+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cadiff city fan threatened with assault after challenging homophobic abuse

Re: Cadiff city fan threatened with assault after challenging homophobic abuse

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Get off the pity pot mate....you don't have to post here if it upsets you that much.
    This is a strange response from someone who's avatar is promoting a charity, and I quote, from the Register of Charities:

WILLOWS CENTRE TROEDYRHIW

The Willows Centre Troedyrhiw exists to support social, educational and recreational activites for all community members in Troedyrhiw and surrounding areas. The Centre aims to promote and actively encourage equality for all community members in order to fulfil their potential as empowered individuals and as members of groups.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I cannot ever recollect using the word faggot in anger, or any other slur. Cennydd was right to stand up to him, although that is a brave thing to do, and I'm not convinced these things do make the world a more harmonious place, but it was still the right thing to do.

Genuinely, what are peoples thoughts on calling out and pinpointing those singing songs such as 'always shit on the English side of the bridge' or the '**** the union jack' part of the viva Gareth Bale song when Wales at CCS?

It's certainly comes under discriminatory and offensive

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/club...afety-security
    I'm all in favor of speaking about against racism, sexism and inappropriate language. But pinpointing? Does this mean telling tales to the stewards? I'm not in favor of that. I very much doubt the stewards are either. Singling people out of a large group is a dangerous game. Someone could get more than their feelings hurt. I'm not in favor of that, but it's just a fact of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    This is a strange response from someone who's avatar is promoting a charity, and I quote, from the Register of Charities:

The Willows Centre Troedyrhiw exists to support social, educational and recreational activites for all community members in Troedyrhiw and surrounding areas. The Centre aims to promote and actively encourage equality for all community members in order to fulfil their potential as empowered individuals and as members of groups.
    Zzzzz - a boring anorak

I got news for you Underhill I'm afraid it haven't....and we seen an example of a couple of lads on the touch line at Chelsea v Spurs today.
    If grown ups want to meet up and batter the **** out of each other in the name of football then let them carry on. Homophobic, sexist or racist abuse should always be called out and stamped out

I cannot ever recollect using the word faggot in anger, or any other slur. Cennydd was right to stand up to him, although that is a brave thing to do, and I'm not convinced these things do make the world a more harmonious place, but it was still the right thing to do.

Genuinely, what are peoples thoughts on calling out and pinpointing those singing songs such as 'always shit on the English side of the bridge' or the '**** the union jack' part of the viva Gareth Bale song when Wales at CCS?

The anti-English stuff has been a public order offence for the past 24 years, and has been debated here many times. Here's one instance: https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...=1#post5042180

That's the type of racism which the club, its officials, coppers on duty and most fans are prepared to tolerate year in, year out.

I wish someone would empower our strikers.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    If grown ups want to meet up and batter the **** out of each other in the name of football then let them carry on. Homophobic, sexist or racist abuse should always be called out and stamped out
    I agree but where does it stop are you gonna start calling out lads that are coked up or even vaping in the ground because if that starts happening there will be a lot more empty seats than there were on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    The anti-English stuff has been a public order offence for the past 24 years, and has been debated here many times. Here's one instance: https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...=1#post5042180

That's the type of racism which the club, its officials, coppers on duty and most fans are prepared to tolerate year in, year out.
    Absolutely. I think that's the thing. This is considered more acceptable than one individual using a gay slur at someone who isn't gay. That's not right, it's not a good word whether said in malice or jest, I just think theres a bit of hypocrisy.

It's worse with Wales atm mind.

I agree but where does it stop are you gonna start calling out lads that are coked up or even vaping in the ground because if that starts happening there will be a lot more empty seats than there were on Saturday.
    I’d imagine it stops with calling out homophobic, racist or sexist abuse. How you’ve got to “but won’t somebody think of the potential consequences for the cokeheads and vapers” from this case is pretty mental

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I’d imagine it stops with calling out homophobic, racist or sexist abuse. How you’ve got to “but won’t somebody think of the potential consequences for the cokeheads and vapers” from this case is pretty mental
    Although I think it's fair to ask 'where does it end', this did make me laugh.

Won't someone think of the cokeheads and vapers!?

To even mention Coke heads and vapers in the context is ridiculous

I don’t think anyone could say that the English have historically been a persecuted minority, who (rightly) tend to be the ones protected in these kind of cases, and I can’t really remember any instances of gay fans bringing inflatable women to the game with them to goad the heterosexuals into a reaction like the English do with their sheep.

And in terms of the Bale song, whether we like/recognize it or not the Union Jack is a flag that technically represents us as far as I see it we can insult it all we want

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    To even mention Coke heads and vapers in the context is ridiculous
    Not really - it’s all illegal in the eyes of the moral ethics committee.

I don’t think anyone could say that the English have historically been a persecuted minority, who (rightly) tend to be the ones protected in these kind of cases, and I can’t really remember any instances of gay fans bringing inflatable women to the game with them to goad the heterosexuals into a reaction like the English do with their sheep.

And in terms of the Bale song, whether we like/recognize it or not the Union Jack is a flag that technically represents us as far as I see it we can insult it all we want
    So being a bigoted c**t is okay even if it makes people feel uncomfortable, depending on the people involved? So there is the right kind and the wrong kind of abusive behaviour?

I think this is the kind of double standards I mean. I know a few English people who live in Cardiff and embrace the cultural aspects the city offers but avoid Cardiff City like the plague, largely because of attitudes like this.

I'm not really saying we should all be shopping people in for everything said, thats not a pleasant world to live in, but I do think there is a lot of hypocrisy

I think you'll find the opposite would be true.

So being a bigoted c**t is okay even if it makes people feel uncomfortable, depending on the people involved? So there is the right kind and the wrong kind of abusive behaviour?

I think this is the kind of double standards I mean. I know a few English people who live in Cardiff and embrace the cultural aspects the city offers but avoid Cardiff City like the plague, largely because of attitudes like this.

I'm not really saying we should all be shopping people in for everything said, thats not a pleasant world to live in, but I do think there is a lot of hypocrisy
    I think you're hijacking a thread about homophobia.

I think you're hijacking a thread about homophobia.
    No, the thread has moved on to the rights and wrongs of reporting it, the consequences thereof, and whether there are other scenarios that make people feel unwelcome in the ground.

I asked what peoples thoughts on it were.

I often bring a few of my girls football team up, they all know " what goes on at football, stays at football ", all the girls are English, I have explained its just football banter, I know one of them takes it to heart and it does " sour " her day at the football ( her mum has told me ) but thats just football, its improved a lot over the years, but its still edgy at times and I wouldn't want it too sterile

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Blue Matt the CCMB kangaroo court hereby sentences you to 2 years imprisonment and a lifetime ban from ever moderating a football forum again.
    What Again ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Please keep posting. I, for one, value your input.

The problem is, as always, a vocal minority with unfathomable views make people with a variety of reasonable and alternative opinions turn away from debate. Effectively, it's a version of message board Gresham's Law.
    Anyone who disagrees with you has "Unfathomable views" but your views are reasonable? Lol
    You once stated on here that you are FOR open borders. I.E. No borders on the planet what so ever. Very reasonable view that is...

You sound like a brainwashed citizen of cultural marxism. Sometimes the middle class can be so painful to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I often bring a few of my girls football team up, they all know " what goes on at football, stays at football ", all the girls are English, I have explained its just football banter, I know one of them takes it to heart and it does " sour " her day at the football ( her mum has told me ) but thats just football, its improved a lot over the years, but its still edgy at times and I wouldn't want it too sterile
    I agree, I don't want it to be sterile. I think these things can be complex and nuanced issues, and I suppose that's my point.

I know that some people are intimidated by certain chants and behaviour that are discriminatory and are against the ground regulations but some people have defended, whilst objecting (rightly) to the homophobic slur.

I don't know what the answer is really. Probably that we call it out more, understand things more and maybe dont label everything as a hate crime when it may not be. It may just be arsehole behaviour.

We are all inconsistent and thats part of what makes us human I guess.

No, the thread has moved on to the rights and wrongs of reporting it, the consequences thereof, and whether there are other scenarios that make people feel unwelcome in the ground.

I asked what peoples thoughts on it were.
    Only because that's the direction you decided to take it. Organ linked to a previous thread on this. I'm not being awkward here, it's just that if we dilute the homophobic element it just gets lost and that's the part that sparked this whole 'discussion' (actually it was the WOL piece and Ceneydd to be fair).

I didn't particularly want to get involved in this thread and tried hard to stay away from it and Matt got both barrels. The reason is, that if our moderator is the equivalent of a steward, then they weren't helping. That was my point. This is, after all, a public space and stuff is picked up in search engines so there's a direct link back to anyone on here posting comments and 'representing' the fan base. People research this sh*t. It's not a good look.

This also feeds into a exactly the type of problem we're seeing, and that is, when people do say something, they're made to feel bad by some people. This is what happens in real life. This is real life. It's happened in this thread. We're made to feel guilty for spoiling the fun of people who are spoiling our fun and we either shut up or take a kicking.

Only because that's the direction you decided to take it. Organ linked to a previous thread on this. I'm not being awkward here, it's just that if we dilute the homophobic element it just gets lost and that's the part that sparked this whole 'discussion' (actually it was the WOL piece and Ceneydd to be fair).

I didn't particularly want to get involved in this thread and tried hard to stay away from it and Matt got both barrels. The reason is, that if our moderator is the equivalent of a steward, then they weren't helping. That was my point. This is, after all, a public space and stuff is picked up in search engines so there's a direct link back to anyone on here posting comments and 'representing' the fan base. People research this sh*t. It's not a good look.

This also feeds into a exactly the type of problem we're seeing, and that is, when people do say something, they're made to feel bad by some people. This is what happens in real life. This is real life. It's happened in this thread. We're made to feel guilty for spoiling the fun of people who are spoiling our fun and we either shut up or take a kicking.
    People can take the threads where they like.

Homophobia is a repulsive attitude, as is hating someone for where they are from.

I guess the point in understanding all this, is that when someone uses the term faggot at a non gay player, it may be repulsive, he may be an arse, and he should expect to be called out on it, but it is one example of that, and we have over examples of bigotry that people in this thread tolerate, whilst rightly condoning other types.

I think to explore these kinds of issues, what is and isnt abuse, what it says about fans, the rights and wrongs of calling it out etc, whilst also condemning homophobia is a reasonable thing.

It was probably only 10 years ago and I remember we played Brighton at home one evening (they had a horrific fluorescent green and black top on) and the Canton End sang a lot of "does your boyfriend know you're here" type chants to much laughter etc. Times have changed since then, I don't know whether we need to react the way this thread has discussed to every single instance when 10 years ago mass chanting was common and when we still mass chant other forms of discriminatory songs.

It's an interesting topic.

Homosexuals have never created institutions that have endeavoured to exploit and bury other cultures.

The rainbow flag represents pride in defiance against bigotry and hate.

The union jack flag represents pride in violent, military dominance.

Comparing the two is pretty twisted.