+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Souness

Re: Souness

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    So you guys are perfectly happy with the top three stories on the BBC's Rugby Union page all failing to reflect what people are generally a lot less interested in?
    So this is what this giant among CCMB threads has now become? Given the fuss you're making about this, I decided to have a look at the offending page and found that three of the most prominent stories did relate to women's rugby, but out of a total of forty two stories on the page, only less than a third (thirteen) were about the women's game. Furthermore, a couple of that thirteen were jointly about the women and men's games.

Furthermore, nearly all of the stories on the page had an accompanying picture that, in most cases, made it perfectly clear that the story was about women's rugby. Now I must say that I occasionally click on a link(without an accompanying picture) on pages of other sites because, for example, it's about a transfer from, say, Aston Villa to Man City, only to find out that it's a woman footballer who is moving clubs. However, my reaction is somewhat different to yours. I don't go off on one about "agendas", I just either read the story or head back to the main page - you should try it, much better for your mental health,

So you guys are perfectly happy with the top three stories on the BBC's Rugby Union page all failing to reflect what people are generally a lot less interested in?
    I genuinely could not care less about the top headlines on any website tbh pal. I honestly wouldn’t care if the top 3 headlines on football365 were about the gerbil World Cup.

It’s a complete waste of energy worrying about such insignificant shit.

Thats a fairly absurd take in my opinion - so the BBC should be driven not by news or what people are interested in, but by demographics? So Manchester City winning a game should have no more prominence than Arsenal ladies winning a game because ha;f the population are female?

The BBC seems to be going down that route, and if it does it will spell disaster as it will just become irrelevant to most.
    The bbc has always been driven by demographics, it’s license fee funded and has to cater for everyone not just what’s popular.

It’s why they can’t go all out for live football but also why their podcast output as well as bbc 4 and 6 music can get away with producing such different and interesting content.

Again you weren’t even on the news website but the rugby union website anyway.

Just noticed the poster called JamesWales started a WSL thread to try and make some kind of point, touch grass ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post

I'd think it funny if your assessment of me wasn't so stupid.
    I see that we're now getting points on this thread about how a woman might one day be comparable to Ronaldo!
    F@ck me, I must have woken up in an alternate universe. Since when were women physically comparable to Ronaldo?
    I'm all for a good debate lads, but come on!!
    You don’t think there’s any women that are stronger or faster than Ronaldo?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So this is what this giant among CCMB threads has now become? Given the fuss you're making about this, I decided to have a look at the offending page and found that three of the most prominent stories did relate to women's rugby, but out of a total of forty two stories on the page, only less than a third (thirteen) were about the women's game. Furthermore, a couple of that thirteen were jointly about the women and men's games.

Furthermore, nearly all of the stories on the page had an accompanying picture that, in most cases, made it perfectly clear that the story was about women's rugby. Now I must say that I occasionally click on a link(without an accompanying picture) on pages of other sites because, for example, it's about a transfer from, say, Aston Villa to Man City, only to find out that it's a woman footballer who is moving clubs. However, my reaction is somewhat different to yours. I don't go off on one about "agendas", I just either read the story or head back to the main page - you should try it, much better for your mental health,
    With respect Bob, when it comes to over-reacting to stories on CCMB, I shall refrain from taking advice from you

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder’s Mam View Post
    Just noticed the poster called JamesWales started a WSL thread to try and make some kind of point, touch grass ffs.
    I watch womens football William. Went to a game at the Euros.

I genuinely could not care less about the top headlines on any website tbh pal. I honestly wouldn’t care if the top 3 headlines on football365 were about the gerbil World Cup.

It’s a complete waste of energy worrying about such insignificant shit.
    I only care about it in the context of this discussion, which you seem to care quite a bit about as well to be fair..

It's about news values, agendas and whether this occurs elsewhere on the BBC. Surprised you can't see that. This is an extreme example from one part of the website, but it is totally out of kilter with what is actually the news most rugby fans would be wanting to read.

International

Ffs, nobody's saying it should stop them.
    I'm sure they don't want Ian Wright doing punditry on their shows, I suspect the blokes don't want them on match of the day etc either.
    I don't want Ian Wright either, he's worse than Karen!

International

Where are women being given roles and blocking men? It certainly isn’t refs and linesmen/women because there’s a huge shortage of them.

When 50% of the population are women and like <1% of football pundits are women are pundits I’d like to know where a woman has blocked any man getting a job.
    Its way more than 1%

International

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    The women's game isn't lacking either of those. Where it differs from the Men's game is in the physicality which would have been a better word for Souness to use on Sunday.
    He didn't need to change anything, he said its a mans game, which was perfectly correct, he was watching and commenting on a mans game!

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    The women's game isn't lacking either of those. Where it differs from the Men's game is in the physicality which would have been a better word for Souness to use on Sunday.
    Do you really think he said anything wrong though? Looking at this thread, I'm surprised that a pretty harmless comment has managed to attract such vitriol from both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Do you really think he said anything wrong though? Looking at this thread, I'm surprised that a pretty harmless comment has managed to attract such vitriol from both sides.
    I don’t think many people have said he said anything wrong really. Just people used it as a reason to say women shouldn’t be involved in men’s football at all and the lunatics extrapolated it from that to bbc pushing equality agenda because they are off their heads.

I only care about it in the context of this discussion, which you seem to care quite a bit about as well to be fair..

It's about news values, agendas and whether this occurs elsewhere on the BBC. Surprised you can't see that. This is an extreme example from one part of the website, but it is totally out of kilter with what is actually the news most rugby fans would be wanting to read.
    I’d read another website if something evoked that much annoyance in me tbh. The bbc website trying to cater to more people is something I agree with though but I wouldn’t care if it was any other website either because I know not everything is aimed at me.

I don’t think many people have said he said anything wrong really. Just people used it as a reason to say women shouldn’t be involved in men’s football at all and the lunatics extrapolated it from that to bbc pushing equality agenda because they are off their heads.
    Kind of agree, although there are a few posts on here along the lines of 'it was a daft thing to say '. The story was also kicked off by the twitterati over reaction to his initial comments, the ' get in the bin ' comment being my particular ridiculous fave.

Think it's sad to see some of the vitriol towards womens football though ! Been reading a bit about the way they were effectively shut out of the game in the 1920s despite the huge popularity of the women's game at the time. Seems like there's a few who'd happily go back to those days and attitudes.

I try my best to ignore Twitter because they over react on every issue like this and I think it undermines situations when it’s worth getting annoyed.

Agree completely about the women’s game, was purposely undermined to get the popularity of the men’s game up after the war, happy for it to get a bit more attention now even though I don’t really watch it myself.

This thread needs to be put in the place where Sludges nonsense threads go. Embarrassing and full of multis talking to themselves and backing themselves up now. Bizarre behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    You don’t think there’s any women that are stronger or faster than Ronaldo?
    You can't be serious???

Physically stronger, quite possibly. I'm sure a few female body builders would fit the bill. Faster? Maybe, a few sprinters are I'm sure.
    Technically better at football, stronger and faster in a footballing sense, which you know damn well was the point...
    Give over!
    You will never see a female player on the level of Ronaldo in your lifetime and I'd be willing to bet everything I will ever own on that.

First they came for Souness and then they came for Crown Paints, and Citizen's rejoiced.

Graeme-Souness-Liverpool-TEAMtalk.jpg

I’d read another website if something evoked that much annoyance in me tbh. The bbc website trying to cater to more people is something I agree with though but I wouldn’t care if it was any other website either because I know not everything is aimed at me.
    Don't worry, I will. But I care about the BBC and then the BBC becomes less relevant and the licence fee less justified. And that's the point, they aren't trying to cater to more people, they are catering to less, and it's a deliberate editorial decision to do so, and a pretty unwise one.

Maybe you aren't a rugby fan, but their coverage of the domestic game is pretty poor as it is, and evidently getting worse if people want to follow the mens professional game.

Don't worry, I will. But I care about the BBC and then the BBC becomes less relevant and the licence fee less justified. And that's the point, they aren't trying to cater to more people, they are catering to less, and it's a deliberate editorial decision to do so, and a pretty unwise one.

Maybe you aren't a rugby fan, but their coverage of the domestic game is pretty poor as it is, and evidently getting worse if people want to follow the mens professional game.
    How much less relevant can they get?

Thats a fairly absurd take in my opinion - so the BBC should be driven not by news or what people are interested in, but by demographics? So Manchester City winning a game should have no more prominence than Arsenal ladies winning a game because ha;f the population are female?

The BBC seems to be going down that route, and if it does it will spell disaster as it will just become irrelevant to most.
    Yes and yes.

Money makes elite sport what it is. The billions upon billions of pounds invested in male football has made it the product that it is today.

The BBC is a public organisation and should be careful not to promote privately run organisations like the premier league more than they would the WSL based on the fact the PL currently offers a better standard of football due to decades of massive private investment.

It is funny how football is the game of the people when it suits people , but when it comes to matters of equality, a lot of the same traditionalists and so called working class heroes suddenly feel the need to dismiss half the population.

A lot of people on this thread just go to show that bigotry in football is alive and well.

What are you so scared of ? why can't you look beyond petty griped about the composition of the BBC's sports website. The content you want is there, just look for it and stop being such a "big girl".

I'm sorry man, genuinely I am, but I'm going to go to sleep still laughing at this
    You've made my night, top marks
    Are you scared of thinking ?

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Yes and yes.

Money makes elite sport what it is. The billions upon billions of pounds invested in male football has made it the product that it is today.

The BBC is a public organisation and should be careful not to promote privately run organisations like the premier league more than they would the WSL based on the fact the PL currently offers a better standard of football due to decades of massive private investment.

It is funny how football is the game of the people when it suits people , but when it comes to matters of equality, a lot of the same traditionalists and so called working class heroes suddenly feel the need to dismiss half the population.

A lot of people on this thread just go to show that bigotry in football is alive and well.

What are you so scared of ? why can't you look beyond petty griped about the composition of the BBC's sports website. The content you want is there, just look for it and stop being such a "big girl".
    You are seriously saying the BBC should not promote the Prermier league above and beyond the WSL? The BBC is a news organisation. It's not the UK Dept of Equality, and if it was it would be going about it in the wrong way anyway.

I'm not scared of anything thanks. I travelled across the country to watch a game at the recent Euros. I have two girls I've introduced to football and I support the growth of womens football.

What I dont support - in this instance - is the BBC ignoring the news that people want to read or is demonstrably bigger stories, and sacrificing that at the altar of a twisted version of equality. It won't work and the BBC will only be weaker for it.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    He could have chosen his words better. When he said it I thought that's not going to be well received.