+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type 2 Diabetes

Type 2 Diabetes

So sadly this not so lovely disease has sprung upon me, must have been uncontrolled for sometime as my levels came back as 105 instead of the recommended 40.

Im about 4 stone overweight so that will be the first thing to change.

Anyone care to share their story or provide hints/tips.

Thanks

Matt

Re: Type 2 Diabetes

Quote Originally Posted by @CCFCProgrammes View Post
    So sadly this not so lovely disease has sprung upon me, must have been uncontrolled for sometime as my levels came back as 105 instead of the recommended 40.

Im about 4 stone overweight so that will be the first thing to change.

Anyone care to share their story or provide hints/tips.

Thanks

Matt
    I have type 2 diabetes

Poor diet for many years and carrying a lot of timber I am afraid .

I have lost nearly a stone of the 3 it was suggested I lose .

I was told by my nurse that by cutting out crap food and bread , rice , pasta and potatoes your blood sugar will reduce and your weight will drop too.

Exercise is part of it but it's the healthy eating that is the main plan of attack .

I take metformin, 3 x 500 mg , daily , I would imagine you need to be started on that to get on top of things

Diabetes UK are the best online support group out there and you can phone them for advice

I assume you are having eye tests ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I have type 2 diabetes

Poor diet for many years and carrying a lot of timber I am afraid .

I have lost nearly a stone of the 3 it was suggested I lose .

I was told by my nurse that by cutting out crap food and bread , rice , pasta and potatoes your blood sugar will reduce and your weight will drop too.

Exercise is part of it but it's the healthy eating that is the main plan of attack .

I take metformin, 3 x 500 mg , daily , I would imagine you need to be started on that to get on top of things

Diabetes UK are the best online support group out there and you can phone them for advice

I assume you are having eye tests ?
    Matt, I know a few people who have come down with type 2 and I have a son with type 1. The advice from Sludge is sound; make sure you get all your check ups done and sort out your diet and lifestyle. The people that I know did this and they got on top if it in a remarkably short space of time. Fear not, just sort it out.

my mum have lived with it since I was born ( by all accounts being pregnant can bring it on )

She has to watch her weight ( you have mentioned that ) and watch what she eats, last weekend she came down here and we went to Tesco's ( I take her to all the best places ) she was so preoccupied with not slowing us down, she practically ran around the isles ( which rushed the hell out of us ) then had a bit of turn and had to sit down and eat some smarties to bring her levels back up, they levelled and all was fine

its very manageable with the right food and you will learn what your body needs

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    my mum have lived with it since I was born ( by all accounts being pregnant can bring it on )

She has to watch her weight ( you have mentioned that ) and watch what she eats, last weekend she came down here and we went to Tesco's ( I take her to all the best places ) she was so preoccupied with not slowing us down, she practically ran around the isles ( which rushed the hell out of us ) then had a bit of turn and had to sit down and eat some smarties to bring her levels back up, they levelled and all was fine

its very manageable with the right food and you will learn what your body needs
    Does she inject ?

I have a mate who was diagnosed with type 2. He changed his diet and lifestyle and has kept it at bay ever since. I don't think he takes any meds. I have another friend who developed chronic gout, he did the same.

I have it too

Since about 2006. Less active since stroke in '98 so piled on the pounds.
    Xut out sugary stuff, eat regular healthy meals. Haven't reversed it, but got it controlled.
    \\\\\\good luck mate.

I suspect I might have it too. What kind of stuff is best to eat ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Balanced diet, easy on the carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Balanced diet, easy on the carbs.
    Thinking of getting a dietician to get me started.

Does she inject ?
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    yes
    She's type 1 ?

I wouldn't mess about . If you think you may have diabetes you need a blood test .

Thinking of getting a dietician to get me started.
    See your doctor first to check on your blood levels

Go from there

My daughter is type 1 got it at 14 years old. She's had a hard time with it sad to say but she tries to keep her head up.
    If you think you are type 2 .Don't mess about. Follow good advice

See your doctor first to check on your blood levels

Go from there
    Yeah I’ll get it checked asap. Have an mot most years but not been for a few years. My diet is terrible and very high in sugar and carbs.

I’ll do some research on what type of thing to eat etc

It can be controlled by following a low carb diet. Unfortunately any reference to “diet” immediately has negative connotations. However a low carb diet of 100g of carbs per day is easily achievable but it needs effort i.e. food has to be weighed and a record kept, at least in the early days until you become familiar with portion sizes. There is no need to completely cut out all bread, rice, pasta and potatoes – this is where the weighing comes in and is critical. Obviously you need to know the % carb content of everything you eat in order to calculate the actual weight of carbs consumed. I made an alphabetical list of all the foods we usually have, together with the carb contents.

I believe there has to be some genetic/metabolic influence as well. For example my Hb1Ac reading was 42 and my wife's 48. We were both overweight so we stuck to a low carb diet (100g/day) for 6 months. At the end of the 6 months her Hb1Ac level had come down to 42 and mine had not changed at all (42)!

Yeah I’ll get it checked asap. Have an mot most years but not been for a few years. My diet is terrible and very high in sugar and carbs.

I’ll do some research on what type of thing to eat etc
    https://www.diabetes.org.uk/

Have a look around this site mate

But first thing to do is get your bloods checked

If you have it , you can sort it out

If you don't have it .....you will know what to do to avoid it

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    It can be controlled by following a low carb diet. Unfortunately any reference to “diet” immediately has negative connotations. However a low carb diet of 100g of carbs per day is easily achievable but it needs effort i.e. food has to be weighed and a record kept, at least in the early days until you become familiar with portion sizes. There is no need to completely cut out all bread, rice, pasta and potatoes – this is where the weighing comes in and is critical. Obviously you need to know the % carb content of everything you eat in order to calculate the actual weight of carbs consumed. I made an alphabetical list of all the foods we usually have, together with the carb contents.

I believe there has to be some genetic/metabolic influence as well. For example my Hb1Ac reading was 42 and my wife's 48. We were both overweight so we stuck to a low carb diet (100g/day) for 6 months. At the end of the 6 months her Hb1Ac level had come down to 42 and mine had not changed at all (42)!
    That suggests you were not in the diabetic range

If you had been the doctors would have given you medication

But you got things sorted by improving your diet

Some people do that and yet their sugar levels are still high ......so they need medication

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    My daughter is type 1 got it at 14 years old. She's had a hard time with it sad to say but she tries to keep her head up.
    If you think you are type 2 .Don't mess about. Follow good advice
    I am sorry to hear that 😞

That suggests you were not in the diabetic range

If you had been the doctors would have given you medication

But you got things sorted by improving your diet

Some people do that and yet their sugar levels are still high ......so they need medication
    Yes, I was described as being "pre-diabetic" whereas my wife was at the tipping point and was prescribed metformin. She felt ill after the first dose (diarrhoea and stomach pains) hence she went onto the low carb diet so as to avoid having to take medication. I did the same because (a) to encourage her and (b) she does all the cooking!

I am sorry to hear that 😞
    it happens.. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    it happens.. thanks
    It does but its difficult for a kid

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Yes, I was described as being "pre-diabetic" whereas my wife was at the tipping point and was prescribed metformin. She felt ill after the first dose (diarrhoea and stomach pains) hence she went onto the low carb diet so as to avoid having to take medication. I did the same because (a) to encourage her and (b) she does all the cooking!
    Metformin slow release tablets don't have the side effects your wife experienced . It's great you could get your levels down but mine were far too high and I have to be on medication . It doesn't bother me , there are far worse conditions out there to have like cancer etc

Metformin slow release tablets don't have the side effects your wife experienced . It's great you could get your levels down but mine were far too high and I have to be on medication . It doesn't bother me , there are far worse conditions out there to have like cancer etc
    What was your level out of interest?