+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate your top six Football commentators pundits

International

Re: Rate your top six Football commentators pundits

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Not everyones cup of team but I always thought Craig Bellamy
    gave great insights and explanations from his own experiences.

Laura Woods and Gabby Logan present and host the shows particularly well.
    Agreed, Bellamy especially is brilliant

Bellamy was superb, sadly fell victim to the PC Brigade.

Lianne Sanderson

BLOODY AWFUL - that cockernee drawl

And its not anti black lesbian stuff - she's ruddy awful and I turn over whenever she's on

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Make that 4, hes very knowledgeable and does his research. Yeah he talks a bit mandem but if you can understand what hes saying hes actually pretty good.
    Wow - this topic shows up such a diverse range of opinions.

I think that he is absolutely appalling - a babbling, inarticulate idiot that offers zero insight, and with even worse diction. Just dreadful and ruins (for me) any game that he is on.

On a different note, aside from Neville, there are very few pundits that add anything for me personally, which is fine when they are in the studio as you can choose to watch before, after and at HT (I don't btw). However, not being able to chose an audio channel, like we were able to during the pandemic, is a huge oversight on the part of TV companies (that I pay a lot of money to every month) as there is no avoiding a co-commentator that you don't like. For example, having to watch a game with Karen Carney or Clinton Morrison for example on co-comms, completely spoils any game for me.

Especially when it would be so simple to offer alternative audio channels other than the mute button (which is a bit rubbish)
    Last edited by Bobby Dandruff; 16-08-22 at 12:05. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Jobi Mcanuff is decent. Liam Rosenior is also very good, but doesnt do as much pundit work since he went into coaching with Derby.
    Liam Rosenior I lost all respect for when Greg Gunningham was the victim of an horrendous tackle I believe against Brighton. Ref gave a straight red and rightly so as hes lucky his leg wasnt snapped. Rosenior tried to argue it wasnt a red and Cunningham somehow was partly to blame.

Agree on McAnuff.

I usually agree with a lot of what Don Goodman says. And Lee Hendrie always does his research and doesn't just go along with the obvious narrative (which is surprising as he came across as a total knob when he was a player).

Gary Neville is good when he's not talking about United and I always like Slaven Bilic when he does World Cups or the Euros.

Clinton Morrison is hilarious, half the time I reckon he's stoned

The other day on 5 live there was a disturbance in the crowd and he said hey man what's going on everybody just needs to chill !

Ken Wolstenholme
    Idwal Roblin
    Barry Davies
    Saint & Greavsie
    John Motsom

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Ken Wolstenholme
    Idwal Roblin
    Barry Davies
    Saint & Greavsie
    John Motsom
    Idwal was crap

Watching Wales Scotland 1977 at a field on the box with my old man and mates

Pre match warm up

Dave Jones warming up

Idwal says ...." gosh dave Jones at centre back looks just like John toshack ! "

Fellow Commentator " er Idwal that is John Toshack "

In no particular order:

Bellamy
    Ludlow
    Keane
    Carragher
    Neville
    Hoddle

Saint & Greavsie
    Ludlow & Scott
    Carragher & Bob Carolgees

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    I usually agree with a lot of what Don Goodman says. And Lee Hendrie always does his research and doesn't just go along with the obvious narrative (which is surprising as he came across as a total knob when he was a player).

Gary Neville is good when he's not talking about United and I always like Slaven Bilic when he does World Cups or the Euros.
    I agree with all of that - except I also think Gary Neville is good when he’s laying into Man U.

Not changing my top six though, and even more so after reading the Clinton Morrison knocking posts. Some people just don’t recognise genius when it’s right in front of them .

I can't tell if you're all joking about Clinton Morrison or not, bloke's dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Colin'sReversibleHat View Post
    I can't tell if you're all joking about Clinton Morrison or not, bloke's dreadful
    He was only arksing

I quite like Clinton Morrison.
    Knows his stuff and has a GSOH.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Bianca Westwood

I quite like Lineker, shearer and wright. They'll have a bit of a chat without taking themselves too seriously. Will never understand the fascination with Neville. His main 'act' appears to be looking at a passage of play and then saying 'i knew that would happen'.

Got to be honest mind I miss as much of the commentary and punditry as I can. Turn on at kick off and switch off as the final whistle blows

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    I quite like Lineker, shearer and wright. They'll have a bit of a chat without taking themselves too seriously. Will never understand the fascination with Neville. His main 'act' appears to be looking at a passage of play and then saying 'i knew that would happen'.

Got to be honest mind I miss as much of the commentary and punditry as I can. Turn on at kick off and switch off as the final whistle blows
    Can't stand Shearer and Lineker personally although I like Ian Wright.
    Lineker tries too hard to be a comedian, Shearer completely wooden.

I agree with you about trying to not watch much of the punditry, although I tend to watch BT Sport with Glen Hoddle.
    Great player and knows his stuff, he's especially good at spotting detail that only a player could comment on as oppose to people who have simply watched all their lives.
    There seems to be plenty of them around.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Can't stand Shearer and Lineker personally although I like Ian Wright.
    Lineker tries too hard to be a comedian, Shearer completely wooden.

I agree with you about trying to not watch much of the punditry, although I tend to watch BT Sport with Glen Hoddle.
    Great player and knows his stuff, he's especially good at spotting detail that only a player could comment on as oppose to people who have simply watched all their lives.
    There seems to be plenty of them around.
    Good shout on hoddle actually, he's pretty good. Although I think I'm normally disappointed waiting for him to say something religiously motivated and career shattering again. He seems to have learnt his lesson and just talks about football now unfortunately. That academy he was running had great reviews aswell, and got a few players back into the game if I remember rightly.

I know someone who worked at Sky Sports with Carra, they say he is completely obsessed. He'll watch 3/4 games a day, reads loads of books, articles etc on football. He's not for everyone but he really puts the time in.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I know someone who worked at Sky Sports with Carra, they say he is completely obsessed. He'll watch 3/4 games a day, reads loads of books, articles etc on football. He's not for everyone but he really puts the time in.
    I like him, he knows what he is talking about, explains things well and uses his magic screen well. He speaks well (for a scouser) and I notice he is polite. He always looks at whoever is talking and never interrupts, which I think is very good.

Watching him as a player I'd have never reckoned he would be as good as he is at this.

Jamie Carragher makes my skin crawl.

That squeeky scouse voice hurts my ears and there are times when I genuinely cannot understand what he is saying as he talks so quickly with that thick accent.

As for his punditry, he's Liverpool this, Liverpool that and draws on his past experiences. Never won the league and got a CL medal after finishing, what was it 5th in the league?

Carragher's not a patch on Gary Neville who speaks clearly, eloquently, very good at debating and draws on massive experience from being a serial winner.

While he wasn't a pundit, Colin Murray was absolutely fantastic presenting the EFL on Quest.

ally mccoist, gary neville, jamie carragher, roy keane,nedum onuoha, danny murphy.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    ally mccoist, gary neville, jamie carragher, roy keane,nedum onuoha, danny murphy.
    Nedum Onuoha is excellent on whichever podcasts they get him on (Football Weekly or Totally Football Show)

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I agree with all of that - except I also think Gary Neville is good when he’s laying into Man U.

Not changing my top six though, and even more so after reading the Clinton Morrison knocking posts. Some people just don’t recognise genius when it’s right in front of them .
    Surprise Surprise