+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Referee more linient on fouls and penalties?

International

Referee more linient on fouls and penalties?

During the game Saturday, the referee let every push and soft foul go. I prefer it but was thinking that was a foul, the standard was completely different, but probably better. Is this Premier League change also in the Championship, I hope so it makes it much better?

I watched the Chelsea game, and it was superb, letting everything go obviously added to the atmosphere and the tempers on the Managers, it made t a brilliant game to watch, and maybe that’s why most people seemed to enjoy out game Saturday much more?

https://theathletic.com/news/premier.../7fiebA7f2A0l/

Premier League to be more lenient with fouls and offsides next season
    By Peter Rutzler

The Premier League will implement a higher threshold for fouls to win a penalty and offsides next season in order to create a more free-flowing game.

Mike Riley, the head of the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL), has revealed that officials will push back on a more forensic approach to decision-making, meaning fewer penalties and fouls will be awarded for minimal contact, while the implementation of ‘thicker’ lines for offside calls will aim to re-establish the ‘benefit of the doubt’ for forwards.

The changes are hoped to “move the dial back towards a pre-VAR world” and follows a consultation by PGMOL with the league’s stakeholders, including clubs, players, coaches and fans, who were canvassed for their opinions on the implementation and impact of video technology earlier this year.

“Fundamentally, we want the approach to be one that best allows a player to express themselves, that allows the Premier League game to flow, and means that the team of referees and VAR don't intervene in trivial offences,” Riley said.

“Let's create a free-flowing game, where the threshold for intervention both as referees and VAR is slightly higher than it was last season.”

The Premier League changes follow widespread praise of the officiating at this summer’s European Championships, which was commended for a softer touch and fewer VAR interventions.

Re: Referee more linient on fouls and penalties?

I'm sure these changes were introduced last season?