+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 1 - 0 BIRMINGHAM CITY. Match thread

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 1 - 0 BIRMINGHAM CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I wish that people would lay off Watters. He did a lot of good things today and worked hard in searing heat. He is young and relatively inexperienced and just needs a goal. Their goalie made two good saves from him today, both were going in the net. It was an excellent TEAM performance and everyone contributed. Harris hasn't contributed goals either recently but he doesn't get the constant criticism that Watters does. Watters looked out on his feet at half time and I wouldn't be surprised if he was substituted due to heat exhaustion. Stick with him and I think he will come good.
    I do feel for him as it's likely confidence but he had 2 or 3 chances which he should of buried and it would have made an easier game for us. If you want to be the main striker youve got to score those chances

Harris at least gets himself involved and i thought he was excellent today when he came on.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Why is it totally wrong, because you have a different opinion to me? Wintle was anonymous second half, there, I’ve said it again. Birmingham switched from trying to go through the middle to playing out wide. He had a excellent game first half but hardly had a touch second half. O’Dowda, Collins & Rinamhota the pick of the bunch for me.
    I just don't get why you would say he was anonymous in the second half. You obviously weren't watching him or are using that word deliberately just to incite a reaction on here. I am not the only person who thinks he wasn't - he was fully involved in the game from start to finish. I can think of at least three occasions second half when he was involved in interplay on the edge of their area and slid passes into the box for O’Dowda and others to run on to. As someone else said above, he was also involved in the move that set up Etete’s header at the far post. He also covered every blade of grass chasing and tackling and breaking up their play. Why would anyone say that any of our players were anonymous after the performance and win - everyone contributed for the full amount of time they were on the pitch. And thats my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Morison was a bit spikey in the post-match press conference.

I thought he was going to rip Glen Williams' head off at one point.

Possibly over defensive and over sensitive to a fairly routine question about missed chances - but it probably plays very well with the squad, and Max Watters in particular.

You would want to be in a trench with him.
    I wouldn’t usually notice a name of a “journalist” but I read the play ratings for walesonline and it was something like a child would write so had to look who wrote it and it was that Williams. Don’t think it give him the time of day either.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I just don't get why you would say he was anonymous in the second half. You obviously weren't watching him or are using that word deliberately just to incite a reaction on here..
    it seems that people are not allowed to have a different opinion to you, what’s it like to be so self righteous? Please reread my original post it seems you like to cherry pick. seems Glen Williams also shares a different opinion to you as well.

Possibly over defensive and over sensitive to a fairly routine question about missed chances - but it probably plays very well with the squad, and Max Watters in particular.

Haven’t seen or heard it Jon, some highlights please

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Very good performance overall, but the lack of quality from all our centre-forwards is painfully obvious.
    Lack of goals yes, but I thought all three of them had their moments today.

I’ve just watched the interview and, as someone who has been critical of our manager’s dealings with the media in the past, I thought he was in the right this time. Glen Williams started his question by saying that he was going to be a typical negative journalist and then a few seconds later he was protesting that he wasn’t being negative.

Of course, it’s frustrating that we didn’t win by as many as we deserved to, but that was an enjoyable watch today where the positives far outweighed the negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Lack of goals yes, but I thought all three of them had their moments today.
    Birmingham were awful defensively. I doubt that our strikers will have many easier games this season.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Birmingham were awful defensively. I doubt that our strikers will have many easier games this season.
    So, you’re writing Etete off on the basis of one bad miss?

He needs a lot of work but he at least offered something different, he offered different problems. I though he looked ok, maybe a little sluggish as in as much he didn’t seem to know his role as well as others who had a preseason with us. I’ve said it before but still think we need two strikers.

I’d still love Hugill in this team. Not involved at Norwich today

We put in a display like that and of course the opposition are crap. Ah well.

Of course not.

imagine we had beaten a terrible reading team as well, the expectation now would be ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    We put in a display like that and of course the opposition are crap. Ah well.
    That goal today was a team goal. One of the best I've seen us score in years. That was a really good team performance today in very difficult conditions. We were unlucky not to get more goals and on another day, they would have been gone in.

Thought both sides should have been given penalties but I'm liking the way the refs are letting the game flow this season and adding time on properly for wasting it so not that fussed.

I'm in the Watters camp tbh and thought he had as good as a game as any striker could have without netting one. I've said before he's a young lad who's more used to non-league football than any of our other squad members (I think) and to that end, if Morison sticks with him and turns him into the player I think is there, then I'll personally build a shrine to our manager.

There was some good football played out there today and I agree with Bob, his post match was spot on and I too now think, he's more nervous than his swagger lets on. Something I can identify with and I find more human.

Edit: players make mistakes, we all do. I think it's unfair for us to single out Watters or Etete. Sometimes, it appears to be the harder thing to do, but there it is. I've made loads of mistakes today but luckily nobody was watching me.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    That goal today was a team goal. One of the best I've seen us score in years. That was a really good team performance today in very difficult conditions. We were unlucky not to get more goals and on another day, they would have been gone in.

Thought both sides should have been given penalties but I'm liking the way the refs are letting the game flow this season and adding time on properly for wasting it so not that fussed.

I'm in the Watters camp tbh and thought he had as good as a game as any striker could have without netting one. I've said before he's a young lad who's more used to non-league football than any of our other squad members (I think) and to that end, if Morison sticks with him and turns him into the player I think is there, then I'll personally build a shrine to our manager.

There was some good football played out there today and I agree with Bob, his post match was spot on and I too now think, he's more nervous than his swagger lets on. Something I can identify with and I find more human.

Edit: players make mistakes, we all do. I think it's unfair for us to single out Watters or Etete. Sometimes, it appears to be the harder thing to do, but there it is. I've made loads of mistakes today but luckily nobody was watching me.
    Top post

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I’d still love Hugill in this team. Not involved at Norwich today
    Hugill is a vast upgrade on Harris and Watters.

At least he can hold the ball when it is passed to him, doesn’t continually lose possession and even managed to score the odd goal (a few more would have been better, admittedly)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    it seems that people are not allowed to have a different opinion to you, what’s it like to be so self righteous? Please reread my original post it seems you like to cherry pick. seems Glen Williams also shares a different opinion to you as well.
    I did read your post in full. It was inaccurate about our best player this season. Not just my opinion either. Take it on the chin.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Three good points, but Birmingham were dreadful.
    We definitely lost something in midfield when Sawyers went off - Colwill has the skill to lay on some great passes, but he doesn't have the same work rate.
    Much as I want to see Colwill play, it seemed like an odd substitution.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Why is it that for some people anyone we beat must by definition be "dreadful"?
    Well they weren’t very good, but neither were Reading and they managed to beat us…..

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    He needs a lot of work but he at least offered something different, he offered different problems. I though he looked ok, maybe a little sluggish as in as much he didn’t seem to know his role as well as others who had a preseason with us. I’ve said it before but still think we need two strikers.
    two strikers? as well as Etete, Harris, Watters and Davies when he's back ? that would be 6 strikers and we are playing with 1 up front.

That is all very laudable but if you kept making repeated mistakes in your job, that were seriously affecting the performance of your team, your boss would not let it continue.

You’d get extra training, or something would be done. Or you could even get fired.

That is the comparison that you should be making not ‘I made a mistake today by accidentally turning two pages of the newspaper instead of one but no one noticed’

🙄

We all want Watters and Davies to succeed but management is paid to make decisions about people who are capable or not of doing their job. (thankfully mine is WAY easier than being a Championship striker!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    That is all very laudable but if you kept making repeated mistakes in your job, that were seriously affecting the performance of your team, your boss would not let it continue.

You’d get extra training, or something would be done. Or you could even get fired.

That is the comparison that you should be making not ‘I made a mistake today by accidentally turning two pages of the newspaper instead of one but no one noticed’

��

We all want Watters and Davies to succeed but management is paid to make decisions about people who are capable or not of doing their job. (thankfully mine is WAY easier than being a Championship striker!)
    We could do these metaphors for weeks BD!

It's league game 3. We've won 2 out of 3. Everybody out there makes a mistake in a game, it's the sum of all the parts. One minute we say "give them time" or "they're a new team" or "I'll be happy if we avoid relegation" or, or, etc. etc.

You can't say management are paid to make these decisions and then have a go at the players all the time. I think Morison did the right thing by starting him yesterday (I'd have played him against Portsmouth on Tuesday night) and one of my criticism's last season was that our manager never knew his starting 11. Do we right off Etete for his, arguably, a worse miss yesterday? No. If it keeps happening then have a go at the manager not the player. There was a team out there yesterday. It was another good win at home and there were plenty of chances which was even better than against Norwich. Morison and the lads deserve a lot of credit for what they gave us yesterday in, as I said, horrible conditions to play a game of football.

If we keep playing like this at home, and picking up points, then teams won't want to play here. That's a far cry from last season. Then, we can hopefully start picking up some points away from home in what should be the harder fixtures.

We have to stop focusing on individuals and look at the team and management as a whole. They did good yesterday. Very good.
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 14-08-22 at 07:43. Reason: Heat

First half should have been out of sight, nearly paid for it but thankfully not.

Good passing, movement, nice to have a squad at least comfortable with the ball at their feet.

Second half Birmingham came into it more but I think a 15 minute spell aside we largely controlled it.

So nice to also have players that can turn and drive through the centre of the pitch. Massive difference.

Watters just doesn't look to be enjoying himself, his movement is decent but just seems a split second off the pace. A goal would do him the world of good.

Think we are just cursed though, even Madine for us scores that Etete header.