+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 1 - 0 BIRMINGHAM CITY. Match thread

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 1 - 0 BIRMINGHAM CITY. Match thread

It is also worth remembering that these players are just getting to know each other....strengths...weaknesses etc. You have to give credit to SM in getting these players in - and when they finally gel - and with the addition of a goal scorer (easier said than done....) we will be a force to contend with this season.
    My glass is actually two thirds full.....

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    He literally described it as a 'near perfect performance', which it was.
    He literally said, "it wasn't easy".

Which it was.

Very good performance overall, but the lack of quality from all our centre-forwards is painfully obvious.

How the hell did we lose to Reading….3 down to Rotherham already

Is 1-0 ever easy? I was really nervous for the last 15 minutes and was mortified when I heard there were 6 minutes of injury time.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Is 1-0 ever easy? I was really nervous for the last 15 minutes and was mortified when I heard there were 6 minutes of injury time.
    Me too. Because we've been let down oh so many times before

But that's as easy a 1-0 as we're gonna get!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    He literally said, "it wasn't easy".

Which it was.
    So a 'near perfect performance' in a game that he thought 'wasn't easy'. That's an even bigger compliment. It wasn't easy for us to find the net after our goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    So a 'near perfect performance' in a game that he thought 'wasn't easy'. That's an even bigger compliment. It wasn't easy for us to find the net after our goal.
    Yeh I don't know why I'm even dying on this hill. Seems incredibly pointless

Think Watters time is up. Did himself no favours today, can't complain about not having chances he just simply didn't take them.

Steve Morison waxed lyrical about his Cardiff City players after a bodies-on-the-line performance helped them beat Birmingham City on Saturday.

The Bluebirds were more than decent value for their 1-0 win, thanks to Jaden Philogene's first-half goal. In truth it should have been a lot more, but a number of big opportunities were missed against the Blues.

But defensively they were fantastic and no one embodied that more than Mahlon Romeo, the player who earned the star man accolade in WalesOnline's player ratings, which you can read here.

"I thought he set the tone today," the Bluebirds boss said of Romeo. "That tackle in the first few minutes got everyone off their seats and I thought he was excellent.

"He's solid. He is a different player to the one I played with, he is a bit more defence-minded than he was previously. We are actually trying to bring out a bit of old Mahlon, the one who is galloping, and I thought he did that at the start of the game. He travelled with the ball really well.

"I thought he was excellent and I thought JC (Jamilu Collins) was excellent. Perry came back in, we saw how much we missed him when he didn't play.

"The pleasing thing is we didn't score the chances but we created them. If we keep creating chances like that I'm sure we will score more than we don't."

Cardiff displayed a swagger which was pleasing for both the manager and the 18,000-plus in attendance at Cardiff City Stadium. And Morison thought his side were good value for the win.

"The first half we were tremendous and the second half we started on fire and should have scored another one," he added.

"We went a bit flat, they got half a foothold in the game. But the changes worked in our favour, but we should have had a couple more, but on the whole I'm really pleased.

"I enjoyed the whole thing. I got more anxious as it went on, because we were so dominant but then I kept thinking, 'Oh, they're going to score here'.

"I just said to them in there, that's what it takes. It's no different to the Norwich game, we did the same thing and we created a few more chances. People are getting more confident. Fitter, stronger. And we have to limit other teams. We limited Norwich to a very small number of chances to score goals and we limited Birmingham to a small number of chances to score goals.

"I'm pleased as punch now sitting here. Because if I was sitting here with a draw now I'd have been devastated."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...rdiff-24749808

Quote Originally Posted by bluebirds17 View Post
    Think Watters time is up. Did himself no favours today, can't complain about not having chances he just simply didn't take them.
    His first touch looks woeful

Excellent performance

I wish that people would lay off Watters. He did a lot of good things today and worked hard in searing heat. He is young and relatively inexperienced and just needs a goal. Their goalie made two good saves from him today, both were going in the net. It was an excellent TEAM performance and everyone contributed. Harris hasn't contributed goals either recently but he doesn't get the constant criticism that Watters does. Watters looked out on his feet at half time and I wouldn't be surprised if he was substituted due to heat exhaustion. Stick with him and I think he will come good.

I'm encouraged by the fact Watters is getting himself into positions to have chances. He obviously knows where the back of the net is, his goal record shows that. I'd be more worried if he wasn't getting into the good positions.

Thought Harris was absolutely brilliant when he came on

I thought some of the passing in the first quarter of the game was worse than conference level

We really came into the game later on I felt

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus_Mills View Post
    I can't fault much with that performance, other that not scoring more goals. Once again I thought Collins was outstanding, we looked like we could get in behind them down the left every time, him and Philogene look like they could be a real partnership.
    When I watched first half thought he was excellent

Second half every attack they had came down his side and got past him a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    I'm encouraged by the fact Watters is getting himself into positions to have chances. He obviously knows where the back of the net is, his goal record shows that. I'd be more worried if he wasn't getting into the good positions.

Thought Harris was absolutely brilliant when he came on
    I think he just needs a bit of luck,Harris was very good this is a making of a good team.

They had so many opportunities to slide an easy ball into him he got into so many brilliant positions

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I thought some of the passing in the first quarter of the game was worse than conference level

Is that supposed to be a wind up???

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    This is just totally wrong. Wintle ran the midfield from start to finish. Best player on pitch by a country mile again. How you can say that any of our team was ‘anonymous’ after that performance in 35 degree heat is beyond me.
    I agree entirely with your comments. Wintle was everywhere and deserved to be MOM in my opinion. He certainly wasn’t anonymous second half, but Birmingham did put us under slightly more pressure and the midfield were not so dominant. However, he still got through a tremendous amount of work, and was always in the right place to snuff out any danger. It was a real Captain’s performance.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

???? Bonkers. 😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    This is just totally wrong. Wintle ran the midfield from start to finish. Best player on pitch by a country mile again. How you can say that any of our team was ‘anonymous’ after that performance in 35 degree heat is beyond me.
    Why is it totally wrong, because you have a different opinion to me? Wintle was anonymous second half, there, I’ve said it again. Birmingham switched from trying to go through the middle to playing out wide. He had a excellent game first half but hardly had a touch second half. O’Dowda, Collins & Rinamhota the pick of the bunch for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Woosnam View Post
    I agree entirely with your comments. Wintle was everywhere and deserved to be MOM in my opinion. He certainly wasn’t anonymous second half, but Birmingham did put us under slightly more pressure and the midfield were not so dominant. However, he still got through a tremendous amount of work, and was always in the right place to snuff out any danger. It was a real Captain’s performance.
    He displayed great composure, skill and awareness to get us out of a tight spot and start our attack that ended with the etete headed miss

Morison was a bit spikey in the post-match press conference.

I thought he was going to rip Glen Williams' head off at one point.

Possibly over defensive and over sensitive to a fairly routine question about missed chances - but it probably plays very well with the squad, and Max Watters in particular.

You would want to be in a trench with him.