+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Emergency alert system to launch in October across Great Britain

Emergency alert system to launch in October across Great Britain

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62549122

All to do with potential major emergency situations apparently. Interesting that "Officials would not discuss the arrangements for warning the population of an impending military or nuclear attack on the country". Uhm.

Can't help thinking how the ring tone reminds me of the spooky sound at the end of the Protect and Survive videos from the 70's!

Re: Emergency alert system to launch in October across Great Britain

This is what they use in the US. They test it so often, you just end up tuning it out.

I hope these warnings wont happen on saturday afternoons between 3 and 5. My phone pings enough as it it without some boring flood news.

This is not a test.

This is your emergency broadcast system announcing the commencement of the annual purge.

We were in a bar in Greece a couple of months ago and everybody’s phone pinged at the same time. Was a text about a storm approaching.

We wondered how they got my wife’s mobile as I booked everything but it seems they can send it to any smart phone that is switched on.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    We were in a bar in Greece a couple of months ago and everybody’s phone pinged at the same time. Was a text about a storm approaching.

We wondered how they got my wife’s mobile as I booked everything but it seems they can send it to any smart phone that is switched on.
    "Why does everyone have your phone number darling?"

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    This is what they use in the US. They test it so often, you just end up tuning it out.

Yes I recall getting one on my mobile whilst in Florida a few years back, weather related high winds etc….

Ah...another reason why I am happy not to have/use a mobile phone....I can go to oblivion in ignorant bliss.....

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post

They send the msg to every mast; the mast sends it to every phone in range, doesn't need the actual number.

Anyone remember that fake alert they accidentally sent out to Hawaii to say out there was a nuclear strike incoming, they actually had the words 'this is not a test' on the alert. They ended up with kids hiding in drains, someone definitely got sacked for that.

I was just a bit intrigued by the timing of all this. Nothing to do with the situation in Ukraine and the extreme animosity of Russia towards the West I suppose?

I thought we already had this, as we all received texts about the first lockdown, but apparently the government had to ask mobile networks to send it on their behalf.
    Makes sense to have it available if needed.