+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 1 - 0 BIRMINGHAM CITY. Match thread

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 1 - 0 BIRMINGHAM CITY. Match thread

Just watched the highlights and looked like one way traffic but don’t know how selective it was. Encouraging stuff, should have been put to bed with a higher scoreline on that viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    We could do these metaphors for weeks BD!

It's league game 3. We've won 2 out of 3. Everybody out there makes a mistake in a game, it's the sum of all the parts. One minute we say "give them time" or "they're a new team" or "I'll be happy if we avoid relegation" or, or, etc. etc.

You can't say management are paid to make these decisions and then have a go at the players all the time. I think Morison did the right thing by starting him yesterday (I'd have played him against Portsmouth on Tuesday night) and one of my criticism's last season was that our manager never knew his starting 11. Do we right off Etete for his, arguably, a worse miss yesterday? No. If it keeps happening then have a go at the manager not the player. There was a team out there yesterday. It was another good win at home and there were plenty of chances which was even better than against Norwich. Morison and the lads deserve a lot of credit for what they gave us yesterday in, as I said, horrible conditions to play a game of football.

If we keep playing like this at home, and picking up points, then teams won't want to play here. That's a far cry from last season. Then, we can hopefully start picking up some points away from home in what should be the harder fixtures.

We have to stop focusing on individuals and look at the team and management as a whole. They did good yesterday. Very good.
    I agree, however, and I suspect that this is true for many of us who have suffered watching Cardiff City over the years, it doesn’t take long to spot a player who is not up to it. I’m no football manager (other than kids football!) but for example, I could tell after 5 minutes of watching Gary Madine, or Richard Langley that they simply weren’t good enough, and then I spent the rest of their time at Cardiff City praying and actually expecting them to do something good! I could provide countless more examples done the years, rather sadly.

And then I think: ‘What did people who know far more about football than me, see in them?!’

At the moment Watters and Harris fall into that category as did James Collins (not the Ginger Monster)

I really, really hope that I’m wrong on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    two strikers? as well as Etete, Harris, Watters and Davies when he's back ? that would be 6 strikers and we are playing with 1 up front.
    I’d move on Watters and Harris and I think Etete who even Morison described as a project and imo will be on the very fringes of the squad. Other than Etete we had all those players last season and Morison still brought in two strikers. I think it’s needed. Probably won’t happen mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I’d move on Watters and Harris and I think Etete who even Morison described as a project and imo will be on the very fringes of the squad. Other than Etete we had all those players last season and Morison still brought in two strikers. I think it’s needed. Probably won’t happen mind.
    Agreed.

And it will become frustrating for the team if they continue to play this pleasing, modern day brand of football, and the chances being created are being fluffed on a regular basis.

Total football

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I wish that people would lay off Watters. He did a lot of good things today and worked hard in searing heat. He is young and relatively inexperienced and just needs a goal. Their goalie made two good saves from him today, both were going in the net. It was an excellent TEAM performance and everyone contributed. Harris hasn't contributed goals either recently but he doesn't get the constant criticism that Watters does. Watters looked out on his feet at half time and I wouldn't be surprised if he was substituted due to heat exhaustion. Stick with him and I think he will come good.
    Relatively inexperienced? He's played over 100 professional games.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Relatively inexperienced? He's played over 100 professional games.
    I'm pretty sure the likes of Barking, Ashford Utd, Mickleover Sports and Grantham Town are semi-professional at best.

Watters has started 26 Football League matches and made sub appearances in a further 19.

He's now started nine Championship games for Cardiff City. He's been taken off in every one of them and the latest he's been subbed in any of those games is 66 minutes. He's been taken off on 55 mins, 57 mins, 56 mins, 37 mins, 66 mins, 63 mins, 60 mins, 52 mins and 45 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I’d still love Hugill in this team. Not involved at Norwich today
    As it stands, I'd definitely take Hugill over what we've got.

Watched the itv highlights programme earlier and can't believe the pundit, Jaime Mackie thought they had a better penalty shout than us

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Watched the itv highlights programme earlier and can't believe the pundit, Jaime Mackie thought they had a better penalty shout than us
    I’ve just finished watching it. I wasn’t sure about either claim in the ground, but they both looked certain penalties on the replays.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    We could do these metaphors for weeks BD!

It's league game 3. We've won 2 out of 3. Everybody out there makes a mistake in a game, it's the sum of all the parts. One minute we say "give them time" or "they're a new team" or "I'll be happy if we avoid relegation" or, or, etc. etc.

You can't say management are paid to make these decisions and then have a go at the players all the time. I think Morison did the right thing by starting him yesterday (I'd have played him against Portsmouth on Tuesday night) and one of my criticism's last season was that our manager never knew his starting 11. Do we right off Etete for his, arguably, a worse miss yesterday? No. If it keeps happening then have a go at the manager not the player. There was a team out there yesterday. It was another good win at home and there were plenty of chances which was even better than against Norwich. Morison and the lads deserve a lot of credit for what they gave us yesterday in, as I said, horrible conditions to play a game of football.

If we keep playing like this at home, and picking up points, then teams won't want to play here. That's a far cry from last season. Then, we can hopefully start picking up some points away from home in what should be the harder fixtures.

We have to stop focusing on individuals and look at the team and management as a whole. They did good yesterday. Very good.
    Watters had the ball at his feet with plenty of time and he ****ed it up. Etete headed off target from a cross, albeit a perfectly weighted one. Watters miss was far worse in my opinion.

Watters had the ball at his feet with plenty of time and he ****ed it up. Etete headed off target from a cross, albeit a perfectly weighted one. Watters miss was far worse in my opinion.
    From my vantage point in the Ninian Stand, Etete’s chance was an absolute sitter. Three yards out, open goal, nobody anywhere near him. Terrible miss.

That’s no defence of Watters, who looks like he’s in the wrong division, but Etete’s chance was far easier.

We were celebrating Etete’s goal in the Grandstand, up on our feet, arms in the air waiting for the net to ripple. Seemed impossible that he would miss......how wrong we were, I’m still trying to fathom out how he did miss.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    From my vantage point in the Ninian Stand, Etete’s chance was an absolute sitter. Three yards out, open goal, nobody anywhere near him. Terrible miss.

That’s no defence of Watters, who looks like he’s in the wrong division, but Etete’s chance was far easier.
    And yet….lots of people on Twitter seem to actually think that Watters had his best game for the club on Saturday (from a low bar admittedly).

Quite how Morison saw enough from Watters to describe his performance as ‘unbelievable’ is utterly beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    And yet….lots of people on Twitter seem to actually think that Watters had his best game for the club on Saturday (from a low bar admittedly).

Quite how Morison saw enough from Watters to describe his performance as ‘unbelievable’ is utterly beyond me.
    The Twitter lot can be an interesting bunch, will jump on any criticism of Watters but more than happy to continually slag off Mark Harris, a player who usually puts in a better performance than Watters does

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The Twitter lot can be an interesting bunch, will jump on any criticism of Watters but more than happy to continually slag off Mark Harris, a player who usually puts in a better performance than Watters does
    The Sky Commentators thought Watters made some excellent runs and was unfortunate not to score.

From the Ninian Stand I thought he was hopeless. But although my first game watching City was in 1961 I know very little about managing a team because football is not my business.

I said before the season started we would have to be patient. It now seems we have to be patient with just one player. That's not really so bad, is it?

If Morison still thinks Watters has something, then I would go with his view.

I expect Nelson to start against 2 points in 3 games West Brom on Wednesday as well.

As it stands, I'd definitely take Hugill over what we've got.
    Most Norwich fans in this thread would like to offload Hugill

https://forum.pinkun.com/index.php?/...ll-or-sargent/

the xG that I've seen would tend to agree with you.

Quite. Really weird.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    The Sky Commentators thought Watters made some excellent runs and was unfortunate not to score.

From the Ninian Stand I thought he was hopeless. But although my first game watching City was in 1961 I know very little about managing a team because football is not my business.

I said before the season started we would have to be patient. It now seems we have to be patient with just one player. That's not really so bad, is it?

If Morison still thinks Watters has something, then I would go with his view.

I expect Nelson to start against 2 points in 3 games West Brom on Wednesday as well.

We are all being patient with Watters but that doesn’t mean that we can’t say that we thought that he was really poor on Sat.

As for ‘unbelievable’ though 🤦*♂️🙄

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    the xG that I've seen would tend to agree with you.
    Are you serious? Do you actually watch games or just look at bizarre opinion-based stats sites afterwards?

I don’t want to go on about this but someone just Tweeted this:

‘I thought Watters was great with his work rate, showing for the ball the feet, holding it up etc. But yeah did miss a couple of chances. If he scores one I have no doubt everyone’s talking about what a complete centre forwards performance it was’

I must have been watching a different game. He was taken off in the 61st minute!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I don’t want to go on about this but someone just Tweeted this:

‘I thought Watters was great with his work rate, showing for the ball the feet, holding it up etc. But yeah did miss a couple of chances. If he scores one I have no doubt everyone’s talking about what a complete centre forwards performance it was’

I must have been watching a different game. He was taken off in the 61st minute!
    You were he was subbed at half time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    You were he was subbed at half time.