+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cadiff city fan threatened with assault after challenging homophobic abuse

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cadiff city fan threatened with assault after challenging homophobic abuse

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    No, the thread has moved on to the rights and wrongs of reporting it, the consequences thereof, and whether there are other scenarios that make people feel unwelcome in the ground.

I asked what peoples thoughts on it were.
    Only because that's the direction you decided to take it. Organ linked to a previous thread on this. I'm not being awkward here, it's just that if we dilute the homophobic element it just gets lost and that's the part that sparked this whole 'discussion' (actually it was the WOL piece and Ceneydd to be fair).

I didn't particularly want to get involved in this thread and tried hard to stay away from it and Matt got both barrels. The reason is, that if our moderator is the equivalent of a steward, then they weren't helping. That was my point. This is, after all, a public space and stuff is picked up in search engines so there's a direct link back to anyone on here posting comments and 'representing' the fan base. People research this sh*t. It's not a good look.

This also feeds into a exactly the type of problem we're seeing, and that is, when people do say something, they're made to feel bad by some people. This is what happens in real life. This is real life. It's happened in this thread. We're made to feel guilty for spoiling the fun of people who are spoiling our fun and we either shut up or take a kicking.

Re: Cadiff city fan threatened with assault after challenging homophobic abuse

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Only because that's the direction you decided to take it. Organ linked to a previous thread on this. I'm not being awkward here, it's just that if we dilute the homophobic element it just gets lost and that's the part that sparked this whole 'discussion' (actually it was the WOL piece and Ceneydd to be fair).

I didn't particularly want to get involved in this thread and tried hard to stay away from it and Matt got both barrels. The reason is, that if our moderator is the equivalent of a steward, then they weren't helping. That was my point. This is, after all, a public space and stuff is picked up in search engines so there's a direct link back to anyone on here posting comments and 'representing' the fan base. People research this sh*t. It's not a good look.

This also feeds into a exactly the type of problem we're seeing, and that is, when people do say something, they're made to feel bad by some people. This is what happens in real life. This is real life. It's happened in this thread. We're made to feel guilty for spoiling the fun of people who are spoiling our fun and we either shut up or take a kicking.
    People can take the threads where they like.

Homophobia is a repulsive attitude, as is hating someone for where they are from.

I guess the point in understanding all this, is that when someone uses the term faggot at a non gay player, it may be repulsive, he may be an arse, and he should expect to be called out on it, but it is one example of that, and we have over examples of bigotry that people in this thread tolerate, whilst rightly condoning other types.

I think to explore these kinds of issues, what is and isnt abuse, what it says about fans, the rights and wrongs of calling it out etc, whilst also condemning homophobia is a reasonable thing.

It was probably only 10 years ago and I remember we played Brighton at home one evening (they had a horrific fluorescent green and black top on) and the Canton End sang a lot of "does your boyfriend know you're here" type chants to much laughter etc. Times have changed since then, I don't know whether we need to react the way this thread has discussed to every single instance when 10 years ago mass chanting was common and when we still mass chant other forms of discriminatory songs.

It's an interesting topic.