+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Souness

Re: Souness

No way did Souness imply that the game belonged to “males”. What he meant was he enjoyed the game in the committed
    manor in which it was played and perhaps a certain level of maturity, integrity and experience in which you would expect from a man over a boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It was probably an opinion piece, no more, no less. To some people, the women winning the Euro's would be bigger than 1966. It's a personal thing. Nobody is telling anyone how to think
    "An opinion piece. No more, no less"... Except opinion pieces in media will shape opinion in the way an editor sees fit, on behalf of the publications rich owners. Or am i being cynical? Or maybe your take is a bit facile.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    There’s one woman commentator that shouts and screeches and it’s made me turn off games.
    I think it's the one on 5live who is across everything of late. Vicki Sparks. A really fake, slightly grandiose voice. Pure affection. It's truly awful to endure the fakeness.

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    I think it's the one on 5live who is across everything of late. Vicki Sparks. A really fake, slightly grandiose voice. Pure affection. It's truly awful to endure the fakeness.
    "Affectation" not Affection.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It was probably an opinion piece, no more, no less. To some people, the women winning the Euro's would be bigger than 1966. It's a personal thing. Nobody is telling anyone how to think
    It was, a daft opinion in my view, but something the snowflakes could claim signalled the end of mens football as we know it - this thread is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    If you’re going to make comparisons between the men and women pundits achievements prob best not to make them against Souness, he’s one of the most decorated players in the history of British football.
    I remember the way he used to stamp on Wales players when Scotland were getting a football lesson at Hampden Park and the I’m having a Souness line you’d hear in pubs in the eighties (one half and I’m off) - you’re right, he was a great player at his peak, but a bit of a thug as his career came to an end, what he did to Peter Nicholas I think it was, was not manly, more cowardly.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...eautiful-game/

That said, I quite enjoy him as a pundit normally.

It should never have come to this because Souness should have retired from punditry after Paul Pogba was asked about him due to his relentless criticism and his response was to ask who Souness was and Souness didn’t like that and said put your medals on the table then so Pogba posted a photo of himself holding the World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I remember the way he used to stamp on Wales players when Scotland were getting a football lesson at Hampden Park and the I’m having a Souness line you’d hear in pubs in the eighties (one half and I’m off) - you’re right, he was a great player at his peak, but a bit of a thug as his career came to an end, what he did to Peter Nicholas I think it was, was not manly, more cowardly.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...eautiful-game/

That said, I quite enjoy him as a pundit normally.
    Peter Nicholas was no angel himself

Like Souness he could dish it out as well as being an excellent footballer.

I remember the game well, it was the first Wales side I can remember as I got into football. I’ve still not come to terms with tha Wales side not reaching the 86 World Cup and some of my favourite Welsh players never appearing at a finals.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Peter Nicholas was no angel himself

Like Souness he could dish it out as well as being an excellent footballer.

I remember the game well, it was the first Wales side I can remember as I got into football. I’ve still not come to terms with tha Wales side not reaching the 86 World Cup and some of my favourite Welsh players never appearing at a finals.
    No, I'm pretty sure the incident was "afters" for something Nicholas had done before, but, on the other hand, it must have been so frustrating for the Scots that night because it was a little like Saturday in a way, a really one sided 1-0 which, if I remember rightly, no one really saw coming despite Wales having that superb spine of Southall, Ratcliffe, Hughes and Rush all close to or at their pick.

We really should have qualified, or at least made it to the Play Off, that time, but I've always thought we scored too early down here in the return game and so were caught between two stools somewhat - I suppose the fact it was back in the days when the Welsh attitude towards qualifying for major tournaments was "how will it all go wrong this time?", while the Scots were expecting to qualify every time, didn't help matters either..

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Robyn Cowen? She's the main female commentator used by the BBC and I don't particularly like her commentary for that reason. There are other women commentators who are far better and who contribute lots of insight into the game. Let's be honest, man or woman who has played the game at international level will know more about it than any fan. What do women know about the men's game? More than those in the crowd.
    Maybe, but not as much as men that have played the men’s game, Roy Keene would have been far better than Karen, he'd understand the passion and why the managers lost it. Don't put him on as a pundit during women’s games though, it's very different have a panel of women who would have better understanding of their emotions. I don’t think it needs to be mixed?

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Maybe, but not as much as men that have played the men’s game, Roy Keene would have been far better than Karen, he'd understand the passion and why the managers lost it. Don't put him on as a pundit during women’s games though, it's very different have a panel of women who would have better understanding of their emotions. I don’t think it needs to be mixed?
    emotions?

International

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I don't see what the problem with female officials is. There are female coppers, lawyers, doctors etc. There may be a difference between genders in physical prowess, but there are no differences in critical thinking and exercising good judgment.
    Agreed, men refs are mostly rubbish in the Championship, give them a go, make sure the best person gets the matches though, no quotas, do it by assessments.

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    She certainly loves her own voice

Female referees to officiate at men’s World Cup for the first time

Three female referees and three female assistants selected
    ‘Quality counts for us and not gender,’ says Fifa’s head of referees (Pierluigi Collina - arguably one of the greatest referees of all time).

Sian Massey-Ellis: Premier League assistant referee discusses VAR, online hate and inspiring next generation

Sian Massey-Ellis tells Sky Sports' Kate Mason people must be held accountable for social media abuse; she accepts officials will make mistakes and wants to pave the way for more women to reach the top of sport; Massey-Ellis has been a Premier League assistant referee since 2010

Ok we get your viewpoint ……

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    ....and right on cue.....some people just don't disappoint.

But would Roy Keane have been better

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I just wanted to finish off contributing to this thread and try and counter the sexism that's prevalent. The Boss in his post quite rightly talked about education and having a counter-argument. I like the way Michael referred to 'the story' and I get that.

You know what my biggest fight in life is? Equality.

It's also worth noting to all those who call me PC, snowflake, softie etc.. that I hardly ever start any threads, let alone bang a PC drum. I'm usually responding to the extreme views of people who start threads because they are pushing an agenda.

If I've got something political to highlight, I do it on the Politics Board.

I've started a few football threads in my time here but they've usually beens swamped by delicate posters who've been so offended by something so banal that it's pushed them into starting their own. This thread is a good example.

Anyway. I have a life and work to do (some of which are campaigning and activism for equality).

Have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I just wanted to finish off contributing to this thread and try and counter the sexism that's prevalent. The Boss in his post quite rightly talked about education and having a counter-argument. I like the way Michael referred to 'the story' and I get that.

You know what my biggest fight in life is? Equality.

It's also worth noting to all those who call me PC, snowflake, softie etc.. that I hardly ever start any threads, let alone bang a PC drum. I'm usually responding to the extreme views of people who start threads because they are pushing an agenda.

If I've got something political to highlight, I do it on the Politics Board.

I've started a few football threads in my time here but they've usually beens swamped by delicate posters who've been so offended by something so banal that it's pushed them into starting their own. This thread is a good example.

Anyway. I have a life and work to do (some of which are campaigning and activism for equality).

Have a great day.

Things like this on were on mainstream T.V not that long ago , crazy

https://twitter.com/lockerroomlol/st...tywXNa_PYTPIAQ

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    But would Roy Keane have been better
    For me definitely, he's a bit grumpy and unpredictable, I would have liked to have seen his views on it, Karen didn't seem to have much passion on the match and seemed out of her depth, that’s my view we can agree to disagree.

Normally you would have had a different discussion, it changed as soon as Souness said it's a man’s game, which it was, the ladies games were a few weeks ago.

For me definately, he's a bit grumpy and unpredictable, I would have liked to have seen his views on it, Karen didn't seem to have much passion on the match and seemed out of her depth, thats my view we can agree to disagree.

Normally you would have had a different discussion, it changed as soon as Souness said it's a mans game, which it was, the ladies games were a few weeks ago.
    what do you mean by "out of her depth" surely nobody can be out of their depth when it comes to giving their opinion on a game of football.
    you might not personally find them particularly interesting, but that's different.
    plenty of male pundits talk a load of shite most of the time anyway.

Souness didnt say anything wrong imo. Its been taken out of context, he was on about the physicality, boys to men.

The male pundits are always ex players who have played mens football. The female pundits are always ex players who have played the womens game. I think some of the women pundits are good, but then they should be appearing on panels for womens games, as they have experience of that. Its quite straightforward really, and shouldnt offend anyone. Thats my 2 pennies worth anyway..