+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wizz Air cancels most of their Cardiff flights until April 23

Wizz Air cancels most of their Cardiff flights until April 23

Another nail in the coffin of Cardiff Airport

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/wizz-air-cancels-most-flights-24725264?utm_source=sharebar&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sharebar

Re: Wizz Air cancels most of their Cardiff flights until April 23

Wazz Air ?

Wish air

I've flown wizz air, they were ok.

I think a lot of smaller regional airports are probably struggling at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Another nail in the coffin of Cardiff Airport

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...paign=sharebar
    Total and utter kents. I was due to fly to Lanzarote in November and January. They have cancelled both. Means the extra hassle of getting to Bristol for Ryan Air flights. Ah well.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Total and utter kents. I was due to fly to Lanzarote in November and January. They have cancelled both. Means the extra hassle of getting to Bristol for Ryan Air flights. Ah well.....
    What is Lanzarote like?

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    What is Lanzarote like?
    Went to Costa Teguise in a June..sun didn3come out tilk 2pm every say..the wind was blowing sunbeds into the pool...and it was chilly after 9lm..we won't be going back

Use it or lose it, people often say they use Bristol because it's cheaper and I'm sure it is fairly often as the passenger numbers are larger but I often think if it is only say £50-100 more is it really worth spending an extra 1-2 hours each way travel time (depending where you live of course). Price of fuel is surely adding to that now, I think some people go there for a small saving and end up paying almost the same with extra fuel costs etc, let alone travel time/car wear and tear.

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    Use it or lose it, people often say they use Bristol because it's cheaper and I'm sure it is fairly often as the passenger numbers are larger but I often think if it is only say £50-100 more is it really worth spending an extra 1-2 hours each way travel time (depending where you live of course). Price of fuel is surely adding to that now, I think some people go there for a small saving and end up paying almost the same with extra fuel costs etc, let alone travel time/car wear and tear.
    I would happily pay £50 more to fly from cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Same, getting over to Bristol is a ball ache. Then paying for parking for a week.

The airport desperately needs a decent airline, Bristol has gone from strength to strength with easy jet…..then again cardiff is run by the Welsh gov, almost doomed to fail

Well they say they will be back up and running for next year.

Dont give a sh!t if they are cheaper. Wouldnt trust them.

Unless another airline can do something cheaper it will be Easyjet from Bristol for me.

Shame Cardiff Airport could have done with this being a success.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    The airport desperately needs a decent airline, Bristol has gone from strength to strength with easy jet…..then again cardiff is run by the Welsh gov, almost doomed to fail
    the airport would have failed long ago if the Welsh government hadn't stepped in.
    Bristol airport went from strength to strength and left Cardiff in its wake long before the government bought Cardiff airport.

there are definitely other things that I'd like to see at the airport, but it isn't going to happen overnight, and covid must have put any progress back years

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    What is Lanzarote like?
    Great place, I love it there. Have been quite a few times. Last three times, last September, February and May to Costa Teguise, which is more-or-less a chav free resort, catering mainly to couples

Puerto Del Carmen, is alright. The main strip on the front can be a bit like a mini Benidorm. The old Harbour area, is lovely though.

The other main resort Playa Blanca, I have never been too.

There is sun 12 months of the year, although it never gets baking hot as there is usually a slight offshore breeze blowing. Strangely enough this is at it's highest during the summer months of June, July and August. it is welcomed though as it keeps the temperature from getting into the 30s.

The breeze is at it's calmest probably during September and October. These are great months to visit, as the resorts are mainly a lot quieter, the sun is warm and the sea is gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    I’m not sure if it’s a part of the metro plan but a station at the airport would do wonders for business. Currently you have to get off at Rhoose then wait for a connecting bus. You could halve the travel time from Cardiff Central and not need to change over if the trains went direct to the airport.
    Make the platform long enough so the Swansea - London trains can stop there and people from Swansea can be at the airport in ~30mins compared to the current ~90mins which also involves 2 changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I’m not sure if it’s a part of the metro plan but a station at the airport would do wonders for business. Currently you have to get off at Rhoose then wait for a connecting bus. You could halve the travel time from Cardiff Central and not need to change over if the trains went direct to the airport.
    Make the platform long enough so the Swansea - London trains can stop there and people from Swansea can be at the airport in ~30mins compared to the current ~90mins which also involves 2 changes.
    yes that would make a massive difference I'm sure - it wouldn't be cheap to implement though.

another thing that would then allow would be remote airport check in like in Hong Kong.

there there is a check in desk in the city centre, so you can check your luggage and it gets sent off on a train to the airport, you're free to potter about the city until it is time to get your train, and that takes you straight to departures.
    much better than being trapped in an airport for hours.

the airport would have failed long ago if the Welsh government hadn't stepped in.
    Bristol airport went from strength to strength and left Cardiff in its wake long before the government bought Cardiff airport.

there are definitely other things that I'd like to see at the airport, but it isn't going to happen overnight, and covid must have put any progress back years
    Shame. The Spanish ran it into the ground. Despite what people think Cardiff Airport is just as accessible as Bristol, has a longer runway which can accommodate any plane, doesn't have a massive bump in it like Bristol, and is less prone to fog and mist. Altogether a better airport but hopelessly mis-run.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Shame. The Spanish ran it into the ground. Despite what people think Cardiff Airport is just as accessible as Bristol, has a longer runway which can accommodate any plane, doesn't have a massive bump in it like Bristol, and is less prone to fog and mist. Altogether a better airport but hopelessly mis-run.
    yeah the company that took over it had no interest in it, they were after another airport and got Cardiff as part of the deal.
    then they just let it wither on the vine.

the other thing I'd like to see brought in, in conjunction with the direct rail link would be us immigration in the airport like in Dublin.

Why didn’t they just let it fail completely then and pick it up for a lot less? Until they sort out decent access and a proper airline it’s going to continue its decline. I believe Bristol have made access far easier off the motorway too no? Used to fly from cardiff quite a bit (Prague, Amsterdam, Majorca, Ibiza ) but I haven’t even looked there for years, every time I do it’s a disappointment.

yeah the company that took over it had no interest in it, they were after another airport and got Cardiff as part of the deal.
    then they just let it wither on the vine.

the other thing I'd like to see brought in, in conjunction with the direct rail link would be us immigration in the airport like in Dublin.
    Trans Atlantic flight hub would be a winner, can you imagine it ever happening? As you say long runway, 20/30 mins closer than Gatwick and BA already there for maintenance hub etc….

Trans Atlantic flight hub would be a winner, can you imagine it ever happening? As you say long runway, 20/30 mins closer than Gatwick and BA already there for maintenance hub etc….
    if it wasn't for the maintenance it probably would have closed long ago

Why didn’t they just let it fail completely then and pick it up for a lot less? Until they sort out decent access and a proper airline it’s going to continue its decline. I believe Bristol have made access far easier off the motorway too no? Used to fly from cardiff quite a bit (Prague, Amsterdam, Majorca, Ibiza ) but I haven’t even looked there for years, every time I do it’s a disappointment.
    id say access to Bristol isn't much different tbh.
    it was showing signs of improvement before covid hit, no reason it can't again

f8miea8z4dvlovvvsi6nyysrfefjqzw.jpg

Welsh government took over in 2013, seems like steady progress was being made until covid hit

They could do with Qatar Airways back, that was a big plus having them there.

There were plans to build a rail spur to get to the airport but residents complained. Not sure where they are with that now.