+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Robert Glatzel

Re: Robert Glatzel

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Am I wrong in thinking that you seem to be insinuating that RG would be the answer to our current goalscoring problem?
    Yes. You're wrong. Although I'd have Glatzel in the side ahead of Watters in a heartbeat.

Perhaps Bundesliga 2 is his level. There were 35,713 at yesterday's game and 43,943 at Hamburg's last home game. So not an insignificant level by any means.

We didnt play to his strengths. 😂😂😂

I can't imagine the German lower leagues being any weaker than ours, there's a good standard throughout the German leagues and some good players in their lower leagues, I'd imagine it to be pretty comparable to ours at least, although I don't know that for sure.

It would be interesting to see what system he's playing in. He's done well back home in Germany previously so they are obviously using a system that he better fits into. Not sure how he'd fair as a lone striker for us, but probably better than he did during the hoofball era.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    .... I'd have Glatzel in the side ahead of Watters in a heartbeat.
    Really? You should have said.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    I can't imagine the German lower leagues being any weaker than ours, there's a good standard throughout the German leagues and some good players in their lower leagues, I'd imagine it to be pretty comparable to ours at least, although I don't know that for sure.

It would be interesting to see what system he's playing in. He's done well back home in Germany previously so they are obviously using a system that he better fits into. Not sure how he'd fair as a lone striker for us, but probably better than he did during the hoofball era.
    I disagree.
    Apart from the obvious Bayern and a couple of teams who do "okay" in Europe, I'd say that the premier German league sides would be Championship level.

I disagree.
    Apart from the obvious Bayern and a couple of teams who do "okay" in Europe, I'd say that the premier German league sides would be Championship level.
    RB Leipzig, Leverkusen, Wolfsburg, Shalke, all below the top 6 in the Bundesliga at present. And you suggest they're no better than us or other championship teams?

Is a player like Timo Werner not good enough for us then?
    I'd take a Werner over anything we've got at present in a heartbeat!

The Bundesliga will always be dominated by Bayern, that goes without saying. Bayern have the financial clout that the others don't.

Those others still do quite well though regardless and the standard of football is better than you seem to think. I would say the German lower leagues are pretty strong too, probably as strong as ours easily. There are a lot of decent players plying their trade in the German lower leagues.

RB Leipzig, Leverkusen, Wolfsburg, Shalke, all below the top 6 in the Bundesliga at present. And you suggest they're no better than us or other championship teams?

Is a player like Timo Werner not good enough for us then?
    I'd take a Werner over anything we've got at present in a heartbeat!

The Bundesliga will always be dominated by Bayern, that goes without saying. Bayern have the financial clout that the others don't.

Those others still do quite well though regardless and the standard of football is better than you seem to think. I would say the German lower leagues are pretty strong too, probably as strong as ours easily. There are a lot of decent players plying their trade in the German lower leagues.
    I like this debate - but it's all about opinions, as there's no way to do a proper comparison.

I would say the second tier of German football is weaker than our second tier. I don't agree though that the Bundesliga below Bayern is comparable to the Championship.

Take Eintracht Frankfurt for instance. Finished 11th in the Bundesliga (and have started weakly this time) but won the Europa league, beating West Ham along the way.

I love debates like this too. I would suggest that Germany has the strongest 'pyramid' in european football, outside perhaps our own.

I am a big fan of German football and regularly read the 'kicker' website. It's a real pain that Bayern are so dominant now. Whilst Bayern have been the top team itt was usually a pretty open league until recently. It's a shame, as the ticket prices, terraces, ownership model etc have usually been cited as a reason to follow a German model. As Peter states above, Eintracht winning the Europa league shows it's a strong league below Bayern too.

Some massive clubs in both the 2.Bundesliga (five clubs with 50,000 capacity grounds) and 3.Bundesliga, with Kaiserslautern, Braunschweig and the mighty 1860 Munich.

For me, the Championship probably just shades it but it's very hard to assess these things, and I'm more interested in the clubs, history, culture of it all really.

Really recommend an annual magazine called the 'Kicker Sonderheft' if anyone is into German football, or wants to be. Helps if you can read a little German but it's a great magazine previewing all the leagues and clubs etc

I’m with Dave, I liked Glatzel and would have him back here in a heart beat. He would have put away most of, if not all of Watters clear cut chances this season.

Really? You should have said.
    I did.

Here’s a question for you: do you reckon Max Watters would score more goals than Robert Glatzel if the former was also playing in Bundesliga 2?

He wasn't good enough in the same way Watters isn't good enough

Neither of them were crap , that's not the arguement

They just ain't good enough

I've watched plenty of Bundesliga 2 over the last few years and the overall standard is very good. I would say it's on par with the championship only with better technical skills. The cut and thrust may not be quite the same but there are plenty of goals and there isn't a great deal between many of the clubs. I would suggest that both leagues are the best second tiers in world football.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    I've watched plenty of Bundesliga 2 over the last few years and the overall standard is very good. I would say it's on par with the championship only with better technical skills. The cut and thrust may not be quite the same but there are plenty of goals and there isn't a great deal between many of the clubs. I would suggest that both leagues are the best second tiers in world football.
    I think England, Germany and Spain stand out for sure as the top 3 European nations for football. All 3 have a crazy amount of leagues and tiers with clubs at grassroots level dotted literally everywhere.

By comparison, I'd say the other main nations such as France, Portugal, Holland etc have far less depth.

The Scandinavian leagues have fascinated me in more recent years.
    Clearly not the same level of quality, but football seems to have grown there massively over the last 40 or 50 years.
    Norway, Sweden and Denmark probably being a good bit stronger than Finland and Iceland, but all leagues with depth that seem to be growing all the time.

I've said for years that any club worth it's salt should have a small scouting network out in Scandinavia, it's an area that certainly turns up quite a few good players.

Plenty of people talking up the Championship in this thread and yet you just know that in a few weeks time, we’ll see the first “weak Championship this season” thread

I’d say from the relatively little I’ve seen of Bundesliga 2 that the Championship is the better league, but there’s not much in it, certainly not enough to explain away the difference in Glatzel’s goalscoring record in the two divisions. Glatzel is a technically good player, but, although the Championship is probably a more technical league these days than it was, his lack of success with us would indicate that physique and power still has a large part to play at this level.

In saying that, I would argue that Glatzel would do far better in this City side and as far as a comparison between him and Watters goes - I may stick up for the latter more than most on here, but it’s Glatzel every time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Plenty of people talking up the Championship in this thread and yet you just know that in a few weeks time, we’ll see the first “weak Championship this season” thread

I’d say from the relatively little I’ve seen of Bundesliga 2 that the Championship is the better league, but there’s not much in it, certainly not enough to explain away the difference in Glatzel’s goalscoring record in the two divisions. Glatzel is a technically good player, but, although the Championship is probably a more technical league these days than it was, his lack of success with us would indicate that physique and power still has a large part to play at this level.

In saying that, I would argue that Glatzel would do far better in this City side and as far as a comparison between him and Watters goes - I may stick up for the latter more than most on here, but it’s Glatzel every time for me.
    Glatzel technically good??. His 1st touch was poor (he was actually quite good at recovering it though) His ball striking wasnt great either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Glatzel technically good??. His 1st touch was poor (he was actually quite good at recovering it though) His ball striking wasnt great either.
    He didn't have a chance to shine in a technically decent side mind either.
    We wasted him up front, on his own, trying to stick balls down his throat from our defense!
    Hoofing it up to him was never going to be productive, I daresay he'd fair a lot better with the crosses and through-balls we're now starting to produce.

Am I wrong in thinking that you seem to be insinuating that RG would be the answer to our current goalscoring problem?

Can't remember you backing him when he was with us, in fact it his hard to remember you backing anyone who has played for us

As has been mentioned, it looks very much like he's found his level.
    Lol

Glatzel was the best thing since Gary Madine. Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Glatzel was the best thing since Gary Madine. Fact.
    Not Kieffer Moore?

Not Kieffer Moore?
    Moore beats Glatzel. Madine beats Gounongbe. Pilkington beats Madine. I think. If I’m playing the game I’ve just invented correctly, James Collins wouldn’t be enough to beat a Glatzel. A Paterson is a wild card.

Have you ever seen the episode of Friends where Chandler teaches Joey how to play ‘Cups’?

Moore beats Glatzel. Madine beats Gounongbe. Pilkington beats Madine. I think. If I’m playing the game I’ve just invented correctly, James Collins wouldn’t be enough to beat a Glatzel. A Paterson is a wild card.

Have you ever seen the episode of Friends where Chandler teaches Joey how to play ‘Cups’?
    Good attempt at a recovery

Sound logic, no issues here

Good attempt at a recovery

Another goal for Robert Glatzel on Friday evening in Hamburg's 3-2 victory at Holstein Kiel. Yet another header.

He's now scored 5 goals in 8 Bundesliga 2 appearances this season, and 32 goals in 48 appearances for Hamburg overall.

Friday's victory puts Hamburg second in the league behind Jamilu Collins' old club SC Paderborn 07.

The crowd for Hamburg's last home game, a 1-0 victory over Karlsruhe, was 45,623. It's difficult to draw comparisons between Bundesliga 2 and the Championship, but the second tier in Germany is certainly well supported.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Another goal for Robert Glatzel on Friday evening in Hamburg's 3-2 victory at Holstein Kiel. Yet another header.

He's now scored 5 goals in 8 Bundesliga 2 appearances this season, and 32 goals in 48 appearances for Hamburg overall.

Friday's victory puts Hamburg second in the league behind Jamilu Collins' old club SC Paderborn 07.

The crowd for Hamburg's last home game, a 1-0 victory over Karlsruhe, was 45,623. It's difficult to draw comparisons between Bundesliga 2 and the Championship, but the second tier in Germany is certainly well supported.
    Surely he's better than we have at the moment? Morison is playing a little more towards his strengths, although the attacking third is a massive concern in terms of chances created due to Morison playing with what seems like three holding players in midfield. Hopefully this new striker can make a difference, he's going to have to run his bollocks off though.