+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robert Glatzel

Robert Glatzel

Continuing his fine form for SV Hamburg.

3 goals in 3 games so far this season.

Re: Robert Glatzel

Good for him, not in a sarky way- always seemed a likeable guy.

Not buying into this notion for one second though that he'd score hatfuls in this current team- seems to be the trendy thing to say on Twitter. The German 2nd division is his level by the looks.

He was played as a target man just because he was tall

Don’t think he would have the pace to do anything in this team.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    He was played as a target man just because he was tall

Don’t think he would have the pace to do anything in this team.
    like Zohore and Cornelius before him, hopefully we don't make the same mistake with Etete

I would start him in this current team ahead of anyone we have that’s for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I would start him in this current team ahead of anyone we have that’s for sure.

I think its likely Max Watters gets moved on and bangs in goals at a lower level we will get Watters threads.

Glatzel was a terrible signing and not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I think its likely Max Watters gets moved on and bangs in goals at a lower level we will get Watters threads.

That's already happened! That's why he was recalled. I blame this board.

He was a terrible signing, paid over the odds and big wages for someone that didn’t fit how we played.

Still would be ahead of anyone we have now, in fact I think he would be great in what Morison says he wants his strikers to do.

He was a terrible signing, paid over the odds and big wages for someone that didn’t fit how we played.

Still would be ahead of anyone we have now, in fact I think he would be great in what Morison says he wants his strikers to do.
    I think he would be far from great. I literally had no idea what strengths he had.

Id rather Harris , Davies and even Colwill.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin'sReversibleHat View Post
    Good for him, not in a sarky way- always seemed a likeable guy.

Not buying into this notion for one second though that he'd score hatfuls in this current team- seems to be the trendy thing to say on Twitter. The German 2nd division is his level by the looks.
    We don't create anywhere near enough for him to score the amounts I've seen people on Twitter say he'd score

He also isn't good enough to score the amount they think he would

From what we've seen Morison wants players who press hard and strikers to hold the ball up, Glatzel showed neither of those qualities. He doesn't have the pace to press as effectively as Morison wants, and we all saw how poor he was at hold up play

I think his goal scoring exploits says more about the standard of German second tier football, than it does about Robert Glatzel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I think his goal scoring exploits says more about the standard of German second tier football, than it does about Robert Glatzel.
    Totally agree. Ive even seen a few headers go in.

But apparently we didnt play to his mysterious strenghts.😂

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    From what we've seen Morison wants players who press hard and strikers to hold the ball up, Glatzel showed neither of those qualities. He doesn't have the pace to press as effectively as Morison wants, and we all saw how poor he was at hold up play
    -

And yet a young midfielder who could barely get a kick at Hamburg during the first half of last season walked straight into City's Championship side in January and was one of the team's better performers for the rest of the campaign.

Meanwhile, a 28 year-old left-back who had been playing at a mid-ranking Bundesliga 2 club for the previous four seasons looked one of the best players on the pitch when City beat Norwich a couple of weeks ago.

What does that say about the standard of the Championship by comparison to Bundesliga 2?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    And yet a young midfielder who could barely get a kick at Hamburg during the first half of last season walked straight into City's Championship side in January and was one of the team's better performers for the rest of the campaign.

Meanwhile, a 28 year-old left-back who had been playing at a mid-ranking Bundesliga 2 club for the previous four seasons looked one of the best players on the pitch when City beat Norwich a couple of weeks ago.

What does that say about the standard of the Championship by comparison to Bundesliga 2?
    Do you think perhaps Glatzel was hard done-by during his time at the City?
    Maybe we didn't play to his strengths (whatever they might have been)?

To me, he was one-paced, as weak as a kitten at times, had a tendency to scuff his shots, and for quite a tall player, didn't offer an aerial threat.

I felt at the time it was the right decision to let him go. He might have improved his all-round game since then, I don't know.
    However, I'm convinced if the same Robert Glatzel were to return he'd still be frustrating to watch.

Do you think perhaps Glatzel was hard done-by during his time at the City? Maybe we didn't play to his strengths (whatever they might have been)?
    I honestly don't know. City were an utterly dreadful team to watch during most of his time here. The football was largely prehistoric. Would Glatzel have done any better in a team that set out to play in the way City did yesterday? Maybe, maybe not, but one thing's for sure - I'd have him in the side ahead of Watters or Harris without any hesitation.

I'm more interested in the wider question about the quality of Bundesliga 2, though. Is it a weaker league than the Championship? No idea. I don't think it's possible to compare the two with any kind of certainty. As I said before, Doyle couldn't get a game at Hamburg but walked into City's Championship side. Collins, who came from a mid-ranking Bundesliga 2 club, looked very useful again yesterday, just as he did against Norwich.

What puzzles me more than anything is the notion that the Championship is a strong league. It's competitive without a doubt, and it's physically-demanding for sure. It's a tough division to play in, often unpredictable, but the quality of the football rarely looks particularly good, especially in recent years.

It would be really interesting to see how the top ten Bundesliga 2 sides would compare with the the top ten Championship sides if they were to play each other over the course of a season, but it's something that's never going to happen so we can only guess how it would work out.

Agreed, i don't think Warnock did his research and was guided stereotypes.

If Glatzel is so crap, I’d be grateful to have it explained to why he scores so many goals in German football - I’d love to have seen how he would have done in a team playing like we did yesterday.

I honestly don't know. City were an utterly dreadful team to watch during most of his time here. The football was largely prehistoric. Would Glatzel have done any better in a team that set out to play in the way City did yesterday? Maybe, maybe not, but one thing's for sure - I'd have him in the side ahead of Watters or Harris without any hesitation.

I'm more interested in the wider question about the quality of Bundesliga 2, though. Is it a weaker league than the Championship? No idea. I don't think it's possible to compare the two with any kind of certainty. As I said before, Doyle couldn't get a game at Hamburg but walked into City's Championship side. Collins, who came from a mid-ranking Bundesliga 2 club, looked very useful again yesterday, just as he did against Norwich.

What puzzles me more than anything is the notion that the Championship is a strong league. It's competitive without a doubt, and it's physically-demanding for sure. It's a tough division to play in, often unpredictable, but the quality of the football rarely looks particularly good, especially in recent years.

It would be really interesting to see how the top ten Bundesliga 2 sides would compare with the the top ten Championship sides if they were to play each other over the course of a season, but it's something that's never going to happen so we can only guess how it would work out.
    As you say, it's difficult to compare. My impression fwiw (very little!) after going to a couple of St.Pauli games last season, and watching the two B1/B2 relegation games on TV, is that any one of the teams I saw would have struggled against the likes of Fulham or Bournemouth last season. I was surprised by what seemed like a lack of quality at the top of B2. Obviously watching City this season but also going to a few German games in October (including the Hamburg derby if I'm lucky) and be interesting to see if it confirms my view that this year's City could probably more than match most in B2.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    As you say, it's difficult to compare. My impression fwiw (very little!) after going to a couple of St.Pauli games last season, and watching the two B1/B2 relegation games on TV, is that any one of the teams I saw would have struggled against the likes of Fulham or Bournemouth last season. I.
    In fairness, most Championship sides struggled against Fulham and Bournemouth last season.

I don't think the lower half of Bundesliga 1 is as good as the top half of Championship..

Another goal for Glatzel yesterday in Hamburg's 2-0 victory at Nuremburg. That's four goals in six league games this season.

His overall record for Hamburg is now 31 goals in 46 games.

Another goal for Glatzel yesterday in Hamburg's 2-0 victory at Nuremburg. That's four goals in six league games this season.

His overall record for Hamburg is now 31 goals in 46 games.
    Am I wrong in thinking that you seem to be insinuating that RG would be the answer to our current goalscoring problem?

Can't remember you backing him when he was with us, in fact it his hard to remember you backing anyone who has played for us

As has been mentioned, it looks very much like he's found his level.