+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morison: "I'm fed up of defending [strikers]"

Morison: "I'm fed up of defending [strikers]"

Cardiff City manager Steve Morison had some stern words to offer his misfiring strikers after yet more golden opportunities went begging in the 2-0 derby defeat by Bristol City.

"What did I say to them? I told them today 'I'm fed up of defending you, you've got to put the ball in the back of the net. That's your job. You get your moments, you have to put the ball in the back of the net'," Morison said of his strikers. "That's exactly what I told them. But the plus point is, we are getting them the chances, they just need to put the ball in the back of the net.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...steve-24814822

Chances on us getting a loan in before the deadline? Probably 99.99%.

Re: Morison: "I'm fed up of defending [strikers]"

I didn't think it was acceptable to blame the strikers?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I didn't think it was acceptable to blame the strikers?
    On Friday afternoon, in response to being asked if his team needed more a goal threat, Morison said: "If Steve Bruce was here, would you say that to him? I think it’s quite disrespectful to the players who are here. They are good players who have scored goals at their level. If I had Karlan Grant, would you ask me the same question?"

I thought that was one of the dumbest things he's said so far. Karlan Grant has scored 43 goals in 126 Championship and Premier League appearances. The contrast with Max Watters, Mark Harris and Kion Etete couldn't be much more stark.

He's singing a different tune today, though.

Steve Morison in throwing his own players under the bus after a defeat shocker

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    Cardiff City manager Steve Morison had some stern words to offer his misfiring strikers after yet more golden opportunities went begging in the 2-0 derby defeat by Bristol City.

"What did I say to them? I told them today 'I'm fed up of defending you, you've got to put the ball in the back of the net. That's your job. You get your moments, you have to put the ball in the back of the net'," Morison said of his strikers. "That's exactly what I told them. But the plus point is, we are getting them the chances, they just need to put the ball in the back of the net.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...steve-24814822

Chances on us getting a loan in before the deadline? Probably 99.99%.
    Hugill on the way I hear.

When Morison got the gig initially, he bought in two forwards at the first opportunity.
    He could see then that what we had wasn't good enough or experienced enough.
    Whilst changing the squad completely, he has only bought in one young inexperienced striker, who hasn't played 90 minutes of football in total since arriving.
    The problem that he identified initially is still a glaring problem and needs to be addressed before all that other good work in recruitment goes to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    When Morison got the gig initially, he bought in two forwards at the first opportunity.
    Whilst changing the squad completely, he has only bought in one young inexperienced striker, who hasn't played 90 minutes of football in total since arriving.
    The problem that he identified initially is still a glaring problem and needs to be addressed before all that other good work in recruitment goes to waste.
    Strikers cost the most money and if you're loaning them then you're in a bun fight for anyone with even the slightest bit of pedigree. I think we've set our targets high. I understand like most of the championship we were interested in Liam Delap and at one point we were pretty close; Man City impressed with our work with Doyle last season, but ultimately got undone by his Dad being at Stoke.

I dont know who else is on that list of targets or who has been but I'm guessing some of the frustration from Morison at the moment is because they are trying but little is actually sticking. I'm not sure there have been many strikers join Championship clubs this season who if we had signed would have appeased the supporters.

Hopefully things now start to loosen up and some players become available. If we can lose some of the dead weight from the squad I'd even still be hopeful of us bringing 2 in.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    This is a good point: maybe Morison thinks that the players have developed sufficiently since then to cope in the Championship or that the new style of football being played will enable the existing players to succeed?

It doesn’t look like he is correct though from what I have seen so far. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Strikers cost the most money and if you're loaning them then you're in a bun fight for anyone with even the slightest bit of pedigree. I think we've set our targets high. I understand like most of the championship we were interested in Liam Delap and at one point we were pretty close; Man City impressed with our work with Doyle last season, but ultimately got undone by his Dad being at Stoke.

I dont know who else is on that list of targets or who has been but I'm guessing some of the frustration from Morison at the moment is because they are trying but little is actually sticking. I'm not sure there have been many strikers join Championship clubs this season who if we had signed would have appeased the supporters.

Hopefully things now start to loosen up and some players become available. If we can lose some of the dead weight from the squad I'd even still be hopeful of us bringing 2 in.
    Yes, but just an improvement on what we've got would be nice. There's probably loads of 3rd and 4th choice Championship strikers available at little cost who would be vast improvement on the dreadful Watters and Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Yes, but just an improvement on what we've got would be nice. There's probably loads of 3rd and 4th choice Championship strikers available at little cost who would be vast improvement on the dreadful Watters and Harris.
    Such as? We were linked with Nahki Wells (who played well yesterday) and everyone started moaning; and he's a first choice striker at the minute for a club who are probably paying a similar salary to us at the minute. So what would the response be if we went and actually signed a 3rd/4th choice striker from another championship club. Zohore? I maintain there's been very little movement with strikers across the league, certainly ones that our fanbase would deem acceptable.

It might get to the point that we have to lower expectations and just bring someone in just to add to the numbers but there's another 10 days or so of the window and once things start moving we can hopefully take advantage of bringing someone through the door who we want.

It might get to the point that we have to lower expectations and just bring someone in just to add to the numbers.
    Seems we’ve already done that with Etete.

I can see Hugill returning just before the window closes - I wouldn’t have been too pleased about that a month ago, but I think it’s probably realistic in the current situation although we’d probably have to pay a decent sized loan fee to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I can see Hugill returning just before the window closes - I wouldn’t have been too pleased about that a month ago, but I think it’s probably realistic in the current situation although we’d probably have to pay a decent sized loan fee to get him.
    Theres talk of Pukki going to Everton if that happens a move for Hugill may be reliant on them getting a replacement. They may also want to sell.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Theres talk of Pukki going to Everton if that happens a move for Hugill may be reliant on them getting a replacement. They may also want to sell.
    Steve Morison was asked any news on a new striker after searching for over seven months ?

STEVE MORISON:

"Nothing, not a thing. Not for the want of trying or backing above. Like I've said to everyone who has asked me so far, I can't magic someone out of thin air," Morison said when asked about a striker search.

"What won't be happening is I won't be getting in a 32, 33, 34-year-old centre-forward just because it appeases everyone. It has to be the right player. Someone who will take us forward and help us progress.”

"If that person doesn't arrive then people better back the people who are here because that's all we can do.”

"Someone is going to have to become available for it to be possible. Because there are absolutely zero names, because everyone wants to talk about it, but no one has got a name or are bringing anything to the table!”

"The recruitment team are working hard on it. But at the minute there is no one. There is no one there. I bet no one in here can give me a name. I'm not asking that to be funny. I'm being serious, everyone is saying to get someone...

"Everyone has been brilliant. If there is someone on a free who hasn't had a club, they have missed 12 weeks of the season (and pre-season). It'll take them 12 weeks until they are up and running. But even then, there is no one who has jumped off the page."

When asked about bringing in a loan striker, Morison replied: "Possibly. The loan window goes further. But that might not happen and at the minute we have got to back the people we have got.

"If we get a loan player it'll ultimately be a young player who has never scored a goal in the Championship maybe. So it's between a rock and a hard place at the minute.

"So we keep grinding away and I keep backing the players we've got. We are getting chances for them, let's hope they start putting the ball in the back of the net."

Does sound as though as it stands there isnt anyone available that suits and we are not in talks at all.

Id love to know when Isaak Davies is fit.

Just a wild thought here - any forwards outside the Football League available?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Does sound as though as it stands there isnt anyone available that suits and we are not in talks at all.

Id love to know when Isaak Davies is fit.
    Well either bring someone to the table or stop talking about it and get behind the strikers we have.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    STEVE MORISON:
    "It'll take them 12 weeks until they are up and running. But even then, there is no one who has jumped off the page."
    P'raps the root cause of our striker problems are City's rather strange training exercises....
    Still if it worked for Steve.....

If we signed someone with watters goal scoring record and age for less than a million some on here would say sounds promising, improvement on what weve got and he must know where the goal is etc.....

Watters will come good. He finds chanxes every game. May be the type of player he comes good somewhere else as that seems to happen to us a lot but if he went somewhere else i bet he'd score goals.

I see a lot of people on here too saying that when fit Isaac Davies will be the answer. It's possible but, given that he's arguably not a natural center forward or that he's scored lots in the past or that he has loads of Championship experience - it's probably unfair to expect that. I can see the regulars jumping on his back too if he hasn't scored in two or three games.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    I see a lot of people on here too saying that when fit Isaac Davies will be the answer. It's possible but, given that he's arguably not a natural center forward or that he's scored lots in the past or that he has loads of Championship experience - it's probably unfair to expect that. I can see the regulars jumping on his back too if he hasn't scored in two or three games.
    I want to see him back and playing. I dont know if hes the answer but from what ive seen he looks far better than Watters.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Isaak Davies is an attacking midfielder or second striker who would have to play up front with another centre-forward who is capable of leading the line.

Just thinking back to the days of dave jones when people here used to frequently say he wasn't good enough for us despite getting players like chopra mccormack bothroyd whitts Burke thommo for us for nothing when the club was even more skint then that is now.

Plus Johnson loovens mcnaughton in defence....

Weve seen since then maybe it wasnt as easy as we thought to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Just thinking back to the days of dave jones when people here used to frequently say he wasn't good enough for us despite getting players like chopra mccormack bothroyd whitts Burke thommo for us for nothing when the club was even more skint then that is now.

Plus Johnson loovens mcnaughton in defence....

Weve seen since then maybe it wasnt as easy as we thought to do that?
    Ah the Dave Jones shoestring budget myth.

Dont get me wrong some great signings there. But they cost. Jones spent plenty. If I remember correctly Bothroyd was signed after a million pound plus deal for Marcus Bent fell through.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'd imagine financially things were in our favour last year because WBA had already agreed to take him for the season and there would've been a financial penalty for them wishing to end the loan early. Imagine that penalty would've off-set the amount we were expected to contribute; add to the fact we're now in the same league.

Given you can make 5 subs this year I do wonder if clubs are more likely to want an extra striker on the bench if chasing the game mind.

Despite all the above, much like you, I wouldn't be shocked if it happened.