+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: now that we have...

now that we have...

a left footed ball playing CB, I wonder if we will see a return to 3 - 4 - 3 or 3 - 4 - 1 - 2 at any point?
    if we get into a bad run then they may well want to try it again.

something like a back 3 of Ng Kipre and Simpson

wing backs Romeo and Collins

Wintle and Rinomhota in midfield

then sawyers/Colwill behind 2 strikers

or 1 striker and 2 wingers

Re: now that we have...

...found love what are we going to do with it?

These formations are getting more and more complicated. How about playing 1-10 and try and score one more than the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Parti Mellow View Post
    These formations are getting more and more complicated. How about playing 1-10 and try and score one more than the opposition.
    It’s getting ridiculous isn’t it, managers, coaches and fans are disappearing up their own arses with all this complicating of a simple game, Christ knows what the baffled players are thinking........even you are advocating a new revolutionary tactic of playing with 10 men

You can tell which posters still play football manager

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    a left footed ball playing CB, I wonder if we will see a return to 3 - 4 - 3 or 3 - 4 - 1 - 2 at any point?
    Hopefully not.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Hopefully not.
    it can be really good.

Birmingham will probably play some variation of that on the weekend, and there are loads of other clubs playing it in this division

if we get into a bad run then they may well want to try it again.

something like a back 3 of Ng Kipre and Simpson

wing backs Romeo and Collins

Wintle and Rinomhota in midfield

then sawyers/Colwill behind 2 strikers

or 1 striker and 2 wingers
    You've overthunked this haven't you

I don’t think we’ve signed 4 attacking wingers to then revert back to the wing back formation somehow

We’ve got quite a few centre backs.
    Is Mick McCarthy coming back?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I don’t think we’ve signed 4 attacking wingers to then revert back to the wing back formation somehow
    you CAN play with wingers and wingbacks - you just tuck the wingers inside slightly. then when you're attacking you should have 5 players involved

you CAN play with wingers and wingbacks - you just tuck the wingers inside slightly. then when you're attacking you should have 5 players involved
    Nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    We’ve got quite a few centre backs.
    Is Mick McCarthy coming back?
    We’ve got quite a few of everything. For a club that’s apparently skint and built on a shoestring the squad is massive compared to what Midk had to work with at start of last season.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It’s getting ridiculous isn’t it, managers, coaches and fans are disappearing up their own arses with all this complicating of a simple game, Christ knows what the baffled players are thinking........even you are advocating a new revolutionary tactic of playing with 10 men
    How much spontaneity is there left in the game? What sort of feedback would a player who tried something off the cuff which failed get from his manager and coaches? I was really shocked to learn about twenty years ago that a player like Marc Overmars (ie a dribbler) had been ordered to take no more than three touches of the ball after he received it by Van Gaal when he was at Ajax

Yep, I managed a side using this for 3 season, we got promoted twice and to two finals. Kept the core of 222 through the middle and let the 2 on each side operate as you’ve described. That was at Tier 13 though, not sure it would work at Tier 2

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    ...found love what are we going to do with it?
    Beat me to it!

So you have 3 centre backs, 2 defensive midfielders, 2 wing backs who play wide, 2 wingers who aren't on the wing but are attacking midfielders who are quite wide, and one solitary striker without another attacker within 50 yards of him? Nurse, nurse, we've found another one....

Nonsense
    I mean there are plenty of examples of teams playing like that.

Pep when he was at Bayern with Robben and Ribery either side of Lewandowski

I mean there are plenty of examples of teams playing like that.

Pep when he was at Bayern with Robben and Ribery either side of Lewandowski
    LOL

Elite players playing for elite clubs who 90% of the time come up against a low block so can afford to play with so many attacking players.

Weve only just learned to pass it from defence to midfield, we havent quite managed to coach attacking plays that create overloads for our wingers / full backs and yet you think we could play with wing backs and inverted wingers.

Dream on.

I was watching Morison on Tuesday speaking to his assistant in a mouthpiece during the game who was then speaking to the analyst who was sat in the grandstand watching the game on an iPad and playing back the previous passage of play and relaying it back to Morison.

It really helped

LOL

Elite players playing for elite clubs who 90% of the time come up against a low block so can afford to play with so many attacking players.

Weve only just learned to pass it from defence to midfield, we havent quite managed to coach attacking plays that create overloads for our wingers / full backs and yet you think we could play with wing backs and inverted wingers.

Dream on.
    that's just one example off the top of my head.
    do I really need to trawl through all the clubs playing with 3 at the back in the EFL to find someone at a similar level to us who is playing a similar system to this?

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Beat me to it!
    Grow up

that's just one example off the top of my head.
    do I really need to trawl through all the clubs playing with 3 at the back in the EFL to find someone at a similar level to us who is playing a similar system to this?
    Plenty play 3 at the back you are talking about playing 3 at the back, wingbacks AND wingers. Its a nonsense. The only way to play it with our squad is with 2 x 10s (Colwill and Swayers) and a striker or 1 x 10 and 2 strikers. We have not just signed 4 actual wingers / wide forwards to then play a wing back formation and use those wingers on the inside. Simple logic really. Youve clearly played too much FM.

Sheff U is the one that springs to mind at our level who did something left field, but not what you are suggesting. Wilding played 3 at the back and the centre halves overlapped the wingbacks. 3 in central midfield and 2 upfront. They did not play with wing backs AND wingers.

Plenty play 3 at the back you are talking about playing 3 at the back, wingbacks AND wingers. Its a nonsense. The only way to play it with our squad is with 2 x 10s (Colwill and Swayers) and a striker or 1 x 10 and 2 strikers.
    You couldn't even do that as you'd have no defensive midfield cover unless your attacking midfielders or wingers provided that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    You couldn't even do that as you'd have no defensive midfield cover unless your attacking midfielders or wingers provided that.
    Youd have 2 in centre midfield as suggested by RJK in opening post. But then he also suggests Ralls should be dropped, which again isnt very logical as hes the captain so cant see Morison doing that either.