+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to Wrexham

Welcome to Wrexham

Is this on TV over there? I've seen posters at bus stops in NYC and there's an ad on a national TV network. Complete with a bloke with a gog accent

Re: Welcome to Wrexham

Be interesting to see who gets the final say on what makes the cut. These football documentaries are okay but heavily edited to make certain people into the good guys. (Spurs All or Nothing was painfully obvious at times).
    Sunderland Til I Die on the other hand was pretty unbiased and made everyone look incompetent and showed the club as a train wreck.

Off topic but I’ve seen Wrexham have submitted plans for a new (very ugly imo) stand and will take capacity to just over 16000. If they manage to get promoted to League 2 I can see it only taking a few years to reach League 1 with their financial advantage. Half the teams get less than 5000 crowds and Wrexham would definitely be close to selling out most games.

Will be on disney plus very soon i think

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Will be on disney plus very soon i think
    I think the ad I saw says it will be streamed on Hulu on 24th August

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Be interesting to see who gets the final say on what makes the cut. These football documentaries are okay but heavily edited to make certain people into the good guys. (Spurs All or Nothing was painfully obvious at times).
    Sunderland Til I Die on the other hand was pretty unbiased and made everyone look incompetent and showed the club as a train wreck.

Off topic but I’ve seen Wrexham have submitted plans for a new (very ugly imo) stand and will take capacity to just over 16000. If they manage to get promoted to League 2 I can see it only taking a few years to reach League 1 with their financial advantage. Half the teams get less than 5000 crowds and Wrexham would definitely be close to selling out most games.
    Sunderland Til I Die is the best one by far, the others are almost all a waste of time

Selling out most games in a 16k stadium? I doubt that, they've rarely troubled 10k. They're a big club for non-league but the last time they were in the 3rd tier they weren't even getting 5k

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Sunderland Til I Die is the best one by far, the others are almost all a waste of time

Selling out most games in a 16k stadium? I doubt that, they've rarely troubled 10k. They're a big club for non-league but the last time they were in the 3rd tier they weren't even getting 5k
    Not selling out but close to, 13k/14k average in League 2 I'd guess. They averaged 9k last season and sold out their season tickets this season with ease. Home tickets were sold out apparently for their first home game this season. With promotion I could see their attendances going up by 3 or 4 thousand. The hype around the club is unreal at the moment.

I don't think you can use historical crowds to base an estimate off how they'll do in the future. Everything about the club has changed since the Hollywood duo came in.

what is the racecourse capacity now then ? ? ?

always remember them 2 games in the early 90's ( 93 ? ? within a few days of each other, league and welsh cup ) the Saturday we took loads, we went back up midweek and not so many, but a great few days of football that was

York City manager states Wrexham are paying a player £6,000 per week

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/20...-6-000-a-week/

I remember one of those Wrexham games. There were loads of our guys in white full body overalls.

First Team

Never liked Wrexham as we had the windows of our minibus smashed up there which meant a long cold trip home and that lager of theirs was horrible.

Putting that to one side I wonder what happens when the cameras have gone and two investors, with no real connection to the town, realise that they have a money pit on their hands.

I appreciate that they are both making the right noises and I have no inside knowledge to suggest that they are nothing but true to their word but how many times have new owners proved to not be as enthusiastic as was first portrayed?

To my cynical mind it has all the hallmarks of careful of what you wish for.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Never liked Wrexham as we had the windows of our minibus smashed up there which meant a long cold trip home and that lager of theirs was horrible.

Putting that to one side I wonder what happens when the cameras have gone and two investors, with no real connection to the town, realise that they have a money pit on their hands.

I appreciate that they are both making the right noises and I have no inside knowledge to suggest that they are nothing but true to their word but how many times have new owners proved to not be as enthusiastic as was first portrayed?

people have said it just looks like the idea of a netflix TV series or 2 right from the start

if they put things in place that are sustainable, when they leave wrexham could have a decent setup and be back in the league, of course the next step to push on takes mega money and they will not be blowing that, but I guess to wrexham fans being back In the league and breaking even will be a massive improvement on where they were

Hmmmm...

That sounds very familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Hmmmm...

That sounds very familiar.
    Sam would never tuck us up

He's spending loads of money on us

We are his family

They said themselves they had the rights to the documentary series sold before they even decided what club they were buying.

two episodes out

Any good?

I enjoyed it

Loads of interest before release and now all eyes are on fecking rangers and boring managers. I wish we had those two behind us instead of Tan the best disappearing man.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Loads of interest before release and now all eyes are on fecking rangers and boring managers. I wish we had those two behind us instead of Tan the best disappearing man.
    Not for me, as headline grabbing as it is. I’d imagine they’re not wealthy enough for where we are and also the nagging feeling that it’s all going to end in tears.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Not for me, as headline grabbing as it is. I’d imagine they’re not wealthy enough for where we are and also the nagging feeling that it’s all going to end in tears.
    I get you . it's a small community,but they at least want to do something for the town which i think is wonderful

What, two Hollywood film stars with restricted unknown finances, who until very recently knew absolutely nothing about football in the UK. Isn't that what you have been moaning about here for ages ?

I get you . it's a small community,but they at least want to do something for the town which i think is wonderful
    It is a good time to be a Wrexham fan and football is all about ‘now’, not last season or ‘he’s not all that clever at the moment but he’s one for the future’. I do hope it works out well for them and they make the difficult step up (its a bugger of a league to get out of) but if they do it, it’ll be interesting to see the owner’s next move.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It is a good time to be a Wrexham fan and football is all about ‘now’, not last season or ‘he’s not all that clever at the moment but he’s one for the future’. I do hope it works out well for them and they make the difficult step up (its a bugger of a league to get out of) but if they do it, it’ll be interesting to see the owner’s next move.
    It’s the perfect drama/script for the owners whatever the outcome now. I enjoyed watching the Robbie Savage and Macclesfield story. I love this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    What, two Hollywood film stars with restricted unknown finances, who until very recently knew absolutely nothing about football in the UK. Isn't that what you have been moaning about here for ages ?
    Ok bud ..i bow down to Tan and his football knowledge. jesus christ

I'm intrigued by it. Ryan Reynolds comes across as a decent bloke to be fair.
    I don't think these guys are just in it to take the piss.
    I do get the impression from the clips I've seen that Reynolds does take the whole thing pretty seriously and is at least somewhat emotionally invested.
    I'm intrigued to see how the next few years pan out for Wrexham. I'm sure they'll openly admit that they have no clue about running a football club. Hopefully they surround themselves with the right people and not any of the many leeches out there.
    Who knows, Wrexham might be a future fixture. It's more interesting than zooport.