+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well Said Steve Morison

Re: Well Said Steve Morison

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    …,the main part is Morison is just a bit of a grumpy bastard.
    We were talking about this in the pub after Saturday’s game and I was wondering whether something happened between him and the press during his playing days.

In his pre-match press conference last week he took just over two minutes to start getting spiky in response to what, on that occasion, was a perfectly reasonable and harmless question. I actually think he misunderstood that one. His response suggested as much.

Considering the local press have been almost exclusively supportive of him since he took over as manager, his attitude towards them is just plain odd.

It’s entertaining, though.

Glen Williams is arguably his biggest supporter on Twitter, it’s very odd he’s fine for Glens throat albeit it was an extremely daft question.

International

a few years ago we hired a young manager, relatively inexperienced and female in a male dominated industry, she was actually really good at her job but for the first 6 months or so managed to piss off everyone she was working with, she seemed unnecessarily confrontational and very ambitious.

I was moaning about her to a Japanese lady I knew at the time and she mentioned a saying they have something along the lines of "when the eagle flies it hides it's talons, a smaller bird has them out". sure enough within a couple of months, and when she's was feeling more confident about her position she put her claws away and chilled the **** out.

I think that's probably part of the reason for the way Morison is with the media, when you're in your first job you're constantly under pressure, a run of defeats and that could be it for you as a manager.
    Someone like Warnock, who knows even if he gets the sack he's likely to have another 5 clubs lining up for them afterwards is obviously much more relaxed and affable with the press.

that said, I think that's only part of the reason, the main part is Morison is just a bit of a grumpy bastard.
    Good post, I think you're right if the results come the pressure will be released, and he will calm down!

The journo did actually open with "obviously I've got to look for a negative as I'm a journalist". It was I'm sure intended as a tongue-in-cheek comment, but if you gift open goals like that to Morison he'll finish in his familiar tetchy fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    The journo did actually open with "obviously I've got to look for a negative as I'm a journalist". It was I'm sure intended as a tongue-in-cheek comment, but if you gift open goals like that to Morison he'll finish in his familiar tetchy fashion.
    It was a stupid way to introduce a question, no doubt about that, but the reaction was way over the top all the same. Morison often seems like he’s an ace away from a full-on meltdown when he’s dealing with the press and it’s difficult to understand why. After all, it’s not as if they give him a hard time. Far from it.

It’s a fascinating sideshow to an already interesting season.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Glen Williams is arguably his biggest supporter on Twitter, it’s very odd he’s fine for Glens throat albeit it was an extremely daft question.
    I agree about Williams, maybe Morison reacted the way he did because he thought he’d get an easy, complimentary question from him and it took him by surprise?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Yeah, I think it was meant to be disarming but our Steve didn't get the...(what's the word JamesWales keeps using?.....ah yes) nuance.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree about Williams, maybe Morison reacted the way he did because he thought he’d get an easy, complimentary question from him and it took him by surprise?
    we just posted exactly the same thing at exactly the same time in exactly different ways!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It was a stupid way to introduce a question, no doubt about that, but the reaction was way over the top all the same. Morison often seems like he’s an ace away from a full-on meltdown when he’s dealing with the press and it’s difficult to understand why. After all, it’s not as if they give him a hard time. Far from it.

I think if he hasn't got one already he could do with a mentor type person - not necessarily from within football but somewhere he can find a safe space and get push back from a critical friend

He is young and learning his trade so like all of us could possibly do with some support behind the scenes?

Did you stay in the sun too long this weekend? Baldies like us should wear hats in such circumstances.
    I blame the 20,000 steps to and from the game. My rain dance yesterday seems to have done the trick though

a few years ago we hired a young manager, relatively inexperienced and female in a male dominated industry, she was actually really good at her job but for the first 6 months or so managed to piss off everyone she was working with, she seemed unnecessarily confrontational and very ambitious.

I was moaning about her to a Japanese lady I knew at the time and she mentioned a saying they have something along the lines of "when the eagle flies it hides it's talons, a smaller bird has them out". sure enough within a couple of months, and when she's was feeling more confident about her position she put her claws away and chilled the **** out.

I think that's probably part of the reason for the way Morison is with the media, when you're in your first job you're constantly under pressure, a run of defeats and that could be it for you as a manager.
    Someone like Warnock, who knows even if he gets the sack he's likely to have another 5 clubs lining up for them afterwards is obviously much more relaxed and affable with the press.

that said, I think that's only part of the reason, the main part is Morison is just a bit of a grumpy bastard.
    Morison has, I’m pretty sure, said himself that he was a Mr Angry as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    we just posted exactly the same thing at exactly the same time in exactly different ways!

International

He's new to Management and inexperienced at media sessions and he's been caught out a few times speaking his mind and criticising players especially Watters.

I think he panicked a bit and thought it was a bit of an ambush question and wasn’t entirely sure how to answer it, so got spikey quickly as felt under pressure, it’s understandable really, it’s his weakest managerial aspect so far, but he'll get there and positive results will help.

He shoots from the hip at times but I’d much rather that than the corporate bullshit that other managers trot out every interview. I love his honesty

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    He shoots from the hip at times but I’d much rather that than the corporate bullshit that other managers trot out every interview. I love his honesty
    Spot on

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    I’m on Morison’s side on this one, but I wish I had a pound for every time he Ralls about getting someone “in the building”.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    He's new to Management and inexperienced at media sessions and he's been caught out a few times speaking his mind and criticising players especially Watters.

I think he panicked a bit and thought it was a bit of an ambush question and wasn’t entirely sure how to answer it, so got spikey quickly as felt under pressure, it’s understandable really, it’s his weakest managerial aspect so far, but he'll get there and positive results will help.
    I'm not sure I buy that, he's been involved in professional football for 20 years (including international and Premier League football), he'll have had media training. Like someone else said I think he's just a bit of a grumpy bastard

It's good that he's defending his players and it is a lot more enjoyable than the corporate nonsense that gets trotted out in football (including by Morison/the club when we sign someone), even if his style can be a little detrimental/odd at times

International

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'm not sure I buy that, he's been involved in professional football for 20 years (including international and Premier League football), he'll have had media training. Like someone else said I think he's just a bit of a grumpy bastard

It's good that he's defending his players and it is a lot more enjoyable than the corporate nonsense that gets trotted out in football (including by Morison/the club when we sign someone), even if his style can be a little detrimental/odd at times

We can agree to differ, I think Management media sessions are completely different to player interviews twice a year where they say, yep I like smacked the fecker into the top corner, oops sorry for swearing im over the moon like, if we played like this every week we wouldn't be so inconsistant like

Interestingly, as I have mentioned elsewhere, Watters seems to have lots of support on Twitter from the fanbase. On the thread where this same discussion is being had, there are over 40 likes and lots of positive comments about it being his best game for us, far outweighing those who commented that he'd been poor (myself included)

I'm amazed, and even wondered if some of the Tweets were sarcastic (one even ended 'great player' )

We can agree to differ, I think Management media sessions are completely different to player interviews twice a year where they say, yep I like smacked the fecker into the top corner, oops sorry for swearing im over the moon like, if we played like this every week we wouldn't be so inconsistant like
    You know I'm delighted to score but the most important thing is we got the three points like, it was tough cos they're a good team but the boys put in a shift and yeah we're all buzzing, you know fans were class and we got the win so yeah really happy

International

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Interestingly, as I have mentioned elsewhere, Watters seems to have lots of support on Twitter from the fanbase. On the thread where this same discussion is being had, there are over 40 likes and lots of positive comments about it being his best game for us, far outweighing those who commented that he'd been poor (myself included)

I'm amazed, and even wondered if some of the Tweets were sarcastic (one even ended 'great player' )
    He's a tryer and not getting much luck, City fans generally want a tryer to come good, it's talented lazy B's they can't stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

The hours I've put in to creating those burner accounts have finally paid off!

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    You know I'm delighted to score but the most important thing is we got the three points like, it was tough cos they're a good team but the boys put in a shift and yeah we're all buzzing, you know fans were class and we got the win so yeah really happy

He's a tryer and not getting much luck.....
    It's amazing how we football supporters can see the same things completely differently. Watters a trier? That's the first time I've heard him described as that. To me, he often looks lost, a bit sorry for himself, unsure of what to do or where to go as a move builds around him.

I'd honestly like to know what it was that people thought Watters did well on Saturday. Everyone around me seemed to think he should be taken off at half-time. Nobody was signing his praises. On the contrary, people were bemoaning the fact that City could have been three or four goals in front if they had a striker on the pitch worthy of the description.

I'd love to see Watters playing well and scoring goals, but he looks well off the pace to me. What am I missing?

International

It's amazing how we football supporters can see the same things completely differently. Watters a trier? That's the first time I've heard him described as that. To me, he often looks lost, a bit sorry for himself, unsure of what to do or where to go as a move builds around him.

I'd honestly like to know what it was that people thought Watters did well on Saturday. Everyone around me seemed to think he should be taken off at half-time. Nobody was signing his praises. On the contrary, people were bemoaning the fact that City could have been three or four goals in front if they had a striker on the pitch worthy of the description.

I'd love to see Watters playing well and scoring goals, but he looks well off the pace to me. What am I missing?
    I think he is trying his best but must agree there are times when he does look sad, bewildered even and a bit out of his depth. I hope he scores quickly against WBA if he starts and gets some confidence.

If not, we are sure to pick up a young premiership Striker, looking for a chance to shine at a club that’s playing the ball on the ground and creating lots of chances for him to develop. We look a far better loan option now than in previous years with this team and style of play.