+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New team, new approach, but business as usual when it comes to derby games.

New team, new approach, but business as usual when it comes to derby games.

Just three goals in six games as strikers continue to fire blanks, but is a lack of creativity a bigger problem?

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: New team, new approach, but business as usual when it comes to derby games.

Good write up as always!
    Interesting that you mentioned Colwill and Morisons tenure in one sentence!
    If he doesn't start getting the best out of the most naturally gifted creative player we currently have
    It might be a shorter appointment than he Hope's for.
    Derby games are there to be keenly fought and you expect to battle for the right to play, yet again Morison has left us feeling short changed

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just three goals in six games as strikers continue to fire blanks, but is a lack of creativity a bigger problem?

We created good chances. Watters should have scored, Harris should have too. I'd be equally concerned about our lack of concentration at the back however.

As said above, always a good write up.

I think the debate about chances vs strikers is a non starter until we have a striker that is in the right place at the right time and takes the odd chance. Until we have a striker who is making the right runs and not disappearing from sight then how can we judge our build up play in the final third?

Q

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

TOBW - you and I are of an age when we would have seen Ronnie Moore play for the City. Scored many goals in the old 3rd & 4th divison with Tranmere but with us no matter how hard he tried and got into good positions he could never got the ball in the back of the net.
    Is this the same situation with Watters (and Harris) that the step up to the Championship is just too big a step
    or does the system we play not suit them (I remember Alan Foggon and Micky Burns both struggled with us but both found success with Middlesbrough)?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bill_Irwin_Fan View Post
    TOBW - you and I are of an age when we would have seen Ronnie Moore play for the City. Scored many goals in the old 3rd & 4th divison with Tranmere but with us no matter how hard he tried and got into good positions he could never got the ball in the back of the net.
    Is this the same situation with Watters (and Harris) that the step up to the Championship is just too big a step
    or does the system we play not suit them (I remember Alan Foggon and Micky Burns both struggled with us but both found success with Middlesbrough)?
    Although we signed Ronnie Moore from the lower divisions when he was a Tranmere player, he scored plenty of goals for Rotherham in Division Two (just looked it up and he scored fifty two in one hundred and twenty five league games for them). So, I think he proved he could score at this level, but he played most of his games in a low scoring City side and my memory is that he did a lot of running into wide areas with his strike partner Gary Stevens not being the most mobile of players.

Although he’s not played too many games at League One and Two level, Watters’ scoring record in those divisions is good, but he’s struggling in the Championship (albeit he has played all of his Championship football in a team which has not been that creative). Maybe he would benefit from seeing whether he could score at the same healthy rate over a season in League One and then see if that would help him when it comes to the Championship.

I wouldn’t read too much into Mickey Burns’ lack of goals for us because he was only here five minutes and I think that Foggon played more as a winger for us (the fact that he was hardly in the best of condition while he was here wouldn’t have helped either).

Roger Johnson was on the Cardiff stream the other day saying how he had seen Watters play and train whilst on trial at Bromley and what he had was pace for balls into the channels. We don’t do that a lot, but surely he can’t be that one dimensional. There needs to be more

Bromley didn’t make him an offer

Every time I see a striker struggling at Cardiff City (and there have been a few!) I always think back to Ronnie Moore, who I thought at the time was a decent player for us, despite scoring so few goals. It was admittedly a long time ago but I recall that his performances were decent but his goal return was poor - did we get on his back as much as we have Madine and now Watters, or was I just so desperate for Moore to succeed back then, that a young Master R Dandruff was much more forgiving?

I can't remember now.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    We created good chances. Watters should have scored, Harris should have too. I'd be equally concerned about our lack of concentration at the back however.
    We missed two good chances, but only had three efforts on target. I mentioned that, apart from the Birmingham game, this was probably the match where we had most opportunities - I find that more concerning than reassuring.