Some cracking images

Re: 1976 Drought

Told dad to stay home ..

https://images.app.goo.gl/MGf3oUpRkKr7tPzz6

And mum

https://images.app.goo.gl/z8Xzi2iKAFfb5BCBA

Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 11-08-22 at 18:45. Reason: spelling

On June the 1st 1976 I was caught in a snowdrift on The North Yorkshire Moors between RAF Fylingdales and Pickering, just saying like!

Not as hot as now, but more prolonged. The weather broke on our wedding day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Not as hot as now, but more prolonged. The weather broke on our wedding day.
    Oh dear, but that went down well ..

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    On June the 1st 1976 I was caught in a snowdrift on The North Yorkshire Moors between RAF Fylingdales and Pickering, just saying like!
    Nah - 1975 mate

was a lot more localised apparently
    IMG_20220811_224645.jpg
    this year will definitely be a lot warmer than 1976 in terms of the climate.
    also last winter has to be the mildest I can ever remember - not a flake of snow and I think I only had to scrape ice from my car about twice.
    what the heck is going on in Antarctica this year?!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    what the heck is going on in Antarctica this year?!
    Tui are selling sun holidays there next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Tui are selling sun holidays there next year.
    but planning to cancel the flights less than 24 hours before they fly its just the TUI way it seems

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Oh dear, but that went down well ..
    Just after all the photos ! Lucky us ! It was also a 3o’clock kick off !

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Nah - 1975 mate
    Deffo 1976. I was on a contract from mid February 1975 in Whitby which ended on 1st of June 1976 and I was motoring home to Cardiff, never forget it!

June 1976 changed my life. Decided to hitch-hike to see my brother in Germany and I have never been abroad before.
    This was before the M25 was built and having got to New Cross around pub closing time I was stupidly still trying to find a lift to Dover.
    I was attacked by two guys, one of whom picked up a nearby broken bottle and shoved it in my face. Fortunately, I quickly lifted my hand to guard my face and ended up with a severed vein and three severed finger tendons. Some parts of the bottle also caught the top of my head, my other hand and my chin.
    They had pushed me into an alley and I could feel myself losing consciousness, which although a very pleasant feeling, would have resulted in my death and blood was shooting out of my hand in proectile fashion. I collected myself and staggered to the road where someone called an ambulance
    I woke up in Greenwich hospital the following day with my face full of bruises, with a few minor cuts on my physog and my hand in plaster. I spent three days in hospital, walked to the nearby A2 and carried on hitching with my arm in a sling and with my face looking a mess.
    A German couple in a Mercedes stopped and took me all the way to my the centre of my town where my brother lived. Peering into the closed police station a police car drew up to me - and pistol-packing policeman stopped and gave me a lift to my brother's house. I spent the whole of June getting fitter and running in the hot sun - and after meeting so many wonderful local people I decided to come home and learn their language.
    By the way, despite losing a bit of my knuckle and and having the bottle-shaped scar on my hand, the nylon used to rejoin the tendons is still fully functional. Had my reactions been a split-second later my face would have got the brunt of it.
    I ended up living in that town for a while and still have close connections to it.
    That June 1976 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    June 1976 changed my life. Decided to hitch-hike to see my brother in Germany and I have never been abroad before.
    This was before the M25 was built and having got to New Cross around pub closing time I was stupidly still trying to find a lift to Dover.
    I was attacked by two guys, one of whom picked up a nearby broken bottle and shoved it in my face. Fortunately, I quickly lifted my hand to guard my face and ended up with a severed vein and three severed finger tendons. Some parts of the bottle also caught the top of my head, my other hand and my chin.
    They had pushed me into an alley and I could feel myself losing consciousness, which although a very pleasant feeling, would have resulted in my death and blood was shooting out of my hand in proectile fashion. I collected myself and staggered to the road where someone called an ambulance
    I woke up in Greenwich hospital the following day with my face full of bruises, with a few minor cuts on my physog and my hand in plaster. I spent three days in hospital, walked to the nearby A2 and carried on hitching with my arm in a sling and with my face looking a mess.
    A German couple in a Mercedes stopped and took me all the way to my the centre of my town where my brother lived. Peering into the closed police station a police car drew up to me - and pistol-packing policeman stopped and gave me a lift to my brother's house. I spent the whole of June getting fitter and running in the hot sun - and after meeting so many wonderful local people I decided to come home and learn their language.
    By the way, despite losing a bit of my knuckle and and having the bottle-shaped scar on my hand, the nylon used to rejoin the tendons is still fully functional. Had my reactions been a split-second later my face would have got the brunt of it.
    I ended up living in that town for a while and still have close connections to it.
    That June 1976 for me.
    That is a proper story!

That June 1976 for me.
    Great story

International

That June 1976 for me.

Wow well done on the quick reactions, good job it didn't happen now and in Cardiff, ambulances in Wales take 24 hours to arrive and then they put you in a queue outside the hospital, you'd have died for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    Deffo 1976. I was on a contract from mid February 1975 in Whitby which ended on 1st of June 1976 and I was motoring home to Cardiff, never forget it!
    😂 okay fair enough - lucky we didn’t have a green agenda back then.😂

�� okay fair enough - lucky we didn’t have a green agenda back then.��
    if we'd had a proper green agenda then we might not be facing such a potential disaster today

That June 1976 for me.

That's a hell of a story. New Cross is horrible to this day.

1976 for me was nothing so dramatic, thankfully! Revising for my 'O' levels on the beach and listening to Toots and the Maytals.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    if we'd had a proper green agenda then we might not be facing such a potential disaster today
    I doubt it RJK….temps been rising for a couple of hundred years, there was a time when the rivers would freeze over.

I doubt it RJK….temps been rising for a couple of hundred years, there was a time when the rivers would freeze over.
    atmospheric carbon was around 330 ppm in 1976, today it's about 420 ppm I think. that is a significant change.

That June 1976 for me.
    tl;dr do you have a Twitter version?