+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A different method for subs?

First Team

A different method for subs?

I noticed in field hockey they do subs "on the fly". As I understand it, you can sub someone in but another player has to simultaneously come off and the game doesn't stop.

Wouldn't that be a good way to stop potentially 10! timewasting subs in the latter stages?

Re: A different method for subs?

You can only make subs on 3 separate occasions plus 1 concussion this season.

International

Five subs will favour the strongest squads overall, so we are benefiting we have a strong bench and the players coming on can add value, i'm enjoying this change, it keeps games going right to the end as the losing teams can bring on five attacking players second half if they want.

rolling subs would be interesting

Ya, but, our 6 fingered friends down west, would end up with 12 players on the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    rolling subs would be interesting
    I'd rather they walked or ran onto the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Five subs will favour the strongest squads overall, so we are benefiting we have a strong bench and the players coming on can add value, i'm enjoying this change, it keeps games going right to the end as the losing teams can bring on five attacking players second half if they want.
    I agree, that and the new instructions the refs have been given re. letting the game flow, properly added on time in added time etc. It's making for a far better game of football. As well as it making things interesting, I like the strategic element the change brings too.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    I noticed in field hockey they do subs "on the fly". As I understand it, you can sub someone in but another player has to simultaneously come off and the game doesn't stop.

Wouldn't that be a good way to stop potentially 10! timewasting subs in the latter stages?
    Good call, give the 4th official something to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Good call, give the 4th official something to do.
    Yeah. That's a top suggestion from AZ. That would add a bit more spice.