+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Souness

Re: Souness

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    If you can't see that equality is indeed being shoved down our throats, especially where the football is concerned as a prime example, you need your head testing mate.
    That reads like you have a problem with equality.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    weird comment
    I think he was being sarcastic. Sometimes sarcasm doesn't travel well through the medium of text.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Oh FFS rjk!

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Why does their physical inferiority stop them being linesmen, refs and commentators? How does that diminish your enjoyment of a game?
    There’s one woman commentator that shouts and screeches and it’s made me turn off games.

I didn't see Souness's comment, nor Carney's reaction, but I did hear Souness talking about what he said on a TS link.

I also came on and noticed this thread pretty late too.
    I read the first few posts but decided against reading the rest apart from the last few.
    It has a very familiar look to it from what I can gather with people arguing the toss over women in football.

Whether Souness meant to say what he said, as has been mentioned re a dig at the women's game, or whether he just wanted to give his backing to a more physical style of play, matters not a jot to me personally.

He always played the game the way he is advocating, i.e. leaving the foot in and letting your opponent know you are there but the point many are missing is why the physical side has been phased out in the first place.
    The main reason was to protect clubs' assets against hatchet men like Souness.

Not my favourite pundit but I do admire him for sticking by what he said as many would crumble going along with the narrative which has become very popular of late and apologise profusely.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think he was being sarcastic. Sometimes sarcasm doesn't travel well through the medium of text.
    I was Eric. And you're right. I give up. It's almost as if I've never used it before. See, I can't help myself.

Just to point out that, to anyone who's not up to speed, the "it's just my opinion" ending to a few of my posts were to make a point about....oh **** it. I'm done.

Edit: sorry ryk, just saw your mate.....It's a hard crowd tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    There’s one woman commentator that shouts and screeches and it’s made me turn off games.
    Robyn Cowen? She's the main female commentator used by the BBC and I don't particularly like her commentary for that reason. There are other women commentators who are far better and who contribute lots of insight into the game. Let's be honest, man or woman who has played the game at international level will know more about it than any fan. What do women know about the men's game? More than those in the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I was Eric. And you're right. I give up. It's almost as if I've never used it before. See, I can't help myself.

Just to point out that, to anyone who's not up to speed, the "it's just my opinion" ending to a few of my posts were to make a point about....oh **** it. I'm done.

Edit: sorry rye, just saw your mate.....It's a hard crowd tonight!
    I got it!

Hatchet men like Souness? He was a terrific footballer, he had the lot for a midfielder - he could tackle, pass, shoot. He went and played in Italy when it was the best league in the world, at a time very few British players got that opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Yes I have to agree with the flower man this place has become hysterical. I wish my muscle memory would stop me clicking on the web icon. Life’s too short to waste on here reading people getting hysterical for nothing.

Context is everything, Souness meant it was a man’s game from the physical aspect and in modern times we had somehow moved away from it with a lot of play acting, feigning injury.etc

He was commentating on a MENS football match played by 22 MEN. To suggest he was saying it’s a man’s game and therefore it’s not a woman’s game is an absolute nonsense.
    Far too much common sense spoken there. The PC brigade won't be happy

Quote Originally Posted by RedofHeaven View Post
    That reads like you have a problem with equality.
    Depends what you mean by "equality" ... Equal opportunities or equal outcomes achieved through quotas etc... What do you mean by equality?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I got it!
    free drink at the bar!

For those who may find this stuff interesting: Eric quoted my post before I'd corrected the ryk and it was still rye. I know. Melon-twisting or what?

Hatchet men like Souness? He was a terrific footballer, he had the lot for a midfielder - he could tackle, pass, shoot. He went and played in Italy when it was the best league in the world, at a time very few British players got that opportunity.
    No argument from me there.
    He was a great player.

He would have had to tone down a lot of what he was good at in todays game however.
    Even though football has become a bit too mamby pamby, one can understand why it had to evolve from Souness's day.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    If it's the one that was commentating on the Womens Euro final then I couldn't agree more.

I have no problem with women's football. I didn't watch the Euros, but I'd definitely watch the USWNT in the World Cup or the Olympics on TV. I probably wouldn't bother with a club game though. What annoys me is when a women's team are just referred to as "Manchester City" or "Arsenal". They wouldn't refer to Man City under 23s as such so why do it for the women's team? I saw a report in the Guardian that alluded to something along the lines of "the Lionesses winning the Euros in better than when England won the World Cup. What a load of bollocks.

I don't see what the problem with female officials is. There are female coppers, lawyers, doctors etc. There may be a difference between genders in physical prowess, but there are no differences in critical thinking and exercising good judgment.

Also, all that nonsense about ending a 56-year drought is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I have no problem with women's football. I didn't watch the Euros, but I'd definitely watch the USWNT in the World Cup or the Olympics on TV. I probably wouldn't bother with a club game though. What annoys me is when a women's team are just referred to as "Manchester City" or "Arsenal". They wouldn't refer to Man City under 23s as such so why do it for the women's team? I saw a report in the Guardian that alluded to something along the lines of "the Lionesses winning the Euros in better than when England won the World Cup. What a load of bollocks.
    Absolutely ridiculous. Some people would genuinely declare you a misogynist for thinking anything other than that though.

I enjoyed the Womens Euros and pleased to see the game grow, but I've no interest in being part of some kind of social engineering project.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Absolutely ridiculous. Some people would genuinely declare you a misogynist for thinking anything other than that though.

I enjoyed the Womens Euros and pleased to see the game grow, but I've no interest in being part of some kind of social engineering project.
    It was probably an opinion piece, no more, no less. To some people, the women winning the Euro's would be bigger than 1966. It's a personal thing. Nobody is telling anyone how to think

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Was that the article by the guy who had covered woman's football for over 20 years as a reporter and had witnessed its rise from obscurity to a game filling Wembley? If so It seemed like a very personal perspective based on his career covering the women’s game.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Was that the article by the guy who had covered woman's football for over 20 years as a reporter and had witnessed its rise from obscurity to a game filling Wembley? If so It seemed like a very personal perspective based on his career covering the women’s game.

Yes I have to agree with the flower man this place has become hysterical. I wish my muscle memory would stop me clicking on the web icon. Life’s too short to waste on here reading people getting hysterical for nothing.

Context is everything, Souness meant it was a man’s game from the physical aspect and in modern times we had somehow moved away from it with a lot of play acting, feigning injury.etc

He was commentating on a MENS football match played by 22 MEN. To suggest he was saying it’s a man’s game and therefore it’s not a woman’s game is an absolute nonsense.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It was probably an opinion piece, no more, no less. To some people, the women winning the Euro's would be bigger than 1966. It's a personal thing. Nobody is telling anyone how to think
    I agree with you there. It's more the slightly Orwellian elements on the side where you can't really criticise the game. And I enjoyed it as I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Blue View Post
    I think it's more a case of a very small number of incels infecting this board. It may well only be 2 or 3 but using multiple log ins. The boards moderator has failed to spot this or, more likely, is supportive of their views. This thread sums up the consequence of his inaction.

The modern world terrifies them. Change is always bad and they feel threatened. They see conspiracy theories everywhere. They are the true snowflakes, scared of their own shadow.

Quite a few sane, sensible posters have left of late and I can't say I blame them.
    That statement is simply not true.

If someone is upsetting you then offer a better counter argument or report directly to me with specific incidents where people cross the line.

The moderation is loose to allow people to express themselves and be educated if they are in the wrong. It's not a dictatorship on here. Your views are the story, not my policing.

I don't like multi's and I'm a bit shit in spotting them. But once alerted I can investigate.

If you have an issue with moderation then that's my responsibility.

Who is the dark haired Scottish lass on final score ? 🤔