+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FT: WEST BROMWICH ALBION 0 - 0 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: FT: WEST BROMWICH ALBION 0 - 0 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    That's great support on a Wednesday night

I suppose its a similar distance trip to Reading?
    Depending on where you start...yes! Hawthorns is my closest home or away trip. Train on time, home 20 minutes ago. Makes up for all the hours driving to home matches.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    It felt like more. Excellent support as always. As nil nils go..not too bad a performance given the scratch team.
    Scratch team ? Please explain. Doesn't make sense. Only Kipre was not available.

Depending on where you start...yes! Hawthorns is my closest home or away trip. Train on time, home 20 minutes ago. Makes up for all the hours driving to home matches.
    Where you living mate ?

My old man was brought up in Yardley, Birmingham City country

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    That's fantastic.

Great point..but possibly the worst WBA team I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Scratch team ? Please explain. Doesn't make sense. Only Kipre was not available.
    we had a centreback who hasn’t had a pre season and had not played any games of any kind this season before tonight, O’Dowda had to play left back for virtually the whole game and Ralls is, as they say these days, “undercooked” .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    we had a centreback who hasn’t had a pre season and had not played any games of any kind this season before tonight, O’Dowda had to play left back for virtually the whole game and Ralls is, as they say these days, “undercooked” .
    We fielded the best available team from our squad with only Kipre unavailable from last Saturday (not because he was injured) and first team squad members Ralls, who is team captain, with Ojo in for the only other changes, presumably to give Sawyers and Odowda a rest. Odowda came in after a few minutes due to injury but he has played left sided defender on a number of times in the past at this level. That is hardly a ‘scratch team’ is it ? To assist the online definition of ‘scratch team’ is - ‘A scratch team is a team, usually in sport, brought together on a temporary basis, composed of players who normally play for different sides. A game played between two scratch teams may be called a scratch match.’ Thought with all your extensive football knowledge you would have realised all that.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Where you living mate ?

My old man was brought up in Yardley, Birmingham City country
    I'm in South Staffs.

We fielded the best available team from our squad with only Kipre unavailable from last Saturday (not because he was injured) and first team squad members Ralls, who is team captain, with Ojo in for the only other changes, presumably to give Sawyers and Odowda a rest. Odowda came in after a few minutes due to injury but he has played left sided defender on a number of times in the past at this level. That is hardly a ‘scratch team’ is it ? To assist the online definition of ‘scratch team’ is - ‘A scratch team is a team, usually in sport, brought together on a temporary basis, composed of players who normally play for different sides. A game played between two scratch teams may be called a scratch match.’ Thought with all your extensive football knowledge you would have realised all that.
    Even for you this is a weird hill to die on

I was thinking more "starting from scratch"....which all team selections have been this season given our recent number of signings. That said....something of a scratch team at the end. No idea what formation we were playing in rhe last 10 minutes as it all got a bit hectic. Good to see us leave one up front when defending a corner. A well-earned point. So close to three.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Even for you this is a weird hill to die on
    I thought he’d have been all over it, ‘Cardiff City reserves batter WBA, what a great squad we have, only drawback was that those nasty Baggies fans were singing right next to us, creating an atmosphere, instead of being forcibly marched to the other end’.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I thought he’d have been all over it, ‘Cardiff City reserves batter WBA, what a great squad we have, only drawback was that those nasty Baggies fans were singing right next to us, creating an atmosphere, instead of being forcibly marched to the other end’.
    DML AUTODEFEND must have kicked in and he leapt to the defence of the club even though no one was insulting them and were in fact giving them credit

No shots on target is a worry.

But potentially an excellent point.

Defending very well. To think a similar wba team beat us 4 nil at our place last season.

Sort out some more options going forward and we could have a decent season.

I expected the worst going into this game. Kept seeing how WBA have been playing well but just haven't been getting the results. It had all the makings of a "WBA have arrived" game, especially with our scratch team.

A well-earned point. So close to three.
    A well-earned point certainly, but so close to three? How so? City didn’t have a single shot on target and every report I’ve read has suggested a 0-0 draw was the right result.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    No shots on target is a worry.

But potentially an excellent point.

Defending very well. To think a similar wba team beat us 4 nil at our place last season..
    City also drew 1-1 at the Hawthorns last season.

West Brom finished 10th in 21/22. Are they likely to do much better this season? Maybe, but I suspect it’s their name rather than the quality of their team which meant they were among the pre-season favourites for promotion.

The Championship really does look wide open this season. At this stage it looks almost impossible to identify the top teams.

Its a very promising start to the season.

I think most of us would have taken an improvement in the football and playing style while staying comfortably in the league and avoiding a relegation scrap.

Early signs are im very optimistic we will achieve those.

There was always the danger that with such a high turnover of players and implementing a new style we could have sunk.

The likes of Rino , Sawyers , Kipre and Collins (will be a huge loss) look excellent signings. Romeo and O Dowda have also been excellent. Maybe the change of club is what they needed.

Add in Ojo and Philagene and a full season of Ryan Wintle ( what was McCarthy doing loaning him out)theres reasons to be optimistic about a good season.

I think if we signed a top Championship standard striker we could get top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    City also drew 1-1 at the Hawthorns last season.

West Brom finished 10th in 21/22. Are they likely to do much better this season? Maybe, but I suspect it’s their name rather than the quality of their team which meant they were among the pre-season favourites for promotion.

The Championship really does look wide open this season. At this stage it looks almost impossible to identify the top teams.
    Their team is very good for this division

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    A well-earned point certainly, but so close to three? How so? City didn’t have a single shot on target and every report I’ve read has suggested a 0-0 draw was the right result.
    A couple of just off target shots. A few feet to the right and we could have come home with three points....even with just the one shot on target. Close but no carnage in the away end.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    But like us, they don't have a striker. I think if either side had Kieffer Moore, they'd have won last night. But neither did, so it was a draw . We're just crying out for a striker. It's going to be really, really difficult for all our wingers and centre mids to chip in with 8/10 goals that we'll need them to.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    That remains to be seen. Their team looked decent enough on paper last season, but they finished 10th and were well short of the play-offs.

I notice they shipped Mowatt out to Middlesbrough last week, which surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    DML AUTODEFEND must have kicked in and he leapt to the defence of the club even though no one was insulting them and were in fact giving them credit

When WBA signed John Swift from Reading, I really thought he might be the difference between them being 'also-rans' to playoff contenders, at least. I felt he was the sort of marque signing I'd like us to have made, although I realise his wages would probably have been a stumbling block.
    However, he was fairly ineffective against us last night and perusing their message boards, it seems he's been anonymous in their other games too.

They've got some quality players in Wallace, Diangana, Zohore....

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    When WBA signed John Swift from Reading, I really thought he might be the difference between them being 'also-rans' to playoff contenders, at least. I felt he was the sort of marque signing I'd like us to have made, although I realise his wages would probably have been a stumbling block. However, he was fairly ineffective against us last night and perusing their message boards, it seems he's been anonymous in their other games too.
    Swift is 27, Wallace is 28. Both are decent players by Championship standards, but neither has ever appeared to be destined for the step-up to the Premier League.

The majority of the players in West Brom’s current squad seem to fall into the same category - decent Championship players, but not good enough for the next level.