+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T Petrol Consumption Tips

O/T Petrol Consumption Tips

Currently doing about 30mpg , what’s the most efficient motorway speeds for a car these days , 56mph ?

International

Re: O/T Petrol Consumption Tips

55 is best but a bit slow so 55 to 65 is efficient and a reasonable speed, anticipate and try not to use your brakes for as long as possible, don't accelerate quickly.

Why is 55 mph the most efficient speed?
    It turns out that when it comes to wind resistance, at 30 mph wind resistance is four times as great compared to when a car is going 30 mph. When wind resistance hits 55 mph, the curve begins to rise almost vertically, so at 65 mph, wind resistance is greater than at 55 mph.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...0illegal%20too).

Although RAC say 45 to 55 way to slow for motorways

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/h...l-saving-tips/

Driving at a constant speed helps, though it's not easy to do on our roads.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Driving at a constant speed helps, though it's not easy to do on our roads.
    Sport mode I do about 18MPG

Eco about 30 MPG

buy electric

Far too many drivers will accelerate hard then brake sharply, rather being more gentle on the gas and driving at a constant speed.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    buy electric
    Ha I was thinking of the electric on salary sacrifice, however as I have family in Yorkshire I just prefer to drive on one tank rather than take 3 stops to recharge ( and that was a Tesla)

Have Mercedes diesel B class....on everyday journeys I get around 50-55mpg.....on long motorway trips (70mph) I get around 60-65mpg, especially if I set on cruise control.....electric? no way...

Currently have a Ranger pick up which does 34mpg at the absolute most, taken delivery of a hybrid suv today so be interesting to see how big the difference is.

Try coasting in neutral gear
    I can get from the Caerphilly mountain snack bar to Morrisons supermarket in Caerphilly as long as the lights outside The Malcolm Uphill are green
    That’s nearly two miles
    On the way back I can get from the Travellers Rest to Cardiff Bay 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Currently doing about 30mpg , what’s the most efficient motorway speeds for a car these days , 56mph ?
    Drove to West Brom and back last night from Surrey in a BMW 5 Series Diesel with 2 of my boys. Used cruise control as much as possible at 70 mph in EcoPro mode (whatever that is) and got 47mpg (it IS 10 years old….)

Steady driving, as mentioned elsewhere, helps plus saves on consumables like brakes and tyres.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Drove to West Brom and back last night from Surrey in a BMW 5 Series Diesel with 2 of my boys. Used cruise control as much as possible at 70 mph in EcoPro mode (whatever that is) and got 47mpg (it IS 10 years old….)

Steady driving, as mentioned elsewhere, helps plus saves on consumables like brakes and tyres.
    Cruise control on motorways or bypasses helps a lot. I drive a Renault Captur and using cruise, driving to Brizzle and back via Eastern Ave M4 I'm getting just under 700 miles to a tank, that's about 56 miles/gallon. Without using cruise I was getting under 600.

Revving the shit out of the engine in a supermarket car park at 11pm does wonders for mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Ha I was thinking of the electric on salary sacrifice, however as I have family in Yorkshire I just prefer to drive on one tank rather than take 3 stops to recharge ( and that was a Tesla)
    We have a Tesla model 3 (basic model) and we get 200+ miles on a full charge of normal driving, 250+ with easy motorway driving.

I can get from Cardiff to Leeds without stopping once to charge, with change in the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    We have a Tesla model 3 (basic model) and we get 200+ miles on a full charge of normal driving, 250+ with easy motorway driving.

I can get from Cardiff to Leeds without stopping once to charge, with change in the battery.
    I’m talking North Yorkshire and the A64 is often gridlocked , which would drain what remaining charge was left , I’m sure the winter would drain it even more , that said I may look at one in a few years time

International

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post

Thats not too bad, still not good for a leeds away trip in a day though!

International

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Cruise control on motorways or bypasses helps a lot. I drive a Renault Captur and using cruise, driving to Brizzle and back via Eastern Ave M4 I'm getting just under 700 miles to a tank, that's about 56 miles/gallon. Without using cruise I was getting under 600.
    Thats good, at what speed?

It's worth signing up to this:
    https://app.petrolprices.com/map?fue....1952&z=11&d=5

Cheapest fuel is currently at Morrisons in Llanishen (169p for unleaded) Although it is coming down, the bastards really are rinsing us at the moment. I think at the moment it's well worth rewarding those providing the cheapest prices, even if it's by a few pence

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It's worth signing up to this:
    https://app.petrolprices.com/map?fue....1952&z=11&d=5

Cheapest fuel is currently at Morrisons in Llanishen (169p for unleaded) Although it is coming down, the bastards really are rinsing us at the moment. I think at the moment it's well worth rewarding those providing the cheapest prices, even if it's by a few pence
    Does it work out what distance it becomes uneconomical to drive to a cheaper petrol station?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Does it work out what distance it becomes uneconomical to drive to a cheaper petrol station?
    Nope..although thats a fair point. I have a choice of about 5 within a mile or so, so I'll always go cheapest now on principle.

International

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Thats good, at what speed?
    Well this Tuesday I almost ran over the man with the red flag.

But seriously on dual carriageways and motorways I set the cruise about 76 MPH and on 50MPH roads like Eastern Ave I set it at 55/56.
    Like others I try to anticipate more to lessen the need for hard braking and acceleration. And this morning I finally got over the 700 mark, 427 done and 285 left in the tank.

The silly thing is that my company pays for the fuel so I don't know why I bother
    What another poster says about cheaper fuel I always use Tesco because I get the points and as I say, I'm not paying.

But seriously on dual carriageways and motorways I set the cruise about 76 MPH and on 50MPH roads like Eastern Ave I set it at 55/56.
    Like others I try to anticipate more to lessen the need for hard braking and acceleration. And this morning I finally got over the 700 mark, 427 done and 285 left in the tank.

The silly thing is that my company pays for the fuel so I don't know why I bother
    What another poster says about cheaper fuel I always use Tesco because I get the points and as I say, I'm not paying.
    55/56 mph on Eastern Avenue? That’s asking for a ticket.

International

Thats good I've notice more cars on cruise control and a lot seem to have dropped down to 60, i've tried 66 which has made a difference to MPG without feeling rificulously slow. (on the motorway not in the 20mph zones)

I've just sold my McLaren bloody worthless now