every season for the last 58 years, so it is you that is ‘talking out of your arse’. There is no trouble at our home games since we moved to the new stadium (I never said there was) but you appear unable to work out why, even though the answer is right under your nose, and continue to advocate putting opposing fans as close as possible together and bugger the consequences.

I have been to nearly every home game and a number of away games, every season for the last 58 years, so it is you that is ‘talking out of your arse’. There is no trouble at our home games since we moved to the new stadium (I never said there was) but you appear unable to work out why, even though the answer is right under your nose, and continue to advocate putting opposing fans as close as possible together and bugger the consequences.
    You keep ignoring the question. If trouble is caused by vocal fans being adjacent to away fans, why don’t we seen weekly trouble at the stadiums that allow it?
    If Cardiff City would be the exception, why don’t we see it at Cardiff away games?

Wrong - i and a number of other City fans were stuck in the ground at the back of the bob bank, with the Millwall fans rampaging around and trying to get at us. Both exits had been closed as they were blocked by Millwall fans fighting outside with City fans and there was nowhere to go. We were ‘protected’ by a handful of stewards. Luckily the police managed to regain control before they got across the pitch into the terracing. You are trying to defend the indefensible. As I said before, the new stadium has largely solved all these problems which is why I am totally against the relaxing of crowd segregation.
    Absolute rubbish they never came anywhere near the Bob bank….I was sitting in the front row of seats for ages waiting for it all to calm down outside before I left…..

Definitely arse talk….

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    You keep ignoring the question. If trouble is caused by vocal fans being adjacent to away fans, why don’t we seen weekly trouble at the stadiums that allow it?
    If Cardiff City would be the exception, why don’t we see it at Cardiff away games?

Well the easy answer is that we do see some trouble at City away games, such as when fans wrecked the toilet's at Bristol City last year. Whilst I accept that could have happened wherever the opposing fans were located, these incidents always seem to occur at the higher profile games where the rivalry and intimidation is obviously much more intense. In our case that would be the games against Bristol City, Swansea, Leeds, Millwall, Birmingham, West Brom etc and having rival fans located close to each other especially on those occasions would only add to the problem. Some clubs are known for having a more family friendly atmosphere and don't have a big reputation for past hooliganism, so there would be less likelihood of problems arising if fans were close at those games but unfortunately you have to cater for the worst case scenario in these matters. Older people, disabled people, women and children would be much less likely to attend games if there was foul language, intimidation and the possibility of violence. The other question is - how many clubs actually allow it now ? My recollection is that there are few in the Championship. The problem at Reading was that originally the home fans were turfed out of their normal section to make room for the away fans and there were many complaints and some people stopped going, so in order to appease fans and get attendances up, Reading moved the home section back next to the away area. Reading are not a club with a particular hooligan problem that I know of, so that would explain why there would be less likely to be problems with the arrangement (plus there would be the threat of the club changing it back) but that doesn't make it the right thing to do generally.

Absolute rubbish they never came anywhere near the Bob bank….I was sitting in the front row of seats for ages waiting for it all to calm down outside before I left…..
    And you didn't think the fact that both exits were blocked, home fans were stuck in the ground with no police presence near and that the Millwall fans were on the pitch in front of the grandstand, breaking through into the tunnel area and damaging the stand, with nothing to stop them getting on the bob bank was a concern ? You obviously must have a much higher threshold for acceptable levels of violence and associated risks to your health than most normal people then. It was just another normal day at the office for you perhaps.

Well the easy answer is that we do see some trouble at City away games, such as when fans wrecked the toilet's at Bristol City last year. Whilst I accept that could have happened wherever the opposing fans were located, these incidents always seem to occur at the higher profile games where the rivalry and intimidation is obviously much more intense. In our case that would be the games against Bristol City, Swansea, Leeds, Millwall, Birmingham, West Brom etc and having rival fans located close to each other especially on those occasions would only add to the problem. Some clubs are known for having a more family friendly atmosphere and don't have a big reputation for past hooliganism, so there would be less likelihood of problems arising if fans were close at those games but unfortunately you have to cater for the worst case scenario in these matters. Older people, disabled people, women and children would be much less likely to attend games if there was foul language, intimidation and the possibility of violence. The other question is - how many clubs actually allow it now ? My recollection is that there are few in the Championship. The problem at Reading was that originally the home fans were turfed out of their normal section to make room for the away fans and there were many complaints and some people stopped going, so in order to appease fans and get attendances up, Reading moved the home section back next to the away area. Reading are not a club with a particular hooligan problem that I know of, so that would explain why there would be less likely to be problems with the arrangement (plus there would be the threat of the club changing it back) but that doesn't make it the right thing to do generally.
    That's one example from ~25 away games every season. If our support was so bad surely there would be loads of instances of similar events. Considering you said "these incidents always seem to occur at the higher profile games" it certainly seems a rare occurrence to me.
    Bristol also have their vocal support at the opposite end of the stadium so the catalyst for that trouble can't be blamed on having opposing fans next to each other.

What about games where Cardiff and the vocal home fans have been next to each other? Huddersfield, Derby, Forest, Reading, Middlesbrough, Birmingham, Norwich, Luton and probably more that I'm forgetting, I believe all have that set up.

I’ve read your opinions of some of our players, that’s another reason I doubt your attendance. You also seem to think that home and away fans at our ground are kept apart due to the layout, home and away fans mix freely around the perimeter of our ground regularly. If you do go you must wear blinkers.

And you didn't think the fact that both exits were blocked, home fans were stuck in the ground with no police presence near and that the Millwall fans were on the pitch in front of the grandstand, breaking through into the tunnel area and damaging the stand, with nothing to stop them getting on the bob bank was a concern ? You obviously must have a much higher threshold for acceptable levels of violence and associated risks to your health than most normal people then. It was just another normal day at the office for you perhaps.
    No, like I said that game is the only time this century I’ve seen actual fighting at a game, millwall fans were on the pitch by the grandstand but never once came over the Bob bank like you initially suggested so you were talking out if your arse again. They tried to go under the grandstand but had a very rude awakening shall we say so didn’t know where to go….back on to the grange end looking like idiots from what I can recall. You obv like to blow things out of proportion and have had a somewhat sheltered life. I’ve seen various levels of crazy stuff in countries I’ve been to around the world so maybe the odd scuffle or chavs acting up like I see on nights out in town doesn’t really register with me. Far worse trouble in cardiff city centre every weekend than anywhere near the ccs

No, like I said that game is the only time this century I’ve seen actual fighting at a game, millwall fans were on the pitch by the grandstand but never once came over the Bob bank like you initially suggested so you were talking out if your arse again. They tried to go under the grandstand but had a very rude awakening shall we say so didn’t know where to go….back on to the grange end looking like idiots from what I can recall. You obv like to blow things out of proportion and have had a somewhat sheltered life. I’ve seen various levels of crazy stuff in countries I’ve been to around the world so maybe the odd scuffle or chavs acting up like I see on nights out in town doesn’t really register with me. Far worse trouble in cardiff city centre every weekend than anywhere near the ccs