+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Watching Wolves

Watching Wolves

Bloody annoying how far we’ve slipped below them since the middle of the last decade, beating them a few times at Molineux, going up with them etc. Same with Palace as well I s’pose, we missed so many opportunities

Re: Watching Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Bloody annoying how far we’ve slipped below them since the middle of the last decade, beating them a few times at Molineux, going up with them etc. Same with Palace as well I s’pose, we missed so many opportunities
    Yeah, used to feel the same about Stoke after losing to them in the playoffs. Wouldn't swap places with them now though!

Brighton always annoys me , 2 points difference and we beat them down there

on the other hand you could look at half the teams in league one and feel glad we aren't in their shoes

I feel the same about Leicester, who we beat over two legs in 2010, in the play-off semi finals. Look how far apart we re now as football clubs.

Swings and roundabouts. Look at Blackpool and Portsmouth, I wouldn’t trade our last decade for theirs.

Add Leicester to that list too…..think things might be getting better for us now but it’s taken Tan 11 years to get it right maybe

Southampton , Brighton we should be competing with

Wolves are a big club , bigger than Birmingham , West Brom , Leicester

On a par with Villa I think

Right Maybe ? On or off the field, or both ? It takes more than money to get a football club “ right”

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Swings and roundabouts. Look at Blackpool and Portsmouth, I wouldn’t trade our last decade for theirs.
    Blackpool finished above us last season.

Wolves have become so boring in recent years as well.

I agree about Brightonin particular - one team with a coherent policy when it comes to recruitment, tactical approach, youth development etc. and the other, well, what can you say? At least things seem to be improving a bit now, but it would have been so much better if all of that Tan money could have been spent on a model like Brighton’s.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Southampton , Brighton we should be competing with

Wolves are a big club , bigger than Birmingham , West Brom , Leicester

On a par with Villa I think
    Villa 9th

http://european-football-statistics....eague/astv.htm

Birmingham 15th
    http://european-football-statistics....eague/birc.htm

Wolves 14th
    http://european-football-statistics....eague/wolw.htm

Leicester 17th

http://european-football-statistics....eague/leic.htm

West Brom 18th
    http://european-football-statistics....league/wba.htm

Wolves are a Jorge Mendes money laundering scheme. I'm glad we're not competing with the crooked f***ers.

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    Wolves are a Jorge Mendes money laundering scheme. I'm glad we're not competing with the crooked f***ers.
    Exactly. They might’ve enjoyed a few years in the sun but it’ll fall apart just as fast. Could even see them going down this year and everything imploding from there.

I’d be more interested in us emulating a Brighton or a Palace.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Exactly. They might’ve enjoyed a few years in the sun but it’ll fall apart just as fast.
    They won the Championship in 2017/18 and have since had four seasons in the Premier League, in which they finished 7th, 7th, 13th and 10th. I’d say they’re doing just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    This is the one that bugs me as well. They were shite. We were better then them. We went down.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    They won the Championship in 2017/18 and have since had four seasons in the Premier League, in which they finished 7th, 7th, 13th and 10th. I’d say they’re doing just fine.
    They’re a one trick pony, signing Mendes clients. That’ll dry up pretty soon. Oh, and he makes them sign some right duffers sometimes for tens of millions as well when he fancies a pay day.

Have a look a their message board if you want to see how happy they are. They’ve been promised the earth and delivered a meh

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Only after they lost to Man City and we beat Man Utd on the final day of the season. They were five points clear of us after 37 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I feel the same about Leicester, who we beat over two legs in 2010, in the play-off semi finals. Look how far apart we re now as football clubs.
    I have a sneaking suspicion that Leicester will be playing in the Championship next season.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    They’re a one trick pony, signing Mendes clients. That’ll dry up pretty soon. Oh, and he makes them sign some right duffers sometimes for tens of millions as well when he fancies a pay day.
    I love this kind of stuff. Brilliant. Name any club that does well and there will people saying oh, they’ll go to pot soon enough, it’s only a matter of time, blah blah blah.

Wolves have finished in the Premier League top ten in three of the last four seasons. The lowest they’ve finished is 13th. If they’re a one trick pony, I reckon it’s a pretty decent trick.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Only after they lost to Man City and we beat Man Utd on the final day of the season. They were five points clear of us after 37 games.
    City started the 18/19 season with Warnock telling us he'd performed a miracle in getting us promoted and with the "plucky little Cardiff" card being played extensively. In our second and third games, we were, apparently, happy with 0-0 draws against sides reduced to ten men for significant portions of the game (the second time against the team which finished well adrift at the bottom of the table). Granted, our fixture list got a lot tougher for a month or so after that, but it was only after luckily beating Brighton in our twelfth match with the season three months old that we seemed to start believing we could stay up.

The damage done already was too great though, we'd left ourselves too much to do - we were nine points behind Brighton going into that game and we spent the rest of the season proving that we were a better team than them and if we'd been a bit more assertive and shown more self belief in certain early season matches, the table might have ended up reflecting that.

That said, you get the feeling we would only have been postponing the inevitable if we'd stayed up that season, whereas Brighton have grown year ion year after their escape.