+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Energy Guzzlers Hope This Helps

Energy Guzzlers Hope This Helps

Air Con / Heating the real bad boys biggest consumer of energy in your home could cost
    it may use 72kWh in a day, costing £4,967.65 a year / £13.61 every day. ( Thermals , blankets , don't heat unused rooms ,stop walking around in ones bundies )

Water heating: cost around £828.55 over the course of a year, if used every day. ( quick showers )

Fridge Freezer : 24 hours a day needs 180 watts per hour to run, needs 4.32 kWh to run for 24 hours.£299.30 pa ( don't buy big fridges )

Dishwasher : 1800 watts per hour x two hours a day = 3.6 kWh £240.20 if used daily for a year (use the sink )

Oven: oven is not the most expensive appliance to run, opening and closing the door can be costly though . an hour a day. needs 2,400 watts average oven , requires 2.4 kWh for one hour costs about £164.25 to use daily for a year.
    ( microwave more , eat cold food like fruit /salads ,bread )

Stay alive be strong

Re: Energy Guzzlers Hope This Helps

"As long as you only run your dishwasher once it’s fully loaded, it should cost you less than hand-washing."

Unless you are Bear Grylls and you wash your dishes in the local river

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Air Con / Heating the real bad boys biggest consumer of energy in your home could cost
    it may use 72kWh in a day, costing £4,967.65 a year / £13.61 every day. ( Thermals , blankets , don't heat unused rooms ,stop walking around in ones bundies )

Water heating: cost around £828.55 over the course of a year, if used every day. ( quick showers )

Fridge Freezer : 24 hours a day needs 180 watts per hour to run, needs 4.32 kWh to run for 24 hours.£299.30 pa ( don't buy big fridges )

Dishwasher : 1800 watts per hour x two hours a day = 3.6 kWh £240.20 if used daily for a year (use the sink )

Oven: oven is not the most expensive appliance to run, opening and closing the door can be costly though . an hour a day. needs 2,400 watts average oven , requires 2.4 kWh for one hour costs about £164.25 to use daily for a year.

Stay alive be strong
    My missus seems to spend lots of time putting the rechargeable batteries on charge. Not sure how much this would cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    My missus seems to spend lots of time putting the rechargeable batteries on charge. Not sure how much this would cost.
    Not sure but I reckon you should charge her.
    A certain R Giggs would charge his, at the very least...but may well himself end up charged.

Anyway, re the OP interesting read and worth sharing

International

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Stay alive be strong
    Not doubting your figures but what family size are those figures based on?
    I live in a 2 Bed small house.
    I'm the dishwasher.
    My wife works nights and spends most of the following day in bed. My son and I are out all day so the heating in winter is on for about 5 hours a day if that. Never have heating on in the bedrooms, don't like it, mostly just on in the bathroom and kitchen.
    Your fridge freezer uses less power if its full. (The rising cost of food can be offset by the money you save on electricity by keeping your fridge freezer full of food )
    the biggest cost is heating water, my wife takes at least 1 shower a day and it normally lasts at least 15 minutes, and my son the same. (I'm more a 5 minute person)
    Washing machine is probably on 4 times a week but some of those short cycles. But that means the tumble dryer is on more than I would like.
    Rarely watch TV although stupidly it is always on standby, but often 3 computer running and 4 phones charging at once. We also have all the other things a normal house has, vacuum cleaner, lights, fryers, grill, cooker (Gas hob electric oven)and all the little gadgets you plug in without thinking about it

My combined energy standing order works out at £5.26 a day which seems at odds with your figures.
    When my supplier changed hands my direct debit went down £30 a month and according to my latest statement I am currently (Excuse the pun) over £800 in credit. It will be more before the cold weather sets in.
    Which is why I asked my question.
    and of course from Oct to Mar we will all be getting a £66/month energy bill rebate from the government)

Fail! you left out Jacuzzi and Sauna.

International

Bugger, and I was typing it in the jacuzzi too

Methinks our log burning stove will save us bundles this winter 🔥 🔥👍

I’ve just taken the bulb out of the fridge

I'm sure those with bigger families will see a bigger pull, though 2 bedroom folk may see a slight saving especially if you can all tuck in together to sleep.

Those with saunas, jacuzzi and log burners usage concerns should see the winter out safely and already have enough surplus cash to survive ..

Another option is to buy 3 dogs and sleep with one on each side , with one on top of as the North America Indians did , which became the name of the rock band in the 70's called 3 Dog Night ..

Small one, and depends if you can do it safely, but ovens create a lot of heat - you can get the benefit of a radiator being on for 20 mins or so by leaving the door open after cooking. Surprisingly effective and a good re-use of created heat.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Small one, and depends if you can do it safely, but ovens create a lot of heat - you can get the benefit of a radiator being on for 20 mins or so by leaving the door open after cooking. Surprisingly effective and a good re-use of created heat.
    Your heart's in the right place. Your health and safety is on the ****ing moon

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I’ve just taken the bulb out of the fridge
    Nice one.I've installed a walk through 4 minute shower system. Sprinklers,then shower and shampoo.Then soft brushes as not to damage the body work,then a final rinse.Optional hair air blow dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Your heart's in the right place. Your health and safety is on the ****ing moon
    Ha, I know..I live alone most of the time and it does work!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Or you could use the radiator as a slow cooker

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Or you could use the radiator as a slow cooker
    I've been using the slow cooker as a radiator.