+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WSL

WSL

Big season coming up after the Euros

Who's everyone's tips for the title, predictions for the drop, new players to see etc?

Would be nice if City could make a push to get a couple of promotions and get involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022%E...s_Super_League

Re: WSL

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Who's everyone's tips for the title, predictions for the drop, new players to see etc?

Would be nice if City could make a push to get a couple of promotions and get involved.

Can't work out why there's no interest in this thread when the women's game has been so hyped over the summer.

Is it because no one has any knowledge on the subject? That's never been an issue for some of the lifestyle, political, footballing aficionados before?

Is it because everyone's attention has been taken up with the Souness thread where the frothing of the mouth of some has no doubt drenched their feet in spittle and saliva?

Or doesn't anyone really give a phuck?

I enjoyed the euros, can't really see myself watching any WSL unless Cardiff were involved and I know more of the players. also if there is more coverage and visibility of the women's game.
    seems to be moving in that direction though so maybe in a few years.

The euros were great and I'm looking forward to Wales v Slovenia on 6th Sept, but yes I have limited interest in the WSL. Quite likely crowds will be up by about 100% this season mind. Technically the game is substantially a lot better than a decade or so ago.

I really enjoyed the euros and I think the standard of the womens game is excellent

I am a women's football glory seeker though , if CCFC womens were in a final and it was on the telly I would watch it

But that would be it

But if the womens game picks up and people get enjoyment out of it , that's cool 😎

I don't actively follow any of the sports featured in The Commonwealth Games. I did actually watch quite a lot of it though and was happy they were showcased to encourage interest in and possibly participation by others in future inspired by the competitors achievements.

You hear quite a lot of stories beginning "I remember watching so and so on tv when I was little...." so hopefully it's helps to grow interest and support for more minority sports.

I have occasionally stuck around after MOTD to watch the WSL highlights show and it's a pretty stark contrast coming straight after MOTD. I feel like this is large part due to the production values, time slot, half empty, third division type stadia, limited camera angles.

I'm convinced that the WSL would be much more appealing if it had the the same flashy visuals, camera angles, basically everything that MOTD has. As far as generating decent crowds and hosting games in modern facilities goes, that would require a bit more thought. I just feel that the technical values of how the league is presented can be improved a fair bit.

England’s success at the Euros has advanced womens football massively.

I’m going to my first Wales Women’s game next month. When I first looked at tickets pre Euros they had 3 blocks open in the Ninian, half sold. Now they’ve got 7 blocks open which are almost entirely sold out. Plus 2 blocks in the Canton stand. Probably looking at a near 10k crowd which is nearly double the previous record attendance.

I keep an eye on Wales’s results but don’t really follow it for the same reason I don’t watch the Copa America or African Cup of Nations - between my City season tickets and my Wales tournament tickets and my more than passing interest in the Premier League I’ve got enough football in my life.

Saying that my eldest niece who’s 9 is football mad and has started getting really interested in the Welsh women’s team so I’ll probably get more involved with that so we can chat about it

I keep an eye on Wales’s results but don’t really follow it for the same reason I don’t watch the Copa America or African Cup of Nations - between my City season tickets and my Wales tournament tickets and my more than passing interest in the Premier League I’ve got enough football in my life.

Saying that my eldest niece who’s 9 is football mad and has started getting really interested in the Welsh women’s team so I’ll probably get more involved with that so we can chat about it

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post

I think this is part of the problem. I have a deep interest in football, from non league, welsh prem, most european leagues, internationals, the football league, obviously Cardiff City, the finances, culture, results, all of it..

I don't really have time to replicate that all.

That said, I will find room for elite womens football. I love wikipedia and found myself googling the WSL and the Womens european championships this summer - for example I had no idea Germany had won it so many times, now I do.

I watched Great Britain in the 2012 olympics in the Millennium Stadium. I think there was 25,000 there, and the standard was poor compared to the Euros just gone.

Record season ticket sales for WSL teams. Arsenal v Spurs already sold 45,000 tickets.

Seems there will be a genuine legacy from the Euro's and that spreads to Wales too as we saw with the crowd for Wales v Slovenia last week

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62796563

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Can't work out why there's no interest in this thread when the women's game has been so hyped over the summer.

Is it because no one has any knowledge on the subject? That's never been an issue for some of the lifestyle, political, footballing aficionados before?

Is it because everyone's attention has been taken up with the Souness thread where the frothing of the mouth of some has no doubt drenched their feet in spittle and saliva?

Or doesn't anyone really give a phuck?
    I watched the Wales Slovenia game on and off. It was awful. They didn't even look like they'd played the game before. No doubt following Women's football is the trendy thing to be seen doing.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I watched the Wales Slovenia game on and off. It was awful. They didn't even look like they'd played the game before. No doubt following Women's football is the trendy thing to be seen doing.
    Funnily enough I've watched a lot of our men's games and thought the same!

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I went and had a good time. The quality was bad but not that bad, definitely a step below what we normally see at the CCS.

I will say the atmosphere was better overall. When the Canton gets going it’s much better for Cardiff games but we tend to have some moments of near silence. The wales game had a constant buzz of background singing, clapping, cheering, etc. The drummer at the back of the Canton was also so so so much better than the dross we have for Cardiff games.

I definitely think the club could take a leaf from the FAW’s book in regards to fan engagement. There was a group of ~30 kids one block over from me, presumably from a school that had been given free tickets. They had a sheet of paper with a few of the songs and chants written down so they could join in. All had some sort of Wales scarf/hat/shirt which might have been loaned to them but it wouldn’t surprise me if they’d been given them to keep. There was another group in the Ninian with I assume a similar deal with the FAW.

If I was one of those 10 year old kids I would’ve had an absolute blast and be begging my parents to go to the next game. That’s some potential fans for life the FAW have secured for very little effort and expense.

Arsenal thrash Spurs in front of record 47,367 crowd.

4-0

The tide has turned fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post

4-0

Don’t reckon Spurs will challenge the Arse again then?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Don’t reckon Spurs will challenge the Arse again then?
    It would make for an interesting headline! 'Spurs thrash the Arse!'

I read somewhere as well that tickets were £12 for adults. Now that clearly is cheap compared to mens premier league games, but it's not that cheap. That's not far off the prices charged for some first teams (mens) games in the league cup or FA cup. The womens game is clearly in a position that it really was no where near to even 3-4 years ago.

Sell out Wembley for England v USA too.

It would make for an interesting headline! 'Spurs thrash the Arse!'
    Those cowboys were cruel to their women.

4-0

Noticed plenty of Arsenal gear about on a busy tube when I was heading out to Buckinghamshire yesterday. Will likely take a game in at some point this season when they play at the Emirates again whilst both of Spurs’ grounds are close to where I live - I think there are two Welsh women in Spurs’ squad too.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Um this thread has been going 6 weeks or so now.

Is nobody going to mention city play in the
    Welsh pyramid so the WSL isn't an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Um this thread has been going 6 weeks or so now.

Is nobody going to mention city play in the
    Welsh pyramid so the WSL isn't an option?
    There is also a Cardiff team (not linked with the city) that play in the English set up I believe.

I've tried to enjoy it sadly I don't, goalkeeping and defensive skills are not great .. teams winning 11 nil is like old schools footy