+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 0 PRESTON N.E. Match thread

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 0 PRESTON N.E. Match thread

A team scores three goals in seven games and it’s all the fault of one striker (who played no part in one of the four we haven’t scored in) - all seems a bit too simplistic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A team scores three goals in seven games and it’s all the fault of one striker (who played no part in one of the four we haven’t scored in) - all seems a bit too simplistic to me.
    It runs deeper than Watters.

No one else looks likes scoring. There have been many seasons where we haven't had the luxury to rely on a 15 or even 10 goal a season striker, other players have chipped in. I struggle to see any of these hitting 4 or 5.

Our corners are just to restart the game than any genuine chance of scoring. In previous years these and free kicks were very fruitful.

The midfield needs to be brave and go beyond the front 3, it's all too safe at times.

There was a counter attack yesterday where only two of our players made any effort to break, rest hanging back.

Some positives though, we are certainly playing a lot more football which is something I think we can all get behind.

It's fantastic to see us pass and move and be able to pin teams back at times. Our closing down is as good as it has been for a while. Based on yesterday we may even score more than Preston this season.

Frustrating not to win games like that but despite the domination in most areas their keeper wasn't really needed.

Good points Trigger, I switched off at every corner as we didn’t look a threat at all. Every shot outside the box was pathetic too.

I’m not complaining though, definitely better to watch. Just seemed to be a lack of urgency yesterday, no one trying to take their defenders on, Ojo does this really well.

I’ve always been in the “football is all about winning” camp but you know what, entertaining football is definitely nice to see, even if we draw.

Ryan Lowe has been paying us a lot of post match compliments - e.g.

"We needed to get another striker on to the pitch because the ball just kept coming back didn't it? Again, credit to Cardiff, I think they are going to be a different force this season with the way they're playing and I cannot credit them enough. When we were getting out, we were giving the ball away cheaply because we get up the pitch and then we started sinking."

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    So much better to watch than last season, considering the amount of new faces and how early in the season it is I’m happy.
    It was very frustrating but still entertaining. We obviously have a problem in attack but we need to be patient as we all said we'd need to be at the start of the season. We're work in progress.

Honestly can’t deal with the continued defence of Watters, seems to be the in thing at the minute- strikers are paid good money to score goals, and, having played 17 games at Championship level, Watters has 1, a consolation at Bristol last season. He is blatantly not good enough for this team or this level. It was said earlier in the thread, no other Championship team would play Watters as the lone striker- I can’t think of a Championship team that would play Watters full stop. We are one decent striker away from really getting a grip of this league- someone needs to come in this week, or Morison may as well dust his boots off against Millwall.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin'sReversibleHat View Post
    Honestly can’t deal with the continued defence of Watters, seems to be the in thing at the minute- strikers are paid good money to score goals, and, having played 17 games at Championship level, Watters has 1, a consolation at Bristol last season. He is blatantly not good enough for this team or this level. It was said earlier in the thread, no other Championship team would play Watters as the lone striker- I can’t think of a Championship team that would play Watters full stop. We are one decent striker away from really getting a grip of this league- someone needs to come in this week, or Morison may as well dust his boots off against Millwall.
    I happened to watch a bit of Luton vs Sheffield Utd recently and was stuck by how much of a nuisance the strikers playing were, even the non-scoring McBurnie (who I dislike as former JB) who then scored of course, and Ndiaye. Just their hold up play and physical presence kept the Luton defenders on their toes.

We have nothing even remotely like that.

My view, well, the 1st thing that stood out for me is just how disciplined, organised and committed Preston were at the back and defending in general. They didn't carry much of a threat up front but it's easy to see why 6 clubs including Watford haven't been able to score against them this season. Despite that City hit the post and had 3 chances of which 1 I'd rate at easier than the other two ; Watters in the 1st half when he shot over, Ralls in the 1st half when he received the ball just inside the penalty area and shot on the turn, whereas he had space to run at goal, and in the 2nd half when Watters failed to control a good through ball. Which brings me to the 'type' of striker Morison is looking for. I don't think we are side that's going to create lots of 'random' chances throughout a game - all our goals and chances this season though relatively few, are coming from passing movements, so it's a Watters-type player but who can finish a decent percentage of chances that come his way. For this stage in the season they may not be may, but if he'd buried the one at Bristol, the one yesterday, that could have been 4 more points.
    All that aside, I've still got to pinch myself sometimes to believe I'm watching the kind of football last played over a decade ago under Dave Jones - with considerably richer talent at his disposal, and once again, thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon watching a 0-0 draw. Only 6 games in, the season's just begun.

Watters isn’t up to it, but he doesn’t get much support from centre midfield in attacking areas and that is a big problem. Static in the middle of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    ....I do think if Watters does score, could open up the flood gates.
    I can't understand why anyone believes this will be the case.

So far, there is no evidence to suggest Watters will ever be a regular goalscorer at Championship level. Good strikers are frequently in the right place at the right time. They instinctively find space for themselves in and around the penalty area as attacks are developing. Watters rarely does that. On the contrary, his movement if often lethargic. He looks nothing like a natural goalscorer to me.

Seems a bit too simplistic to me too, but I think you're being dramatic for the sake of it. Has anyone actually said it's all the fault of one striker?

However, Watters is quite obviously a significant part of the problem. To suggest otherwise is just plain daft.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Seems a bit too simplistic to me too, but I think you're being dramatic for the sake of it. Has anyone actually said it's all the fault of one striker?

However, Watters is quite obviously a significant part of the problem. To suggest otherwise is just plain daft.
    Well, to read this board during and straight after games, you might think that it's all down to the one player. Of course Watters is part of the non scoring problem, but I still say that only against Birmingham and Bristol have the chances a striker could be blamed for missing been created.

Well, to read this board during and straight after games, you might think that it's all down to the one player. Of course Watters is part of the non scoring problem, but I still say that only against Birmingham and Bristol have the chances a striker could be blamed for missing been created.
    I am 100% convinced his lethargic movement in and around the penalty are a major factor in bringing about that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    It was very frustrating but still entertaining. We obviously have a problem in attack but we need to be patient as we all said we'd need to be at the start of the season. We're work in progress.

Careful though, any semblance of optimism could get you in trouble on here.

Some shooting practice this week wouldn't go amiss mind.

As has already been alluded to by TLG, whilst Watters may not have had a load of out-and-out chances, his movement and often what looks like flat out refusal to get into the box/a decent position contributes greatly to the fact he’s been short on chances. I am not having that it’s the midfield’s fault in the slightest, nor is it the fault of the wingers. The midfield has been an infinite improvement on last season, and the wingers have each played their part in at least one game or more, which is far more than can be said of Watters.

Went to the match yesterday. Didn't see any goals. Came home. Had a great time. Will go again.

I don't think its all his fault but he's obviously not good enough and nothing in his past suggest he will be good. Our overall XG is bad so we need somebody when those few chances come, something happens. He's not Andy Cole where missing 10 doesn't matter as another 10 will come in the second half.

Harris has a much better record at this level and whilst i don't think he's the answer if he doesn't start instead of Watters next game i might have to write a strongly worded complaint to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Went to the match yesterday. Didn't see any goals. Came home. Had a great time. Will go again.
    Didn't go to the game yesterday. Watched a stream. No goals. But still dominated. Enjoyed it. Will watch again.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Didn't go to the game yesterday. Watched a stream. No goals. But still dominated. Enjoyed it. Will watch again.

Glad to see people like you on here after a performance like that! Thought it would be all doom and gloom because we didn't score.

I think the goals will come. Not sure I buy into the "the goals will come thick and fast for Watters after he scores his first" argument but I do think someone's going to score goals if we keep creating this many chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post

Glad to see people like you on here after a performance like that! Thought it would be all doom and gloom because we didn't score.

I think the goals will come. Not sure I buy into the "the goals will come thick and fast for Watters after he scores his first" argument but I do think someone's going to score goals if we keep creating this many chances.
    That was my feeling yesterday too. We were a gnats dick away from a couple of corkers and even the corner we tried in the first have was good to see (obviously the execution was poor but it could so easily have been brilliant). It was a really good match and there's a smidgen of frustration but I had a great afternoon and I'm looking forward to Tuesday night (and never look forward to Tuesday night football!).

a Preston supporting mate was very complimentary about us, saying we completely dominated the midfield and that's usually where they are strong.
    plenty of positives from yesterday.

That was my feeling yesterday too. We were a gnats dick away from a couple of corkers and even the corner we tried in the first have was good to see (obviously the execution was poor but it could so easily have been brilliant). It was a really good match and there's a smidgen of frustration but I had a great afternoon and I'm looking forward to Tuesday night (and never look forward to Tuesday night football!).
    Some common sense at last.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    I don't think its all his fault but he's obviously not good enough and nothing in his past suggest he will be good. Our overall XG is bad so we need somebody when those few chances come, something happens. He's not Andy Cole where missing 10 doesn't matter as another 10 will come in the second half.

Harris has a much better record at this level and whilst i don't think he's the answer if he doesn't start instead of Watters next game i might have to write a strongly worded complaint to the club.
    How has Harris got ‘a much better record at this level’ ? Six goals in 52 games is hardly prolific is it. Plus the fact that Watters is much less experienced in the Championship (only 17 appearances) and I bet that was the first time he has actually played a full game. He is still learning at this level. Its a very unfair comparison. My opinion is that Watters has much more potential - his overall goal scoring record is much better than Harris.

Let's be honest, guys. We played well until we got to the edge of their box, and from then on we looked clueless. Resorting to long range shots is not going to win us games (at least, not on a regular basis). I agree that we played some fine football in the build-up, but the lack of a striker is costing us points in almost every game, and it really needs to be rectified as soon as possible. Lets hope Etete reckons from his knock/twist/whatever soon, because we can't go on like this, no matter how many passes we string together.