+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Well Said Steve Morison

Re: Well Said Steve Morison

People are saying that Morison wasn't going down the stereotypical football manager route with his reply. I would disagree. A bit harsh to call his reply stereotypical, but i would say that he acted in a way that most managers would if they were presented with the same question. What i didn't like was him accusing the journalist of being negative, that's such a conversation stopper, it's an accusation that changes the conversation and it put the journalist in a defensive position, like he had done something wrong, and he hadn't.

Maybe Morison should explain himself better before getting so defensive. He made a great point about a striker getting in good positions, but ****ed it up when he got irate, and it wasn't a good irate either, it was like he was arguing with his teenage daughter about her being ungrateful and spoiling a family day out.

Nothing wrong with him backing his players, but he has to realise that he will face questions he doesn't particularly like, and as a manager, he has to articulate himself in a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    People are saying that Morison wasn't going down the stereotypical football manager route with his reply. I would disagree. A bit harsh to call his reply stereotypical, but i would say that he acted in a way that most managers would if they were presented with the same question. What i didn't like was him accusing the journalist of being negative, that's such a conversation stopper, it's an accusation that changes the conversation and it put the journalist in a defensive position, like he had done something wrong, and he hadn't.

Maybe Morison should explain himself better before getting so defensive. He made a great point about a striker getting in good positions, but ****ed it up when he got irate, and it wasn't a good irate either, it was like he was arguing with his teenage daughter about her being ungrateful and spoiling a family day out.

Nothing wrong with him backing his players, but he has to realise that he will face questions he doesn't particularly like, and as a manager, he has to articulate himself in a better way.
    Great description

I suppose it's a big improvement from "a.n.other played like twat and well f*cked it up for me" so he's going down the right route and I do wonder whether there's any place in the modern game for 'honesty' anymore and that stereotypical replies are what we should expect. It's happened in other top sports like F1. They're surrounded by PR advisers and have a 'company line'.

I do think that sometimes people confuse 'honesty' with being unprepared/professional. I'm of the Arsene Wenger school of post match interviews. Defend the players, defend the team, give very little away and deal with it behind closed doors. Let's face it, there's very little space for anything original in football-speak anymore. It's genuinely hard not to describe the game in cliches. That's why I think your description is so good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It's amazing how we football supporters can see the same things completely differently. Watters a trier? That's the first time I've heard him described as that. To me, he often looks lost, a bit sorry for himself, unsure of what to do or where to go as a move builds around him.

I'd honestly like to know what it was that people thought Watters did well on Saturday. Everyone around me seemed to think he should be taken off at half-time. Nobody was signing his praises. On the contrary, people were bemoaning the fact that City could have been three or four goals in front if they had a striker on the pitch worthy of the description.

I'd love to see Watters playing well and scoring goals, but he looks well off the pace to me. What am I missing?
    I'd agree with you there but he can't do much about his face! I think that's his default expression.

To be brutally honest. I have no idea why I like the lad and feel protective. It makes no sense. I just do. I've got some humorous stuff going with Bobby D about him and I can't really argue with any of his critics. It might have something to do with him being hooked before half time. I was sat very close to him that day he didn't go in at half time and I never want to experience that again. Call me soppy if you like but I really felt for the lad and put myself in that situation and it made me feel sick.

So there you go. Nothing rational. All emotional. That's why it doesn't make any sense when it's cold-bloodily analysed. It just comes down to feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Great description

I suppose it's a big improvement from "a.n.other played like twat and well f*cked it up for me" so he's going down the right route and I do wonder whether there's any place in the modern game for 'honesty' anymore and that stereotypical replies are what we should expect. It's happened in other top sports like F1. They're surrounded by PR advisers and have a 'company line'.

I do think that sometimes people confuse 'honesty' with being unprepared/professional. I'm of the Arsene Wenger school of post match interviews. Defend the players, defend the team, give very little away and deal with it behind closed doors. Let's face it, there's very little space for anything original in football-speak anymore. It's genuinely hard not to describe the game in cliches. That's why I think your description is so good.
    Yup, i'm all for a bit of honesty and not coming across as a robot, but in a strange kind of way, he sort of did come across as a robot. It was more the reaction rather than the answer, and the negative line he trotted out. I don't think that was called for.

The hours I've put in to creating those burner accounts have finally paid off!
    I KNEW that someone on here would be behind it! 🤣🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I KNEW that someone on here would be behind it! ������
    seriously though, there are people who do this sh*t. It's scary. I"m involved in game development and people get really protective about specific game characters and do some crazy stuff. Much scarier than football fans/forums.

To be brutally honest. I have no idea why I like the lad and feel protective. It makes no sense. I just do. I've got some humorous stuff going with Bobby D about him and I can't really argue with any of his critics. It might have something to do with him being hooked before half time. I was sat very close to him that day he didn't go in at half time and I never want to experience that again. Call me soppy if you like but I really felt for the lad and put myself in that situation and it made me feel sick.
    I was also at that Coventry game and the whole thing was uncomfortable. I felt for Watters, dragging him off when Morison did seemed unnecessary and it wasn't a good thing to happen to any player. But, having said that, I can't honestly say I've seen any kind of improvement in him since then. He still looks the same player to me. While it would obviously be great if he came good, it just doesn't look likely.

Interesting to look back at that game, though. It would be good to know what Morison himself believes has changed since then, because I can't see it. But the local press won't ask him, that's for sure.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60397093

I was also at that Coventry game and the whole thing was uncomfortable. I felt for Watters, dragging him off when Morison did seemed unnecessary and it wasn't a good thing to happen to any player. But, having said that, I can't honestly say I've seen any kind of improvement in him since then. He still looks the same player to me. While it would obviously be great if he came good, it just doesn't look likely.

Interesting to look back at that game, though. It would be good to know what Morison himself believes has changed since then, because I can't see it. But the local press won't ask him, that's for sure.

Yeah, I have to agree.

I have seen no discernible change in his performance levels.

Hopefully he can score on Weds night and move on from there 👍

Interesting to look back at that game, though. It would be good to know what Morison himself believes has changed since then, because I can't see it. But the local
    press won't ask him, that's for sure.

This is a really good question. It's interesting reading that account again, I'd forgotten about his comments.

This still makes me cringe "Is he upset? Yes. Do I want him to be upset? Yes," Morison explained. No, Steve, the answer was no! He's not a Tough Love kind of player for sure. So, it makes your question even more interesting as to what Morison sees now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Hopefully he can score on Weds night and move on from there ��
    Well it's been seven months since he scored, so he's certainly due one.

The same can be said for Harris, by the way. It's six months since he scored. His last goal came in the Coventry game that saw Watters hooked on 37 minutes.

International

That's exactly why he's a bit agitated when he answers questions, he's worried he is being set a trap and doesn't want to make the same mistake again, I bet he realises how bad that looks now.

To be fair to him the journalist started the question with “Its my job as a journalist to find a negative….” but yeah he does need to learn to brush those type of questions off easier.

Piss poor line of questioning from Glen Williams though.

*PS: Getting irate easily and sounding likes he’s arguing with his teenage daughter, maybe me and Steve have more in common that I thought

Yup, i'm all for a bit of honesty and not coming across as a robot, but in a strange kind of way, he sort of did come across as a robot. It was more the reaction rather than the answer, and the negative line he trotted out. I don't think that was called for.
    Good god. The first thing the journalist said was that he was being negative. Did you not watch it ?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Good god. The first thing the journalist said was that he was being negative. Did you not watch it ?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    To be fair to him the journalist started the question with “Its my job as a journalist to find a negative….” but yeah he does need to learn to brush those type of questions off easier.

Piss poor line of questioning from Glen Williams though.

*PS: Getting irate easily and sounding likes he’s arguing with his teenage daughter, maybe me and Steve have more in common that I thought
    Imagine you and steve in a room together.....**** me....

No.

I f*cking love how surreal this has become.

I f*cking love how surreal this has become.
    This place is ****ed mate. I blame the recent hot weather.

It's amazing how we football supporters can see the same things completely differently. Watters a trier? That's the first time I've heard him described as that. To me, he often looks lost, a bit sorry for himself, unsure of what to do or where to go as a move builds around him.

I'd honestly like to know what it was that people thought Watters did well on Saturday. Everyone around me seemed to think he should be taken off at half-time. Nobody was signing his praises. On the contrary, people were bemoaning the fact that City could have been three or four goals in front if they had a striker on the pitch worthy of the description.

I'd love to see Watters playing well and scoring goals, but he looks well off the pace to me. What am I missing?
    I think Watters was better in that game.

we know he can finish - the goals are the same size in whatever division you are in, I think if he's playing with confidence he scores one or two maybe, but anyone can miss a sitter.

What's more difficult at this level is getting chances - he had several shots in 45 minutes, and much more touches in the attacking third than in previous games. if he played like that in every game from now until the end of the season he'd end up with a decent goal haul. in the last game he was completely anonymous. it's definitely an improvement - not convinced he will totally make it yet but it's something to build on. you get the feeling if he gets one or two goals his confidence will be much better but we will see.

before the game plenty were saying that it was his last chance - I don't know if he'll start against wba but if he does I don't think there will be TOO many complaints. if he'd played like he did in the first matches then he'd be benched for sure

I didn’t see the game but was listening on radio whilst driving and Jason Perry was waxing lyrical about Watters movement and how he was pulling the centre half’s all over the place.

Of the 3 strikers by far the best performance on Saturday was from Mark Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Of the 3 strikers by far the best performance on Saturday was from Mark Harris.
    I'd like to see Isaac Davies in the role in this system

Another thread I've spotted late.

I don't give a flying fcuk what Steve Morison says or how he says it when interviewed, what matters is what he says and how he says it to the players before and during the game.

I have to laugh at some of the comments on how he should speak to "journalists".
    The guy is rough and ready. So what?

If he keeps getting results and has his team playing the football we have enjoyed thus far, I wouldn't care if he talked to these muppets in Russian in an Alex Sayle sylee!