+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Would Warnock done well in this transfer market

Would Warnock done well in this transfer market

I think on early showings SM has done a remarkable job in the market, a market I doubt we’ll see like for a long time.

Warnock did similar but not in this market. Would Warnock ball still work in 2022?

Re: Would Warnock done well in this transfer market

I think what Morison did in the January window was a positive indication of how well Cardiff could recruit in this window.

Still it is very early days, but if we wind the clock back three years ago where the board gave Warnock the nod to try his hand at another promotion with the spine of the squad requiring new faces, and then went on to spend over £15m on the following:-

Glatzel - £5.5m
    Flint -£4m
    Vaulks - £2m
    Vassell - £2m
    Whyte - £2m
    Pack - £800k

with Nelson and Day also joining on a free. Quite a few on this board were in two minds about retaining Warnock and entrusting him with recruiting new players on 2-3+ year contracts. Warnock all had had its day at that point and I think many wanted to move on.

It's early days for sure, but I am at least encouraged by the potential of the playing style Morison is attempting to establish and quite a few of the signings offer a real influence on that.

It’s a different market now to the one Warnock completely ****ed up in 2019. The pandemic has changed the landscape in the Championship and you could argue not before time. Clubs were spending huge money that was unsustainable and giving out premier league wages to average players as they desperately gambled and chased the Premier League dream and the riches it brings.

There is very little money being spent even by the so called bigger players in the division this year. There’s no Fulham throwing big money at it for an instant return.

Aside from the 3 that come down and West Brom and Sheff U, who still have parachute payments, everyone else is in the same boat and seem to be cutting their cloth accordingly.

Therefore, I’m my opinion, of all the years to have a full rebuild of free / low transfers this a good year to be doing it.

Warnock was arguably better with free transfer than spending money but I think the game has passed him by now. That promotion he had with us in 2018 was a freak in hindsight. We’d have no doubt signed a load of players from his preferred agents and not signed with one eye on the future.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I think on early showings SM has done a remarkable job in the market, a market I doubt we’ll see like for a long time.

Warnock did similar but not in this market. Would Warnock ball still work in 2022?
    According to my rough maths, Warnock signed 50 players for us (according to Transfermarkt). 11 of those are playing at Championship or higher. 4 are in the top divisions in Europe. The vast majority stepped down a division after leaving us.

Quote Originally Posted by SuisseBluebird View Post
    I think what Morison did in the January window was a positive indication of how well Cardiff could recruit in this window.

Still it is very early days, but if we wind the clock back three years ago where the board gave Warnock the nod to try his hand at another promotion with the spine of the squad requiring new faces, and then went on to spend over £15m on the following:-

Glatzel - £5.5m
    Flint -£4m
    Vaulks - £2m
    Vassell - £2m
    Whyte - £2m
    Pack - £800k

with Nelson and Day also joining on a free. Quite a few on this board were in two minds about retaining Warnock and entrusting him with recruiting new players on 2-3+ year contracts. Warnock all had had its day at that point and I think many wanted to move on.

It's early days for sure, but I am at least encouraged by the potential of the playing style Morison is attempting to establish and quite a few of the signings offer a real influence on that.
    Those lot didn’t really pan out did they, did we get a fee back for any of them? Not to mention the 11 million lost on Murphy and 6 on madine….

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Those lot didn’t really pan out did they, did we get a fee back for any of them? Not to mention the 11 million lost on Murphy and 6 on madine….
    The only one we got any money for was Glatzel and even then we took a £4.75 million hit.

As to the original question, I’d have a bit more faith in Warnock in this market than I did when he wasting money in 2019 and, to a lesser extent, 2018. One thing for sure, Uche would now be a City player if Warnock had been in charge of recruitment this summer.

I daresay there's a good possibility that Warnock may have ended up signing a few of the same lads Morrison has signed.
    After all, these managers are all fishing in the same small pond when it comes to free transfers.
    Having said that, the bigger picture would have been greatly different I'm sure.
    Uche possibly would be here as Bob says, due to Warnock's hoof ball style.
    I think we'd have signed a lot less players, more big lads, and probably would have been watching the same uglyish footy we've all seen before under his management.

I'm glad we're playing with the ball on the ground, it's far more enjoyable to watch.
    Let's just hope the gamble works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    I daresay there's a good possibility that Warnock may have ended up signing a few of the same lads Morrison has signed.
    After all, these managers are all fishing in the same small pond when it comes to free transfers.
    Having said that, the bigger picture would have been greatly different I'm sure.
    Uche possibly would be here as Bob says, due to Warnock's hoof ball style.
    I think we'd have signed a lot less players, more big lads, and probably would have been watching the same uglyish footy we've all seen before under his management.

I'm glad we're playing with the ball on the ground, it's far more enjoyable to watch.
    Let's just hope the gamble works.
    we'd probably have renewed the contracts of a few more of the departees as well

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    we'd probably have renewed the contracts of a few more of the departees as well
    Agreed.
    I think Warnock would have been in for the likes of Adams and Rino, possibly Uche, prob another big centre forward and centre back. As you say, players like Flint and Vaulks may well have stayed!

I'm pleased we're changing the style of football, I just worry that we still need another forward and centre back, and that we're carrying so many players now.

Hopefully a few go out on loan for a full season, we could do with the likes of Denham for example getting games and strengthening.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Agreed.
    I think Warnock would have been in for the likes of Adams and Rino, possibly Uche, prob another big centre forward and centre back. As you say, players like Flint and Vaulks may well have stayed!

I'm pleased we're changing the style of football, I just worry that we still need another forward and centre back, and that we're carrying so many players now.

Hopefully a few go out on loan for a full season, we could do with the likes of Denham for example getting games and strengthening.
    Vaulks hardly played for us when Warnock was in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Vaulks hardly played for us when Warnock was in charge.
    He's have been kept along with Ralls for squad depth though I reckon. I doubt Warnock would have wanted so many new players in, it would have been more about adding physicality to the squad.

In a few months from now, the amount of time since Warnock left Cardiff will be longer than the amount of time he was manager of the club.

Colwill and Davies would be at Weston Super Mare

Even with Warnock going for the same targets that we brought in this window - how many do you think we would have signed without being able to throw daft contracts at them? It's been interesting that almost all of the players coming in have talked about 'being sold the club, ethos and vision'.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Even with Warnock going for the same targets that we brought in this window - how many do you think we would have signed without being able to throw daft contracts at them? It's been interesting that almost all of the players coming in have talked about 'being sold the club, ethos and vision'.
    I got the impression that if Warnock couldn't do well out of a transfer it wouldn't have happened.............

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    I got the impression that if Warnock couldn't do well out of a transfer it wouldn't have happened.............
    It's interesting that he always did well with free's but always clearly felt that he had to spend some big money, often on players that weren't as good as those free transfers too.
    Think it's safe to say that he probably had more of a vested interest in those players that cost bigger fees.

I said a few weeks back that watching City play this season feels like seeing colour for the first time…it wasn’t just about the football at the end of Warnock’s reign, he really jarred me in all his pre and post match interviews, our biggest mistake was not shaking his hand on the day of promotion, but if I remember correctly he was spouting that Sharon wanted him to have one more go in the premiership, then Tan & co bought into it.