+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Souness

Re: Souness

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Have you done a survey on that? I think most women I know who are rugby fans would rather read about the ongoing Rugby Championship or the forthcoming domestic seasons tbh. You also know this.

The BBC's job is to present the news, not read like a jehovahs witness pamphlet trying to convert us. It's the kind of thing that actually undermines the sports progress - as evidenced by this thread which contains much negativity, unlike the European CHampionships themselves.
    F*cking hell James. That post is so you on steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder’s Mam View Post
    A few stories about women’s rugby is pushing an extreme agenda. **** me you need to get out of the house.
    You still posting on here this late? Hope the dishes, ironing and hoovering are all done!!

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    You still posting on here this late? Hope the dishes, ironing and hoovering are all done!!
    Almost, be up to help with your pjs in 5

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder’s Mam View Post
    Almost, be up to help with your pjs in 5
    0.01 posts per day since May 2019, and then full metal jacket on this thread today. Has a nerve been touched?

Of course I can. On one side it's a chance to push a rather extreme agenda of equality and on the other is a sports website giving people the sports news they generally want to read.

I understand the argument, I just think it's rather ridiculous and probably counter-proudctive.
    That’s not describing two sides of an argument and finding a balance. Both points support your own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    That’s not describing two sides of an argument and finding a balance. Both points support your own opinion.
    No it isn't. I don't support the editorial position the BBC is taking. Thats the other position; that in the name of equality, womens rugby news should be pushed above mens rugby news, even though there is less interest, in order to create more interest.

I don't agree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    F*cking hell James. That post is so you on steroids.
    I put some steroid cream on my hands for eczema funnily enough.

Nonetheless, it is not the case that female womens rugby fans would prefer to read news from women's rugby. You can assess this anecdotally by virtue of there being 30,000 sparkly cowboy hats in town on a mens rugby day, versus about 300 for a womens..

Of course I can. On one side it's a chance to push a rather extreme agenda of equality and on the other is a sports website giving people the sports news they generally want to read.

I understand the argument, I just think it's rather ridiculous and probably counter-proudctive.
    James, you've lost it. This makes no sense. The opposite would be inequality. Or are we doing the Animal Farm bollux here? All sports are equal but some are more equal than others. Read the Equality Act I posted earlier.

No it isn't. I don't support the editorial position the BBC is taking. Thats the other position; that in the name of equality, womens rugby news should be pushed above mens rugby news, even though there is less interest, in order to create more interest.

I don't agree with it.
    For the love of god leave the house I’m begging you

I put some steroid cream on my hands for eczema funnily enough.

Nonetheless, it is not the case that female womens rugby fans would prefer to read news from women's rugby. You can assess this anecdotally by virtue of there being 30,000 sparkly cowboy hats in town on a mens rugby day, versus about 300 for a womens..
    30,000 men in sparkly cowboy hats! How is that any kind of metric?

So you guys are perfectly happy with the top three stories on the BBC's Rugby Union page all failing to reflect what people are generally a lot less interested in?

No, the opposite is giving people what they want and not trying to push an agenda in the sports pages of a website.

So you guys are perfectly happy with the top three stories on the BBC's Rugby Union page all failing to reflect what people are generally a lot less interested in?
    Yeah but isn’t maybe the case that a lot more people are interested in men’s sport because that’s what’s been publicised and reported on for all this time? So in ten years time and 3000 front page articles on the BBC Sport website later there might be a 50/50 split in interest between men and women’s? Not saying that’ll definitely be the case but going “there’s no interest in it” when it’s barely been reported on isn’t entirely fair. Give it a chance, it’s easy not to click on the things that don’t interest you, as proven by me never even knowing about the existence of those links until now

Also going back to footie, women’s football was getting crowds of 53000 in 1921, who’s to say where the game would be now had it not been banned https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30329606

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Yeah but isn’t maybe the case that a lot more people are interested in men’s sport because that’s what’s been publicised and reported on for all this time? So in ten years time and 3000 front page articles on the BBC Sport website later there might be a 50/50 split in interest between men and women’s? Not saying that’ll definitely be the case but going “there’s no interest in it” when it’s barely been reported on isn’t entirely fair. Give it a chance, it’s easy not to click on the things that don’t interest you, as proven by me never even knowing about the existence of those links until now

Also going back to footie, women’s football was getting crowds of 53000 in 1921, who’s to say where the game would be now had it not been banned https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30329606
    Indeed, but that is the point; it's pushing an agenda when that isn't the BBC sports websites job. It may be the RFUs, or Governments, but it's not the BBC Sports job, when people just want to read the news they generally are interested in, and the BBC is failing there.

I love the excellent coverage given to the Womens 6 Nations, but treating Harlequins womens team signing someone as greater than all the other transfers going on is just borderline gaslighting. We know that people aren't as interested so why pretend they are?

A particular concern given this is the BBC is whether the News values is also influenced by other agendas, ie giving greater prominence to certain stories over others.

The reality now is that I probably will turn to the BBC rugby pages for news less and less, so no one wins (except Planet Rugby perhaps)

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Apparently been on Talksport saying he doesn't regret his comments.
    Good on him, there's plenty of us blokes that are sick of the women's game being shoved down our throats.

Never the twain should meet.

Different levels of physicality and men's football should have that fiery edge to it.

Stick your women's football in the bin.

Whilst his comments were intended to be a reference towards the refereeing and physicality, it certainly seemed a veiled dig at the above and fair play to him. Many want to say it on TV but wouldn't have the balls.

Stick the women on a separate show, leave our side of the game alone.
    Technical ability is far more interesting and entertaining than people kicking lumps out of each other. There will be women in the future who are as technically good as Messi or Maradonna. When that day arrives and opinions like yours are consigned to the trash can of unsavoury elements that plagued out past , women's football will live alongside men's football as an equally attractive "product" , much in the same way it does in sports like tennis or athletics or something.

That to one side, Souness is really missing the point and comes across as a total cock. The OP's comments take that numbskullery to another level.

It's just a shame that my one year old daughter will probably have to put with this type of crap as people like this continue teach youngsters that it's acceptable to belittle someone based on the fact they have a vagina and not a "set of balls".

ok! it had to get to this eventually, what is a woman?

Indeed, but that is the point; it's pushing an agenda when that isn't the BBC sports websites job. It may be the RFUs, or Governments, but it's not the BBC Sports job, when people just want to read the news they generally are interested in, and the BBC is failing there.

I love the excellent coverage given to the Womens 6 Nations, but treating Harlequins womens team signing someone as greater than all the other transfers going on is just borderline gaslighting. We know that people aren't as interested so why pretend they are?

A particular concern given this is the BBC is whether the News values is also influenced by other agendas, ie giving greater prominence to certain stories over others.

The reality now is that I probably will turn to the BBC rugby pages for news less and less, so no one wins (except Planet Rugby perhaps)
    The BBC is funded by taxpayers , half of whom are women. Women's sports should receive equal exposure.

Do you know that there are specific websites, sections of websites and other media dedicated exclusively to specific teams and gender specific sports. It is not difficult to find these sources.

Ninja's opinions...sorry "points", reminds me of this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    adult human female ?
    You need help. Desperately, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Ninja's opinions...sorry "points", reminds me of this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

I'd think it funny if your assessment of me wasn't so stupid.
    I see that we're now getting points on this thread about how a woman might one day be comparable to Ronaldo!
    F@ck me, I must have woken up in an alternate universe. Since when were women physically comparable to Ronaldo?
    I'm all for a good debate lads, but come on!!

Technical ability is far more interesting and entertaining than people kicking lumps out of each other. There will be women in the future who are as technically good as Messi or Maradonna. When that day arrives and opinions like yours are consigned to the trash can of unsavoury elements that plagued out past , women's football will live alongside men's football as an equally attractive "product" , much in the same way it does in sports like tennis or athletics or something.
    I'm sorry man, genuinely I am, but I'm going to go to sleep still laughing at this
    You've made my night, top marks

The BBC is funded by taxpayers , half of whom are women. Women's sports should receive equal exposure.

Do you know that there are specific websites, sections of websites and other media dedicated exclusively to specific teams and gender specific sports. It is not difficult to find these sources.
    Thats a fairly absurd take in my opinion - so the BBC should be driven not by news or what people are interested in, but by demographics? So Manchester City winning a game should have no more prominence than Arsenal ladies winning a game because ha;f the population are female?

The BBC seems to be going down that route, and if it does it will spell disaster as it will just become irrelevant to most.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Is souness an alcoholic ?

He was a great player but a thug
    He was a great footballer. And an old-fashioned midfield hard man. Isn't that the sort of thing you like?