Just been listening to the Radio Five phone in about it and I can see both sides of the argument as to whether the managers going at it like that is good for the game or not. If I’d been a Chelsea player yesterday watching my manager performing like he did throughout the ninety minutes, my attitude would have been the same as it was when I was watching on my sofa at home as a pensioner - I’d have found it funny because I couldn’t get this image of John Cleese/Basil Fawlty out of my mind, I just couldn’t take him seriously once that image became lodged in my mind.

That probably explains why I’d have never have made a professional footballer even if I had the requisite talent.

Listening to the contrasting views on the phone in, Whitts came into my mind. He was an exceptional footballer not just because he was an exceptional footballer. He was also exceptional because he said he didn’t celebrate when he scored goals because he found it embarrassing. There was also the oft repeated rumour that he did not like football - I reckon that was probably untrue, but I’m sure there are a small minority of players out there who don’t.

However, increasingly as he got older Whitts would chop down opponents who were going past him and some of his fouls were so bad that they might have deserved a straight red. So, even someone like Whitts, who it seems to me recognised many of the game’s absurdities, knew what he had to do in situations where he needed to “take one for the team”. I don’t like it when that term is used in a game I’m watching or listening to as a neutral and it annoys me when the term “good foul” is used to describe a hack or grab of the shirt to stop a counter attack, but then you think of the reaction a player would get from their manager and team mates if they just let the other player run past then in such circumstances.

It’s ingrained in the game that professionals have to behave a certain way and I’m sure both managers yesterday would have the backing and admiration of their teams for behaving like they did - the down side is that there’ll be a small number of dads who manage their kids under tens teams who’ll be thinking they’ll do a Conte or Tuchel next weekend.