FT: CARDIFF CITY 1 - 0 BIRMINGHAM CITY. Match thread

Saturday 13th August, ko 12:30pm
    Live on Sky Sports

Match Officials:

Referee: DARREN BOND
    Assistants: Philip Dermott and Nigel Lugg
    Fourth Official : James Bell

Re: CARDIFF CITY v BIRMINGHAM CITY. Match thread

3-0 City, Etete to score first. Attendance: 18352.

I remember going to a game between these two , a very long tome ago, at Ninian. My lasting memory was the hundreds of Brummies who’d travelled down singing “ Keep right on till the end of the road”. It was literally ringing round the ground towards the final whistle. Great memories, great days , when football was the working man’s ballet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    I remember going to a game between these two , a very long tome ago, at Ninian. My lasting memory was the hundreds of Brummies who’d travelled down singing “ Keep right on till the end of the road”. It was literally ringing round the ground towards the final whistle. Great memories, great days , when football was the working man’s ballet.

I watched Birmingham quite a number of times live in the mid 90s when my cousin played for them. That song was always sang very loudly, especially away from home.

My first game at Ninian was a 3-1 win against Birmingham in 1970, played in torrential rain and a on a pitch with a large top layer of mud. King, Toshack, Bird (pen) - happy days!

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    My first game at Ninian was a 3-1 win against Birmingham in 1970, played in torrential rain and a on a pitch with a large top layer of mud. King, Toshack, Bird (pen) - happy days!
    I’ve got a feeling, that this was the game we went to from one of the boys (Alan Fraine’s) wedding.
    All kitted out in our suits, carnations in button holes.

Oh happy days

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I’ve got a feeling, that this was the game we went to from one of the boys (Alan Fraine’s) wedding.
    All kitted out in our suits, carnations in button holes.

Oh happy days
    Clearly an omen, you should wear a suit (1970 style) and a carnation tomorrow.

Clearly an omen, you should wear a suit (1970 style) and a carnation tomorrow.
    He’s still knocking about in his Top Rank attire circa ‘68……70s indeed!!!!

This game's going to determine whether I have a good or bad weekend.

1-1 Harris equaliser late on 🙃

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    This game's going to determine whether I have a good or bad weekend.
    I'm the same.
    Expecting a low key game ending 0-0 with a lot of sunburned players.

seems like Birmingham played something like a 3-1-4-2 against Huddersfield, which will be an interesting challenge.
    we will need to pin their wingbacks back and stop them getting balls in to Deeney and Hogan as they could be a real handful for us in the air.

Still very much in the, “haven’t a clue what team will be picked or turn up” part of the season. Hoping we get to see Etete today.

Ryan Woods supposedly having a medical at Hull. Has started the first two games for Birmingham.

Think the team will turn up today but we will concede 3-1 mighty Bluebirds

Match facts

• Cardiff City are unbeaten in seven league matches against Birmingham City (W4 D3) since a 1-0 defeat in October 2017.
    • Birmingham have won none of their last nine away league games against Cardiff (D3 L6), last winning there back in September 2008, a 2-1 win under Alex McLeish.
    • Cardiff won 1-0 against Norwich in their opening game of this season and will be looking to win their first two home games of a league campaign for the first time since 2019-20, under Neil Warnock.
    • Birmingham will be looking to win consecutive games in the Championship for the first time since November 2021, when they won three in a row versus Swansea, Middlesbrough and Bristol City.
    • Cardiff have averaged fewer shots per game than any other side in the Championship this season (4.5), attempting just nine shots from their first two games. They have, however, scored in both matches, converting 22% of their attempts so far.

This, if I can remember, we scored two goals in the first 5 mins.

StT.
    <><

COME ON CITTYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Be interesting to see the Villa lad as didn’t see the cup game.

I feel this may be Watters last chance today, hope he pulls it out of the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Has to be surely. Simply has to score today.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    I was just thinking we need a big game from Watters. I still think we need another two strikers.

Probably the 11 I'd have picked.

Dion Sanderson starting for Birmingham with Neil Etheridge on the bench:

Starting XI: John Ruddy, Dion Sanderson, Marc Roberts, Auston Trusty, Maxime Colin, Jordan James, Alfie Chang, Juninho Bacuna, Przemyslaw Placheta, Scott Hogan, Troy Deeney (Captain).

Substitutes: Neil Etheridge, George Friend, Josh Williams, George Hall, Jonathan Leko, Jobe Bellingham, Lukas Jutkiewicz.